The Diablo2 thread

Curses! I’ve been bested. I had the most polite pitting ever, and then this jovan (if that’s your real name) had to come in and be more polite.

I curse you to the very bowels of Heck!

No…they’re just abbreviated. What I did was to list, of course, the thread with the most replies in each forum; however, if that thread happens to be locked, I then skipped down to the first still-open thread and listed that in addition to the most active (but no longer available) thread. This is done n the interest of brevity – and in that same spirit, I chose not to explain my methodology.

My mistake then. In looking over your list, it appeared that you were listing the two most active threads and without an explanation of what you were showing, it looked like you were somehow posting incorrect information.

I accidentally clicked on that thread, and of course I found that the posts were quite substantive (unlike other lengthy threads that have since been locked). That alone would probably be an excellent reason not to close it down.

I don’t think it would be fair to force the Diabloers to move their discussion offboard. It’s perfectly suitable for this board. The fact that it’s a very popular (and populous) thread should not work against it.

I wonder if a brand-new thread would make an iota of difference. When the thread is opened, does the system retrieve all 1900+ posts, or just the last page, or what?

That was me. Sorry.

I have a question…

Who gets the credit for being pitted here? Is it me with the most posts in the thread, or Madawc for starting it, or do we have to share?

:smiley:

I resent your narrow-mindedness. Since it’s a pitting of the whole thread, it would stand to reason that all of us are being pitted.

Dunno 'bout the rest of you schlubs, but it’s my fifth pitting.

I was under the impression that it did stress the resources a bit more. I might be wrong, though. Apologies if I am.

I would like to thank all of those who have taken the time to respond so politely and eloquently to my, admitedly, half-assed OP. I went to bed last night thinking: “what have I done?” I was convinced that I had unfortunately come up with my second stupidest OP.

I want to thank you for rescuing this lame duck by posting both helpful and measured defenses as well as trivial data. I could not have asked for more.

That being said, I still believe that breaking it up would make it a bit more manageable. After all, the Gay Guy thread came in several installements and the Muslim Guy was broken up after it became a bit too long. As it is now, a lot of what was posted in the middle of the thread is a bit difficult to access. Also, as it stands it is, IMHO, a bit daunting. Breaking it up might provide “entry points” for newcommers.

“Buffy” and “Survivor” threads are indeed staples of CS. The difference, IMHO, is that the breaking up makes it easier for someone to jump into the discussion without having read the previous threads.

It’s not my real RL name, though it’s what my father used to call me. I don’t know why, and, quite frankly, neither does he.

I’m sorry if my pitting was more polite than yours. It was never my intention to usurp this title.

iampunha, thank you for your contribution. This has been a surprisingly good discussion. This is why I would like to humbly ask you to refrain from calling fellow posters names. This is not an order, it is merely a friendly suggestion and I would like to apologise for any discomfort it may bring. Please do not think any less of me.

That being said, I would like to graciously, and humbly, extend this pitting to all the posters who have ever posted to the Diablo2 thread. I would also like to exclude from this pitting any poster who may not wish to be pitted.

PS:
I thought Diablo1 sucked. Considering that I buy, on average, one computer game every two years, would I be wasting my money on Diablo2?

The whole of that post was a joke, a ribbing, a gentle pull of leg, if I may (except this is actually my fifth pitting). By the way, you’ll please notice that this is the one forum, of all contained on this MB, where such namecalling, even in jest is expressly permitted (though of course with restriction):slight_smile:

It doesn’t seem to have been terribly daunting to those who have come in there. Given that I’ve linked there to this thread (the custom when one is pitting someone, or an entire thread in this case, BTW), I’d be interested to see if anyone has found its size and/or the time it’s been around, daunting in terms of making a first post there.

Uh-oh. Looks like we got a member of the SDSAB pitted! Look out, jovan, you’re about to get the wrath of Chronos on your ass!

[sub]See, that was a joke. I don’t think Chronos is the type to flame, and given the extent to which you’ve repeatedly stepped on your toes for your fellow doper, I doubt much of anyone in the thread in question took any offense, merely disagreement.[/sub]

I dunno enough about Diablo1 to say. I also don’t know what you disliked (or what you like in games that was missing). Diablo 2 would run you about $20 or so, and the expansion about $20. And then of course if you’re looking to play online, that’s free, but the frustration due to lag and icky people can be something of a headache. Personally, I’d think it preferable that you discuss in the D2 CS thread what you disliked about D1 because of the possibility that some folks there played the original. Alternately, a CS thread “Here’s what I disliked about D1”, or however you wish to present it, might give you reasonable arguments for or against buying D2, and possibly the expansion as well.

The game is too small and linear for me. I have a level 77 Assassin, and after beating Hell level there was just no more point in going on. After doing cow levels for so long it isn’t even funny anymore. Of course they “fixed” that. Personally I don’t see how anybody can play that game for any length of time. yawn

If you’ve got a level 77 character how on EARTH can you say that you can’t see how anyone could play the game for any length of time??

Because it only took me about 2-3 months to get that high level. I wouldn’t say 2-3 months is a long time. I would say 2 years is.

Hell, I’ve gotten to level 77 in less than two weeks… I guess the game isn’t for everyone, I enjoy trying different builds and finding hard to find items, other find it boring… YMMV.

Cow runs, on the other hand, are a great way to bore oneself to death…

Yes, once one has learned a game, it is generally easier to get a character up levels. Rema_Williams was my first character in the Diablo universe. I played a bit of Diablo I on the playstation, but never got into it.

I used to powerlevel characters in Everquest constantly. My first character took me almost 6 months to get up to level 50. After that, I could get a character up (without somebody powerlevling me) to level 50 in about 2 months of real time. *IIRC, it generally came to be like 4 days of actual playtime.

I am sure with Diablo it would be much easier. I gained most of my levels via Cows. With my corpse bombs I could clear a whole cow level in less than 5 minutes.

Level 77 in two days isn’t even all that tough if you’ve got folks playing with you. Back in 1.09, you just got PAed (power-acted)/rushed to hell cows, where you could sit comfortably at level 3 with your novasorc and Burizon and watch the levels pile up. I got 7 in one go once and that was without an experience shrine. I went from level 42 to level 85 in Hell cows in a day and the previous 42 levels had come the day before. It wouldn’t be nearly impossible to get to 90 in a day given the right items and players (and enough time).

I’ve got a level 65 sorc right now who’s about a week old, and that’s in singleplayer.

Woah. In 3 years of on and off playing I"ve never gotten a character past the mid 30ies.

well, i wanted to post this before iampunha beat me to it,

ha! in my time i leveled a new character to 30+ levels in 2 hours! :stuck_out_tongue:

it doesn’t take much effort at all, just a hell/hell friend with all the necessary waypoints helping you and a willingness to stand around absorbing experience points. :wink: