The Great SDMB Movie Poll - Round 4

Match 1
  • Raiders of the Lost Ark
  • The Silence of the Lambs
0 voters
Match 2
  • The Princess Bride
  • Star Wars: A New Hope
0 voters
Match 3
  • Young Frankenstein
  • Saving Private Ryan
0 voters
Match 4
  • Dr. Strangelove
  • Goodfellas
0 voters
Match 5
  • Casablanca
  • The Matrix
0 voters
Match 6
  • Jaws
  • Galaxy Quest
0 voters
Match 7
  • The Maltese Falcon
  • 12 Angry Men
0 voters
Match 8
  • The Shawshank Redemption
  • Goldfinger
0 voters
Match 9
  • Blazing Saddles
  • My Cousin Vinnie
0 voters
Match 10
  • The Terminator
  • The Birds
0 voters
Match 11
  • Animal House
  • Good Will Hunting
0 voters
Match 12
  • Airplane!
  • Apollo 13
0 voters
Match 13
  • This Is Spinal Tap
  • Toy Story
0 voters
Match 14
  • Groundhog Day
  • Fargo
0 voters
Match 15
  • Ghostbusters
  • Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure
0 voters
Match 16
  • Back to the Future
  • True Grit (2010)
0 voters
Match 17
  • Monty Python and the Holy Grail
  • The Rocky Horror Picture Show
0 voters
Match 18
  • The Sting
  • Almost Famous
0 voters
Match 19
  • Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
  • Rain Main
0 voters
Match 20
  • The Big Lebowski
  • The Thing (1982)
0 voters
Match 21
  • Naked Gun
  • The Adventures of Robin Hood
0 voters
Match 22
  • Lawrence of Arabia
  • 12 Monkeys
0 voters
Match 23
  • The Godfather
  • The Usual Suspects
0 voters
Match 24
  • Beetlejuice
  • The Shining
0 voters
Match 25
  • The Blues Brothers
  • The Producers
0 voters
Match 26
  • Office Space
  • Double Indemnity
0 voters
Match 27
  • Aliens
  • The Longest Day
0 voters
Match 28
  • The Bridge on the River Kwai
  • Wallace & Gromit: The Wrong Trousers
0 voters
Match 29
  • 2001: A Space Odyssey
  • Inglourious Basterds
0 voters
Match 30
  • The Great Escape
  • Grosse Pointe Blank
0 voters
Match 31
  • Pulp Fiction
  • North By Northwest
0 voters
Match 32
  • The Magnificent Seven
  • Master and Commander
0 voters
Match 33
  • Seven Samurai
  • Inception
0 voters
Match 34
  • Rocky
  • The Exorcist (1973)
0 voters
Match 35
  • Breakfast Club
  • Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
0 voters
Match 36
  • Unforgiven
  • LA Confidential
0 voters
Match 37
  • The Fellowship of the Ring
  • Shaun of the Dead
0 voters
Match 38
  • All the President’s Men
  • The Dirty Dozen
0 voters
Match 39
  • The Return of the King
  • To Kill a Mockingbird
0 voters
Match 40
  • Schindler’s List
  • The Deer Hunter
0 voters
Match 41
  • The Martian
  • Grease
0 voters
Match 42
  • Planes, Trains and Automobiles
  • Rashomon
0 voters
Match 43
  • The Godfather Part II
  • The Caine Mutiny
0 voters
Match 44
  • Harvey
  • Fight Club
0 voters
Match 45
  • The Hunt for Red October
  • His Girl Friday
0 voters
Match 46
  • One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest
  • Repo Man
0 voters
Match 47
  • Stand By Me
  • Arthur
0 voters
Match 48
  • The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
  • What’s Up Doc?
0 voters
Match 49
  • The Fifth Element
  • Leon: The Professional (AKA The Professional)
0 voters
Match 50
  • Clue
  • A Room With A View
0 voters
Match 51
  • Best in Show
  • Support Your Local Sheriff
0 voters
Match 52
  • Das Boot
  • Slap Shot
0 voters
Match 53
  • The Empire Strikes Back
  • Moonrise Kingdom
0 voters
Match 54
  • The Bourne Identity (2002)
  • La Femme Nikita
0 voters
Match 55
  • Citizen Kane
  • The Apartment
0 voters
Match 56
  • Animal Crackers
  • Wait Until Dark
0 voters
Match 57
  • Forbidden Planet
  • The Cocoanuts
0 voters
Match 58
  • Kill Bill Pts. 1 & 2
  • On Golden Pond
0 voters
Match 59
  • The Incredibles
  • Return of the Living Dead
0 voters
Match 60
  • Project Hail Mary
  • The Quiet Man
0 voters
Match 61
  • The Fugitive
  • My Man Godfrey
0 voters
Match 62
  • Spirited Away
  • Sleuth (1972)
0 voters
Match 63
  • For a Few Dollars More
  • The Hangover
0 voters
Match 64
  • Breaker Morant
  • Endless Summer
0 voters

Some difficult decisions here. Repo Man vs One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest? Damn…

Pulp Fiction vs. North by Northwest? Ultimately, I have to go with Hitch, but damn…

And some really easy ones. The Incredibles, which was a hoot, vs. Return of the Living Dead, a sequel in a genre i don’t enjoy.

I really struggled with the matchups between Unforgiven and LA Confidential; Pulp Fiction and North By Northwest; Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid and Rain Man; and most especially between The Sting and Almost Famous.

Some really great films are going to get knocked out. :cry:

I reiterate - all of the films nominated are good. Being eliminated is not a condemnation. With only half the nominees left, most of the matchups should be a difficult decision - ideally all of them would be. It will get even harder from here, I’m sure.

Oh, this was in no way a criticism of what you’re doing or how you’re doing it! Just my personal sorrow at having to choose between movies I consider great. Your points are, of course, completely valid!

I didn’t take it as one. My response was more commiseration. Many of my favorites have already been eliminated.

Ah, ok. I just didn’t want you to feel slighted at all – this is a lot of work, and I appreciate your efforts. :slight_smile:

It’s a labor of love - and a lot of fun!

I struggled with that one, too. I’m glad that most of my favorites made it this far.

I was having so much trouble with some of my decisions that I started making title mash-ups to ease the pain of some difficult decisions.

I mean, who wouldn’t want to see a double feature of Maltese Men, a biopic about a Looney Tunes animation team, along with a sequel to Hitchcock’s avian classic - 12 Angry Falcons?

I think the pain point (no blame assigned!) of the poll is sometimes the match ups are so different it’s hard to compare. Then again, something the more similar (especially cult!) pair-ups can be the most painful to decide on.

My worst was Monty Python and the Holy Grail vs. The Rocky Horror Picture Show. That hurt like hell. I’d probably rather watch Holy Grail than Rocky Horror, but I voted RH because the full experience (soundtrack, “live” productions) is so much “more”.

And plenty of times I voted for a movie that I thought was better, but might not be the one I would want to watch more.

So yeah, a lot of answers based on my feelings of the moment!

In my experience Rocky Horror was more about the theater/participation experience than the movie. I can’t imagine sitting through it at home. Easy choice for me.

It’s great though (just like Holy Grail) in terms of putting it on for background noise while doing other things. I can’t remember the last time I sat down and watched either for a dedicated watch while doing nothing else.

I do think we’ll need a follow up poll for movies that didn’t make the list. As much as I love Holy Grail, The Life of Brian is an order of magnitude better.

There are always several matchups where I’m very disappointed to vote against one of my favorites, but the other is the clear winner. But in this round there were some surprisingly tough matchups for me: Jaws vs Galaxy Quest, Unforgiven vs LA Confidential, and For a Few Dollars More vs The Hangover.

At first I thought Animal House vs Good Will Hunting was difficult, but I realized I like Animal House less each time I see it. Too many parts have really aged poorly.

Hah, I did the opposite. I feel guilty voting for a movie I know is objectively worse, but I’m taking the “favorite movie, not best movie” thing seriously.

I feel your pain. But there are just so many associations with movies, who you first watched it with, memories you associate with it, quotability, watchability, and on and on and on.

I tried to balance all of the above, but so much can be a mood thing (insert Dune quote!) that it’s variable. Thus a very common “ask me a different day, get a different answer” sentiment.

Samesies

The sequel to Night of the Living Dead is Dawn of the Dead. Return of the Living Dead is a comedy that uses the same premise.