The Koch Bros. hit a new low -- killing a rapid-bus line in Nashville just because

I think you need to look for a, how to put it, organic rather than logical or even strategic explanation. All these movements and organizations have grown up together in the same contemporary political environment, they have cross-pollinated their ideas and there is no doubt some overlap in membership and considerable overlap in support-base. All that forms a kind of RW gestalt in which it makes sense for ALEC to support SYG laws even if those are irrelevant to the bottom-line interests of its funders.

It is the same on the left side, is it not?

[quote=“Oakminster, post:17, topic:685112”]

That’s pretty much his whole schtick.
Here’s what somebody said. <insert link to article>

You left out the part about linking to his own threads to bolster his arguments.

Once again, I link my own threads to avoid having to repeat my arguments.

Actually, what I meant to express is that, for me, it goes beyond “just because.” It’s a demonstration of political power to bolster supporters and gain new “followers” in other states. The particular law is a means to an end, without much if anything to do with the issue at hand. IMO, that goes beyond “just because,” which implies purposelessness. There’s a LOT of purpose here.

Uh huh. “I already provided a link/copypasta dump about this topic without adding any substantive comment. Here it is… Here’s another…”

Christ. Get a life.

I don’t really think the Kochs can hit new lows.
I’m reminded of an old jewish radio play on BBC Radio 4 that ended: ‘When you hit rock-bottom, there’s only one way to go…’

‘…sideways’.

They will! Have faith!

Yes, there is, and that’s what drives it lower.

Robert Caro’s isn’t the last word on Moses’ intent. As Bernward Joerges notes in his essay Do Politics Have Artefacts? “*n the USA, trucks, buses and other commercial vehicles were prohibited on all parkways. Moses did nothing different on Long Island from any parks commissioner in the country.”

Shame on all parks commissioners in the country, then.

The media presumes that organizations funded through contributions from individuals are run by those individuals. I contribute money to the Girl Scouts, my local art museum, my children’s school, local food bank, Habitat for Humanity, etc…as a donor, I hope I’m not declared responsible for all of their actions.

OP’s headline is misleading in attributing the actions of the AFP to the Koch’s. Contrary to popular media and Senate majority leader speculation, they are not one in the same.

I also find great irony in the quote from the Salon article:

Their business is producing gasoline, ethanol, paper products, carpet fibers, spandex fibers, fertilizers, electronic connectors, etc. Sounds pretty damn evil. :rolleyes: I’d be willing to bet that the author of the article, as well as the OP, uses most if not everyone of those products on a daily basis.

Caution: obnoxious nitpicking follows.

So you agree then that it’s NOT “just because”?

One and the same.

Anyway, would this be happening without their approval?

It’s the widespread daily use of these products that creates most of the pollution on this planet, especially in their production. And while I don’t know this for certain, I’m willing to guess the Koch Bros. aren’t big on reducing emissions to protect the environment.

Then the people that should be blamed are the consumers that have created the demand for the products.

And as a matter of fact, their companies are some of the most highly awarded by the EPA for environmentally compliant operations. In addition one of their subsidiaries, John Zink, is a leading producer of emissions control equipment, to help reduce pollution. But haters gonna hate instead of doing research beyond “hit piece” articles, that are politically motivated.

Do you seriously believe that two people who manage a $100 billion business have the time to get involved in the daily minutia of whether a town in Tennessee gets a new bus line?

Okay fine, I’ll quit driving, writing, using computers, drinking beer, and swap out my carpet for hardwood floors as soon as you do. I gave up wearing spandex after the 80’s, so I’m already ahead there.

Send me a PM or write me a letter as soon as you…oh wait, you won’t be able to, will you? :stuck_out_tongue:

Sure looks like content to me. Maybe the news that the Koch brothers are fucking up cities that they don’t have any sort of direct interest in is ‘content-free’ to you, but that just means that goddamn, you’re an idiot.

You bet, it gets old. Now could you assholes stop fucking up our country for no good reason? Because it sure as shit is getting way too old.

This is pretty much the textbook example of ignoring the message to attack the messenger. I suggest we sticky this post for future reference.

In general, this whole thread is just a bunch of weakminded liberal yapping.

There was obviously a lot of local opposition to this which was the core of the opposition to the bus line, and the AFP involvement appears to have been minimal. And the notion that the AFP got involved in this issue just to show off their power is simpleminded bogeyman nonsense.

[quote=“buddha_david, post:36, topic:685112”]

Okay fine, I’ll quit driving, writing, using computers, drinking beer, and swap out my carpet for hardwood floors as soon as you do. I gave up wearing spandex after the 80’s, so I’m already ahead there.[\QUOTE]

Interesting, you demand these products, while vilifying those that produce them, we’ll not every producer, just those that have a different political view than you. In fact DuPont, ADM, Dow Chemical, GE, Duke Energy, all make Koch look like a squeaky clean choir boy.