The Game Show Channel

I love the Game Show Channel! One thing I like is watching an old show and seeing how it applies to now. For instance-

I was watching “To Tell the Truth” (from the 1970s) and Gary Trudeau was on it. When he revealed himself, he said that he would work on “Doonesbury” for only 3 more years or so.

On the same gameshow, they had a guest who was in American Indian garb. Face was painted, feathers in the hair, the works. She predicted that in 10 years that will be the norm…everyone will dress like that.

On “What’s my Line?” one of the guests on there was a female bartender. That drew a lot of gasps from the audience!

And on a very old “The Price is Right” the panel had to guess the price of a Cadillac convertible. They kept commenting on how expensive it must be…at least $2,500! The car cost under $5,000.

I get a chuckle out of these. Anyone else watch that channel? Anymore stories to tell?

MaryAnn
Sometimes life is so great you just gotta muss up your hair and quack like a duck!

I love watching The Price Is Right (as often as Bowen will let me get away with NOT watching PBS) and I swear… I could probably win everything on that show…

I think its fun to watch the older episodes of it (y’know, when Bob had black hair) and see if I’m as good…

…not generally…

Veni, Vidi, Visa … I came, I saw, I bought.

I loved that show where Wink MArtindale was the host,and they had to roll HUGE dice.It was pretty good,now they have some sort of video game like that.Wink was the quintessential host,yes? I love watching the old ones and seeing the dated clothes the contestants wore!

Joker, Joker, JOKER!!!
How about Jokers Wild? Love that one (don’t know if they’re still showing it or not) and Card Sharks. When I used to stay at my Grandmothers house as a kid, we would watch those shows EVERY day without fail, and re-watching them reminds me of her. My sister and I love sitting around watching old gameshows, and we’re thinking of being contestants on the new Family Feud…

Some mornings it just doesn’t seem worth it to gnaw through the leather straps.
http://www.angelfire.com/ny3/zettecity/index.html

I don’t remember what it’s called, but does anyone remember the one that had the boss, his wife and his secretary? They try to see who knows the boss better and the wife always finds out some kind of shocking news the secretary already knew.
Gets me every time. It’s hard to believe
there was ever a show like that and great to know women aren’t haven’ it anymore!

Price is Right rocks.

The only things I watch–and I love these–are the “I’ve Got a Secret” and “What’s My Line?” reruns from the '50s and early '60s, on Sunday night at 6:00.

It’s like a brilliant, witty cocktail party! Bennett Cerf and Henry Morgan in their dinner jackets, Arlene Francis and Dorothy Kilgallen in enterprising frocks–and everyone is so urbane and bright!

To me, it’s not really a quiz show unless it contains some combination of Dorothy Kilgallen, Kitty Carlisle and/or Arlene Francis. I will NOT accept Bess Myerson or Peggy Cass as substitutes.

Long before he hosted “Jeopardy,” Alex Trebek hosted a game show called “The Wizard of Odds.”

It was a game show about numbers IIRC. The way it worked (at least for some of the games) was you would have a list of things like this:

of calories in an ounce of sugar

on Joe Montana’s SF football jersey

of days in a fortnight

of men who have served as US VP

of gallons in a cubic foot

Then he would give you a number, say “20.”
He would then say "Pick everything in in this list that is over (or under, as the case might have been) that number. Games similar to this are on TPIR.

Well, the FIRST game ever played on the FIRST show was a list of various well-known actresses. I specifically remember Jayne Mansfield, Raquel Welch, and Sophia Loren, and Brigitte Bardot (and maybe Barbara Eden).

I don’t remember what the “magic number” was, say “35.” The game was–I kid you not–to pick what actresses bust measurements that were over that number (or under–sorry I don’t remember that detail, but I was distracted).

I was about 12 and home for the summer when it debuted–and believe me, I was riveted to that game show for the rest of the summer.