The FINAL mmm-song poll

There have been 3,609 songs submitted over multiple polls to determine the SDMB favorite. These are our six finalists. You may select just one.

• (Sittin’ on ) the Dock of the Bay – Otis Redding
  • Bohemian Rhapsody – Queen
  • A Day in the Life – The Beatles
  • Gimme Shelter – The Rolling Stones
  • The Sound of Silence – Simon & Garfunkel
  • While My Guitar Gently Weeps – The Beatles
0 voters

I would be ok with any of these songs winning.

Well, with the exception of the weeping guitar one. It’s a good song, but probably not even in my top 20 Beatles options.

mmm

Funny, that’s the only one I even considered voting for. One of my favorites. Bohemian Rhapsody was the only other one I even glanced at for more than a second.

Now you done it. It is in my head now, and I’m really liking it.

mmm

I was also torn between Bohemian Rhapsody and While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

Interestingly, three of the final six (A Day In The Life, Gimme Shelter and While My Guitar…) never were singles.

ETA: and the other three also all have interesting release histories. “The Sound Of Silence” first was released in 1964 as an acoustic album track on S&G’s debut album, and only one year later after the success of the Byrds and Dylan with their folk rock, revved up with a band backing by producer Tom Wilson (who was also Dylan’s producer at the time) without Paul Simon’s knowledge and collaboration (he was in England at the time). “Sitting On The Dock Of The Bay” essentially was only a demo Redding had done shortly before his sudden death, and it never would have gotten released in that form if not for it. The whistling in the last verse was just a stand-in for still unfinished lyrics. And Queen had to fight tooth and nail with their label to get “Bohemian Rhapsody” released as a single because the suits found it too long, weird and radio-unfriendly.

Leaving out Gimme Shelter was hard too.

I am gonna miss these.

Me too.

Tune in next week for “mmm’s Best Poem Starting With Q”…

I’m starting my list now!!

A poll of what was mmm’s best poll.

Actually, I’d forgotten that I am going on a mid-January vacation, so the 2000s music polls will not commence until January 22.

FYI I plan on going in alphabetical order this time, starting with numerals/symbols/punctuation.

Note that every submission will require the year it was released.

Thank you all for your participation in and enthusiasm with this project!

mmm

I’ll take up the slack with the Worst Song poll in the meanhoo.

One day to go and we have a dead heat for #1.

Might be looking at a showdown.

mmm

1. First time voting. Am I voting for the best song or my favorite song?

2. Also, I perceive a lot of statistical ties above. Maybe we can run some stats later.

3. Does Discourse allow ordered polling? Just wondering.

The vote is for your favorite song.

mmm

And verily shall it be stated and let it be known, on this first dawn of January, two thousand and twenty-four, that Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen is the favoritist song of the Straight Dope Message Board.

And so it shall be.

mmm

Hardly surprising given the tastes commonly expressed here.

Only surprised it wasn’t the Beatles but I suppose two entries split that vote a bit.

Sad that the only entry with teeth and even a hint of the female didn’t win.

Hardly surprising given that it is an incredible song.

mmm