The Great SDMB Movie Poll - Round 2A Winners Bracket {Polls closing at Noon EDT, 2026-01-10}

I consider The Big Lebowski one of my all-time favorites. O Brother is on my list of favorites, but often gets forgotten (to wit, I neglected to nominate it, and probably should have). The Hudsucker Proxy has one glaring flaw - Tim Robbins. I just can’t stand the guy.

Funny, part of my problem with Fargo is William Macy, he generally detracts from films for me except Mystery Men and Pleasantville.

Actually Mystery Men shouldn’t work for me with 2 actors that generally I dislike in films, Macy & Ben Stiller. Somehow they were really great in this one.

As to Tim Robbins, I generally like him. Great in Shawshank, did the job in Bull Durham, I thought he was excellent in Hudsucker. Very solid in The Player. More recently, a very good job on Silo. Most of the time he just does the job, nothing special. He isn’t the reason Tapeheads or Erik the Viking worked for me, but he also didn’t hurt them at all. He is somewhat forgettable at times, I forgot he was in Five Corners, an underrated movie. Anyone could have replaced him in I.Q., which was pretty good.

I feel the same way about Macy and he’s probably largely responsible for why I’m so on the fence about Fargo.

I just added a new tag for these threads: great-movie-poll
Between us we’ll have to remember to add it as the new rounds go up.

Thanks for that - I’ll try to remember.

Some tough choices. The easiest for me was Good Will Hunting (love it) over Ghostbusters (hate it). Surprised to see I’m in the minority for that one.

Good Will Hunting is very good, Ghostbusters is one of my all-time favorites. I love it. (Match #37)

It was tough for me to not vote for Wait Until Dark, but Aliens is honestly the one I would rather watch and is perfect for a Sci-Fi action film. (Match #47)

Rocky vs Little Shop of Horrors was tough, I’m currently on the losing side, but Rocky is a great movie. (Match #27)

In Match 12, I’m surprised Das Boot is winning over To Kill a Mockingbird.

To Kill a Mockingbird is a better movie, but it doesn’t lend itself to repeat viewings like a good thriller.

If I were watching these for the first time, I’d pick TKaM. But as a rewatch, it’s definitely Das Boot.

My avatar is unhappy that The Martian is beating The Wrong Trousers. (And really — for real?)

I really liked the Martian, what I can’t understand is the love for Hail Mary. The lead really dragged down the movie and a lot of silly stuff. Ryan Gosling is no Matt Damon.

Also, props to The Martian, Sean Bean got to live.

I’m with you. I loved good will hunting, and was a little bored by ghost busters.

Thank you!


Match 2 – I’d never heard of The Drop, but I voted for it, purely as a vote against The Princess Bride.
Same with Match 12 – voted against The Big Lebowski.

We just had a discussion of it in another thread, and I also voted for it over TPB having seen both. It’s a really dark little gem of a movie.

Anyone opposed to closing the polls at Noon Eastern today?

All Polls now closed. Tallying the votes

Since the losers of this round will go on to face the winners of Round 2B in Round 3, I’ll post the 64 losers first.

65 Fargo
66 Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
67 Apocalypse Now
68 Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, 1971
69 The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
70 Little Shop of Horrors (1986)
71 Vertigo
72 Reservoir Dogs
73 To Kill a Mockingbird
74 Some Like It Hot
75 Top Gun
76 The Thing (1982)
77 The Searchers
78 Tombstone
79 The Abyss
80 Taxi Driver
81 The Silence of the Lambs
82 Shaun of the Dead
83 Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
84 Silverado
85 The Rocky Horror Picture Show
86 Murder by Death
87 The Third Man
88 LA Confidential
89 Wallace & Gromit: The Wrong Trousers
90 Top Secret!
91 From Russia With Love
92 Charade
93 Good Will Hunting
94 The Caine Mutiny
95 In Bruges
96 Fight Club
97 Rock and Roll High School
98 The Birds
99 Gran Torino
100 You Only Live Twice
101 King Kong (1933)
102 Princess Mononoke
103 Master and Commander
104 The Dirty Dozen
105 Support Your Local Sheriff
106 A Room With A View
107 His Girl Friday
108 Wallace & Gromit: Curse of the Were Rabbit
109 Almost Famous
110 What’s Up Doc?
111 Little Shop of Horrors (1960)
112 Rat Race
113 The Quiet Man
114 The Apartment
115 Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
116 La Femme Nikita
117 The Hangover
118 Clash of the Titans (1981)
119 Pretty in Pink
120 Slap Shot
121 Pygmalion
122 Wait Until Dark
123 Endless Summer
124 The Descendants
125 The Package
126 The Drop (2014)
127 Free Solo
128 RocknRolla

Here are the 64 Winners of Round 2A. These films have a Bye in Round 3 and will face the R3 Winners in Round 4.

1 Raiders of the Lost Ark
2 The Princess Bride
3 Young Frankenstein
4 Dr. Strangelove
5 Casablanca
6 Jaws
7 The Maltese Falcon
8 The Shawshank Redemption
9 Blazing Saddles
10 The Terminator
11 Animal House
12 Airplane!
13 This Is Spinal Tap
14 Groundhog Day
15 Ghostbusters
16 Back to the Future
17 Monty Python and the Holy Grail
18 The Sting
19 Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
20 The Big Lebowski
21 Naked Gun
22 Lawrence of Arabia
23 The Godfather
24 Beetlejuice
25 The Blues Brothers
26 Office Space
27 Aliens
28 The Bridge on the River Kwai
29 2001: A Space Odyssey
30 The Great Escape
31 Pulp Fiction
32 The Magnificent Seven
33 Seven Samurai
34 Rocky
35 Breakfast Club
36 Unforgiven
37 The Fellowship of the Ring
38 All the President’s Men
39 The Return of the King
40 Schindler’s List
41 The Martian
42 Planes, Trains and Automobiles
43 The Godfather Part II
44 Harvey
45 The Hunt for Red October
46 One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest
47 Stand By Me
48 The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
49 The Fifth Element
50 Clue
51 Best in Show
52 Das Boot
53 The Empire Strikes Back
54 The Bourne Identity (2002)
55 Citizen Kane
56 Animal Crackers
57 Forbidden Planet
58 Kill Bill Pts. 1 & 2
59 The Incredibles
60 Project Hail Mary
61 The Fugitive
62 Spirited Away
63 For a Few Dollars More
64 Breaker Morant