The Good Ship Lollipop

Recently, I heard a big band recording from the 1930’s. It was a girl trio singing “On The Good Ship Lollipop.” The lyrics talk about flying away and make a reference to becoming a pilot. I, like a lot of people, thought the song (in the Shirley Temple movie “Bright Eyes”) was about a boat, but then, I had never seen the movie or really listened to the words. To make things more confusing, I remember visiting the Movieland Wax Museum In Buena Park, California, probably in the late 1960’s. If I remember correctly, and I might not, they had a display of a boat with candy canes, lollipops and several wax figures, including little 6 or 7 year old Shirley Temple. The display was called, of course, “On The Good Ship Lollipop”. All the displays in that museum were supposed to be scenes from movies, however, I recently saw the clip from “Bright Eyes” on Utube and it was, indeed, set on an airplane. (I believe the Movieland Wax Museum in Buena Park no longer exists.) Did Shirley Temple ever perform that song on a boat? Maybe in another movie? Thanks,

Don R.

I don’t know about any other performances, but The Good Ship Lollipop was a Douglas DC-2, the precursor to the famous DC-3.

Moved to Cafe Society, where all the movie geeks hang out.

Our chorus did the song several years ago. It’s all about candy and flying.