The Hulk vs. Superman

I understand that’s just part of the agreement between Marvel and DC; that Superman would always be the winner.

Superman grabs Hulk and carries/fights him into space, then leaves him there.

Pretty much my go-to solution for an invulnerable immortal is to drop them into a large gas giant. Enjoy a couple of billion years being crushed on the surface of Jupiter.

I think this has got to be Hulk all the way, his only weakness is how long he stays mad. Supes needs the sun/no kryptonite. In general they pound on each other until Hulk is no longer mad about being punched or Hulk gets lucky and knocks Supes into one of those piles of Kryptonite that always seem to be lying around. It seems to me that the second is more likely then the first.

No one but a Kryptonian* beats Superman in a face-to-face battle. That’s why most of his enemies were never stupid enough to do it. You had to be clever to try to defeat Superman, which is one reason he’s no longer popular these days: people like dumb villains who go toe-to-toe with the hero, not smart ones who try to outwit him.

*Well, maybe the Parasite.

There are various stronger-than-Supermans out there in the DC universe, mostly in the future with the Legion of Superheroes - Validus, Mordru, Duplicate Boy. Also, while Superman isn’t as tactically bright as he ought to be, he generally brings his A game, mentally speaking, to battles with people on a comparable power level.

And really, the first Superman-Hulk fight (I think) in a Superman-Spiderman crossover was just about right - Superman goes toe-to-toe with the Hulk, gets him to take the fight further away from people, then figures out what’s driven the Hulk berserk and removes the annoyance.

(Doomsday was death-by-publisher-fiat).

Doomsday beat him exactly face-to-face. The guy was essentially a Hulk knock-off.

Also, Captain Marvel, Wonder Woman, Cyborg Superman, Darkseid, and Luthor in a battlesuit have all beat him mano-a-mano, and that’s just the high profile characters.

Hulk could put up an entertaining fight, but mainly cos Supes would be holding back. Brucey boy not on the same page, really.

Marvel and WW are magic. Darkseid is a God.

Doomsday was aided by convenience of plot and the fact that 90’s Superman is considerably weaker than Silver-Age Superman. Silver-Age Superman can move planets, time travel and move faster than the speed of light.

SA Supes could have deposited Hulk in the 8,923rd century without breathing hard if he wanted to.

Hell, Doctor Fate and just about any Green Lantern should have been able to deal with Doomsday. Fate by teleporting him and Lantern by scooping up the ground and him and hurling him into space.

Doomsday had Superspeed. Hulk pretty much doesn’t. So Doomsday could counter any move that 90’s Superman tried to make as far as moving Doomsday into outer-space. The strongest I’ve ever seen Hulk get is to hold up a mountain. Also while angrier Hulk get, stronger Hulk get…Hulk also have heart attack if he get too angry.

Superman.

Hulk has strength, but Supes has strength, super speed and flight. The Hulk shouldn’t be able to lay a hand on him. Also, I’m not sure how strong he is in the new 52, but some sources rate his strength as being able to move planets.

By “beat him exactly face to face”, you mean “they both keeled over”, right?

Yeah, Superman vs Doomsday was a tie.

Don’t feel alone. I haven’t read comics for like 40 years, but I seem to remember that the Hulk was strong enough to lift boulders and stuff, while Supe was strong enough to move planets.

The old Superman was that strong. There was one story where he was given sneezing powder, and had to fly out to the depths of the solar system, because if he sneezed, it would destroy the Earth.

They cut out a lot of that crap. (Also Jimmy Olsen gets stretching invisible turtle boy powers. I wish I were kidding.)

Putting Superman back on a reasonable power level was one of John Byrne’s creative triumphs. DC was wise to allow him to handle that. (OTOH, I’ll never forgive him for mucking up Wonder Woman! So it goes.)

Situational. Hulk can’t get at Superman if there’s nothing at stake but fighting. Superman’s main weakness is he has a lot to lose (Lois, Jimmy, Martha, even Lex.) So if the Hulk wades over and puts any of those in Jeopardy, Superman has to oblige the Hulk in boxing match and chances are he’ll lose, unless the Hulk shrinks back to Banner before delivering the KO punch.

Think of a battleship putting your harbor installation at risk. You’re a carrier (faster longer range, and longer strike range.) You let the battleship slip through to your harbor, or let him corner you in a bay or narrow waterway and you’ve had it. Keep to an open ocean fight.

This Hulk vs. Superman is the most talked about cosmic battle especially of our younger generation. However, we must remember that though they may have different forms and tactics of their own, they both have the same purpose. They both exist to save mankind from any dangerous scenarios.

Nah, half the time, the Hulk is a dangerous scenario.

Eh, he’s misunderstood to be the danger. That’s his raison d’être in the Marvel universe. Further, Amadeus Cho established, in continuity, that Banner’s super-genius mind exerts enough control over Hulk that he’s constantly calculating debris trajectories in order to direct Hulk’s rage so that no bystanders are actually harmed.

If Supes fights out of character, he wins instantly. Just plow through Hulk from behind at full speed. Regenerate from that! Otherwise Hulk wins.

The relative strength of comic book heroes isn’t always consistent. In the first issue of The Silver Surfer our totally tubular hero is attacked by an angry Hulk who calmly grabs him by the wrists, tosses him aside, and leaves because he’s not interested in a fight. I doubt the Surfer could do that to Hulk today.

Wow. Before looking at that, I’d have told you no one could draw Superman vs. the Hulk worse than John Buscema. I’d have been wrong. Feh.