The Great Ongoing Guitar Thread

I’m guessing he does sweat resin. Maybe that’s why the upper part is darkened?

SG guys: in another thread about Gibsons, I mentioned over vs underwrapping strings. I got to thinking about it, and took a good look at my saddle, and on the back side, just above each string hole, is a very faint groove, not much more than a scratch. I didn’t put them there, and I’ve never restrung in such a manner as to put a mark there. It occurs to me that the SG saddle is more or less a two position thing: if you under wrap the saddle is high, and if you over wrap it’s flush to the top. Other than those two positions, I can think of no reason why a player would ever think to raise or lower it, except that if you under wrap and the saddle is low, there’s a sharp break at the bridge which might not be optimum.

:smiley: This is one of the most hilariously stupid things that I’ve seen anyone do in these pandemic years:

I’ve gotten the Electro-Harmonix Canyon delay to go with the Cathedral reverb and Pi Muff.

Getting closer and closer to the sound in my head - which currently involves tuning to an Amaj7 chord on the open strings, and finding tasty chord shapes and barres off that while riding the hell out of the trem arm. Such fun.

Kit guitar: does this sound like a plan? I have a Gibson SG and kind of want a cheap Telecaster style, and thought about a StuMac kit, but after watching a lot of vids, I’m thinking about getting a Donner T style, and totally disassembling it, having the body planed to bare, and contouring it and finishing it to my liking. The reviews for the Donner guitars have been pretty positive, and at the least I’d have a guitar I could learn set-up on, and maybe mod for not much $.

@MrDibble EHX is a wonder of the pedal market. It’s hard to argue with anyone who chooses them. I’ve thought about a Canyon (and a Cathedral) more than once. If you record/release anything. Let us know. It sounds like a shoegaze dream.

@Son_of_a_Rich Hmm, build a kit or modify an existing guitar. I don’t have much of an opinion, but it’s pretty much a six of one, half dozen in the other if you’re planning on planing the body bare. At that point, you’re just starting with a guitar blank. If the Donner T is going to be more like the block of wood you’d prefer after planing it, I’d say go for it. But, I don’t know Donner, and I do know that other mfrs. don’t necessarily follow the standards of say, Fender. I have an SX bass and guitar that I got inexpensively and they’re both damn nice for what it cost to get them, but a Fender replacement neck will never fit on either of them.

In the world of buying pedal steel guitars, I’ve decided to buy that MSA I mentioned earlier, but the seller is now out of town for most of next week. We’ll see if I can figure out how to get money sent to him soon and get it shipped to me. Dang, this kind of feels like I’m trying to buy an instrument that I am not prepared to operate, just because it’s hard to get ahold of the seller.

The reason I’m thinking Donner is that it would be an already playable guitar, and I could just disassemble it. I guess there would be no need to plane the body if I just plan to paint it. For the fun of it, I’d like to round every edge on the body until it’s like a half sucked piece of hard candy. From the reviews I’ve watched, the Donner neck is not bad and that would have been the worst thing to have to deal with. All the rest of the hardware and electronics can be dealt with piecemeal.
Good luck with the steel!

I saw a Sweetwater ad the other day for a resonator guitar and I really liked the way it sounded but I really don’t need another guitar, so I was wondering if there might be a setting on Fender Tone that could mimic it. Or maybe I could start from an empty setting and create one. Any recommedations? I have an acoustic guitar and a semi-hollow Squire Starcaster. Also a Tele but that might not work.

Oddly enough, while I was shopping pedal steel guitar stuff recently, I saw an MXR pedal that did an OK imitation of a Dobro. I read a forum thread that talked about different ways of perhaps getting the same thing. A couple of methods suggested were to use some pretty extreme graphic EQ settings (either each slider alternately set to max/minimum, or an arrow shape with the mids maxed), and using a little bit of phaser on it. Here’s the thread:

https://www.thebritishsteeliessociety.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=558

I did end up buying that MSA pedal steel. The fuzz really does seem to be a Jordan Boss Tone board taken out of its case and mounted on the underside of the guitar, with it’s knobs replaced with ones attached to the cabinet. MSA’s humbucker pickups usually run really hot, something like 20K-26K ohms. So it running into that fuzz sounds amazing.

Juan Valdez, Betty Crocker, and…Leo Fender.

I was reading this little bio of Leo Fender put out by G&L, and at the end was this bit: “The personal name, likeness and signature of Mr. Clarence Leo Fender are property of G&L Musical Instruments”. Makes it sound like he was a fictional character :slightly_smiling_face:

As a huge Neil fan, I may never stop watching this video, even though it is a simple song and I don’t need a lesson. If anyone ever asks me what is my “type” of woman, I will show them this. If you are a beginning/intermediate player, she gives good lessons

https://www.chordai.net/

Really great free app. Today you can look up chords and tabs for just about any song, but they are not always correct and it’s hard to find the chords to play during solos. This program will analyze any song on your phone in about 10 secconds. It will display the bacsic chords or complex versions. You set it to analyze for a capo. You can slow the song down. It will also analyze You Tube videos, although that takes a couple of minutes. And you can save songs you have analyzed in a Favorites. I can’t speak to exactly how accurate the analysis is, but it has definitely given the correct chords for a few songs that had incorrect tabs online. Yamaha has a similar app but it takes a couple of minutes to analyze even songs on your phone

Wow, I just threw “I wouldn’t want to be like you” by Alan Parsons at it - which is pretty chord-dense - and it nailed a good interpretation in a few seconds. I mean, it’s basic chords, there’s a lot of layering on top of that, but it seemed accurate to my ears, and the chords on Ultimate Guitar are just wrong.

where is the best place to sell a guitar? I bought this on impulse, but decided the 12 string sound is not my style. It’s barely been played, would $350 be a good price

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FultPMBCB--dangelico-premier-fulton-trans-black-cherry-burst

Reverb.com is a good place. I see they already have some used ones of that guitar up there which should help you priced it. Weirdly one used one is priced higher than the list price.

I’ve also sold a few pieces of equipment locally through Craigslist. One was a Fender Super Twin, a 180W twin behemoth that weighed about 100 lbs. No way I was going to ship that monster.

I can’t believe I am, once again, trying to get Windows/Audacity, to recognize my Mustang amp with a USB connection. I just upgraded to Windows 11, and why the hell I did that without waiting for 6 months to see if there were any bugs, I have other issues , unrelated to this and that is another thread. . But the amp is a USB connection, should it not just be recognized? THe Auacity settings are no help, it has to be in Windows. But when I go to sound settings/add new device, it looks for Bluetooth and XBoxes etc.

I need to get this connected so I can record myself to see just how mediocre I am. I play things, sounds ok to me, but in the past when I have heard my recordings, needs some work

BTW, just got this delivered today, now I have 5 GIT-ars, someday I will be able to play them all well.

Oh, god, I’ve always lusted for a resonator, for no really good reason. I just love the nasal sound of slide blues on one. And I suck at slide, so. Congrats!

you got a fucking good reason,which I would describe as in the name , dirty 30s sound. This is not a resonator/dobro (same thing, didn’t know that until recently) that you play on your lap, you fret strings like any guitar. I haven’t got a slide yet, that is a different matter

Yeah, but then I’d just have to learn this: