I watched it with friends at home last year. They are 30-something, and had never seen it. I had to explain some of the humor. (It’s funny that a sweet young white girl might have a tattoo…) But it’s actually aged really well, and was fun to watch. Would watch again. I voted for it. I’d much rather watch it than Monty Python.
Oops. Doesn’t really matter. You have to enjoy the primary genre to really enjoy a parody. Like, if you were bored silly by Star Trek, would you want to watch Galaxy Quest? And i loved the Incredibles, and would be happy to watch it again.
I’ve sat through it at home. The DVD was in the bargain bin at Walmart, so why not?
Understand first, that I was often at the weekly showings at the Roxy cinema, on the Danforth, in Toronto. I know all the callbacks to the screen, I know when to light my lighter, when to squirt my squirt gin, when to throw the toast and the cards, and so on. I can dance the Time Warp.
And watched on DVD at home, without all that, I have to say … it’s not very good as a film..
But it’s the audience participation (should that be, “partici—” “Say it!” “pation”? ) that puts this one over the top, in my books. That it’s been running continually since 1974 ought to say something. If that run depended on audience participation; well, so be it. This one is a great deal of fun, if you participate.
I watched RHPC not that long ago on streaming and yes, it loses something without the audience. But it’s still a fun film, and I had forgotten that it really is virtually back-to-back songs (and every song a banger). The bits of just speaking are quite brief.
Oh I get it. In the 80s my friends and I often went into NYC for showings at The Waverly (the theater where audience participation originated). Buy an umbrella, you cheap bitch!
I feel like the audience participation was the show, and the movie playing on screen was almost incidental. I’ve tried to watch it at home, and it just doesn’t capture any of the magic for me. And if I’m honest, I’ve probably outgrown it. But it makes me happy that people still enjoy it.
It was also very prescient about the ongoing sexual revolution. I know queer people who were really inspired/given hope by that show. And it still resonated today with the mostly-queer audience I watched it with – with no participation, no props, etc. It’s sort of an anthem.