The Lost Innocence of the SDMB

Unfortunately, this has nothing to do with the various Michelle threads or Satan’s ass.

The ripples of the Loverock shenanigans are still felt to this day, and I am a little disheartened by it. I long for the day when a troll posted something and was both chastised and mercilessly hunted down. You knew that a random post without capitalization, punctuation, or coherent thought was some idiotic newcomer (or heatherlee) in the wrong place at the wrong time. A troll was a troll and everybody knew it.

Fast forward to the post-loverock era. Seemingly every time a new poster shows up lamenting over high school idiocy or pointlessly stupid crap their trollishness can’t just be accepted and subsequently destroyed.

I don’t like having my first thought be “Either this is a new idiot riding into town or a regular is just toying with us for a reaction.” I want to move past the doubt and retort with wit and thinly disguised bile, and then watch the fellow SDMBers do the same (and oftentimes in much funnier ways.)

Dangit, I just want to tear into trolls without having to wonder who the mystery person might be. I feel better now, time to go grab nachos and watch a couple showings of Sportscenter and everything will be OK again.

Well, shut my mouth. It’s also illegal to put squirrels down your pants for the purposes of gambling.

Mully, to quote Asimov from the Foundation series, “Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.” If someone posts like an idiot, treat 'em like an idiot. Let the bile fly. Don’t hold it back; you’ll just give yourself an ulcer.

Dopeler effect:
The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.

I have to agree with our esteemed uncle on this one.

P.S. Mullinator, your response to the “INDESTRUCTABLE” thread was the funniest damn thing I have read around here in some time. I almost fell off my chair laughing.

“That’s entertainment!” —Vlad the Impaler

Well cool. Thanks Neuro.

And no, I don’t plan on pointing out an idiot when I see one. I just don’t like thinking that it is an alter-ego just trying to rile up our collective dander.

Personally, I prefer to give new people the benefit of the doubt. I like to think that when they realize that we’ve “been there - done that”, they’ll get caught up and contribute intelligently.

But that’s just me.

It takes all kinds, Mull. I say go for it.

Uh, Mull. Just read your links. I wash my hands of both of them. Do what you will.

A new forum? I suggest “Trolls and Juvenile topics.”

Great forum idea but I don’t think it’s likely that trolls and juveniles will limit themselves to it.