The Koch Bros. hit a new low -- killing a rapid-bus line in Nashville just because

I considered the two groups to be different. I don’t understand why large corporations would care about gun rights, abortion, public transportation, etc.

The left has an alliance of (among other things) labor unions, environmentalists, the poor, disadvantaged minorities, liberals.

There is some overlap. For example when prop 8 was happening in California, labor unions were devoting time and money to stop it despite them not benefitting directly. I assumed it was alliance building. Labor unions want the support of liberals and minorities.

I guess ALEC is doing the same thing, alliance building. But since Koch and ALEC try to be secretive there is no publicity to doing that.

Never, ever say that to a Doper. You know it’s hopeless.

[quote=“Oakminster, post:17, topic:685112”]

That’s pretty much his whole schtick.
Here’s what somebody said. <insert link to article>

BTW, in case you have not noticed, we have a whole Pit thread running devoted to just exactly that. It’s perfectly kosher, and up to 13,821 posts now. (They’re just so generous in giving us material to work with . . .)

Well, many people in Chicago thought that Al Capone was a swell guy for his charity work in the height of the depression.

The point here is that criticizing and taking the gangster to task for the things that are unethical was still a valid thing to do.

What, BrainGlutton is new to you? This is his schtick. That’s why he’s know as the Linda Richman (of SNL fame) of the SDMB. He posts some stuff from a link, or maybe just the link and wants people to “discuss”. It’s pathetic, yes. And yes he is.

Your response does not compute within the context of the conversation. Your point doesn’t even make sense. Next thing you’ll do is drag out the Hitler comparison.

It does not compute to you because understanding why does show how dumb and illogical your point was.

In this case the Koch brothers are indeed involved in funding a group that is involved in the worst disinformation campaign seen to discredit science (besides some public transportation item), the fact that in the open they are supporting science at the same time does not take away the fact that what they are doing is reprehensible still.

Incidentally, dragging Hitler into this does make you the one with the falling argument as Godwin could tell you.

You mean climate change, not evolution, right?

Both.

GIGO get back on your meds.

Bingo. Besides the AFP/Koch brothers, you know who the other big-money powerbroker spearheading the killing of this mass transit project is? A gentleman named Lee Beaman. You non-locals may not have heard of him, but to us he is familiar as the owner of Beaman Toyota. And Beaman Dodge-Chrysler-Jeep. And Beaman Ford. And Beaman Buick-GMC. And Beaman Scion. It’s almost cartoonish that a major eco-friendly mass transit project - giving access to downtown Nashville from some of the poorest parts of the Metro area - is being blocked by rich oilmen and a car salesman with his money in the pockets of all the local politicians.

Wrong. Three out of four Nashvillians support it. But groups like ALEC, AFP and Tea Party groups control both houses of the legislature. So every time Nashville tries to step into the 21st century, the dickheads at the state house stomp them down.

“[Railroads] would only encourage the common people to move about needlessly."

Lord Wellington. Had some sort of beef with railroads.

Here is a good short summary article about the opposition, which is largely painted as a battle between wealthy West End and less affluent East Nashville. (emphasis below is mine):

Sure, besides the Godwin you can only resort to ad hominems and not to deal with the evidence shown, not my problem if you want to brand yourself as a spewer of irrational points.

Again, that argument is like trying to make Dick Cheney a nice guy for supporting good causes now. But that does does not remove the evil done during his time in the Bush the lesser administration.

Hey! Didn’t I mention that I no longer wear spandex? :mad:

I’m saying that this appears, at least on the surface, to my limited knowledge, to be enough of an expenditure of resources that they’d at least know about what their employees (who are, I’d agree, doing the vast majority of the work here) are doing. Heck, maybe I’m wrong, but that was the impression I got.

Leaper: Considering that AFP is not controlled by the Koch’s and neither of the Koch Brothers is on the board of AFP, the AFP employees in mention aren’t Koch employees. I’m sure that’s probably a bummer for them, as their benefits would probably be much better if they were.

GIGO: You keep referring to “good causes” No where is anyone arguing about the good causes of the Koch brothers. Catch up. You have shown** no evidence **about Charles and David Koch’s desire to teach your kids about creationism.

Buddah: Pics from your mother, indicate that you recently wore a speedo to a pool party.

BG rarely contributes any original thought. All he does is copy/paste crap he finds on the internet, with a smug but worthless “conservatives suck” addendum. He seems to think this has some value. He’s wrong.

Whee! I just copied and pasted some crap I found on the internet!

To be fair, your typical post is, “Another Conservatives are Evil, circlejerk.”