The Mate Dope

I just got an e-mail from someone who apparently saw my post in the Celebrity Look-Alike thread. I have no idea who this person is, but he likes Uma Thurman, and the e-mail read like a personal ad. The funny thing is, he and I didn’t have a damned thing in common, which he would have figured out after reading more of my posts. And I don’t even look THAT much like her. (although I appreciate the comment that I look better…thanks, my horned friend)

Have any of you ever gotten e-mail from a complete stranger (or at least someone whose name you’d never seen–technically we’re all strangers) because of something you posted to the board? If so, what was it like? Did you get yelled at, hit on, laughed at…?

I seem to attract e-mail from many of our younger posters. Most of 'em I haven’t heard of before. Maybe it’s my simple mind. Maybe I’m just simple.
Either way, it doesn’t perturb me too much. If they ask a question or for advice I’ll pop 'em back a quick answer if I have time. If not – shwoop – right in the wastebasket.

I’ve gotten e-mail from one or two non-SDMB regulars who’ve seen me here asking me questions about Judaism that they either didn’t feel comfortable posting publicly or because it was too broad a question to expect the SDMB to gather the information on. I’m pretty gratified that I come across as knowledgeable on the subject, although I am not an ordained Rabbi. All the messages have been polite, honest requests, and I respond to them to the best of my ability.

Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@schicktech.com

“Sherlock Holmes once said that once you have eliminated the
impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be
the answer. I, however, do not like to eliminate the impossible.
The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it that the merely improbable lacks.”
– Douglas Adams’s Dirk Gently, Holistic Detective

I got an email, too, DB. (Lemme guess: 33, SWM, no kids, tennis, volleyball, golf, catholic?)

I answered it. It was CheeseHead.

I email with Prairie Rose and Shirley Ujest every now and then, and I got TONS of emails when C#3 volunteered me to do birthday profiling. I have IMs and ICQ conversations with TVeblen and Guanolad fairly regularly, and the wonderful, glorious OpalCat has been giving me tips on writing my homepage.

I’ve traded emails once with C#3, got an email the other day from TennHippie, went back and forth with LauraRae for a little bit about her student “Tara”, and had one or two IM conversations with Melin. I have several of the AOL TMs in my buddy list just in case I’m compelled to interrupt one of them.
Either they all really like me, or they’re just too nice to tell me to shag off.

Veni, Vidi, Visa … I came, I saw, I bought.

I’ve received a few…I won’t get into detail- one was to apologize (it really wasn’t necessary) and one was from someone who lives near me. I’ve also ocassionaly corresponded with someone who I know will get a kick out of something but it’s not really appropriate to post…
I don’t mind at all…I’ve never had anyone bug me…

Some mornings it just doesn’t seem worth it to gnaw through the leather straps.
http://www.angelfire.com/ny3/zettecity/index.html

I occasionally throw a couple jokes someone’s way. ;D

I always get e-mails from people I recognize from the board. I love it! I really enjoy getting to know these people on a level that goes beyond what you see in their posts.

Sometimes I get e-mail from people testing to see if it is a real address. It kind of shocks them that it is indeed real. :slight_smile:

I have two very good friends who used to lurk on an old message board that I used to post a few years ago. They saw something I had written and decided to e-mail me with a comment.

The e-mails went beyond friendship with one guy (an Orthodox Jewish lawyer from New Jersey - wonderful guy!) and he eventually flew to meet me. We became involved in a long distant relationship for a year. He flew to visit me every few weeks (amazing what $$$ can do). Unfortunately, things began to get serious and the “L” work crept into the picture, but I wasn’t able to convert to the Jewish faith just to make a relationship work. We are still very close and keep in contact daily. I miss him.

I have been in contact (phone, IM, and e-mail) with the other guy for about 3 1/2 years. We plan on meeting IRL soon because his job is moving him to Utah. His little boy is pen pals with my son.

JFTR - I got that same “Personals” e-mail a few months ago.

>^,^<
KITTEN
Coffee, chocolate, men . . . Some things are just better rich.

I’ve been hit on a few times due to my postings here and my pic on the TM Home Page. Most of the time people send me e-mail, it is to ask a pet question, which I don’t mind.

“Love given when it is inconvenient is the greatest love of all. Kindnesses that are shared at a high cost to oneself are the most dear.”

Don’t know who said it, but I like it.

OMG - I just noticed that I got another one from Mr. Personal Ad.

I’ll forward it to the two of you (DB and Chris) so you can see if it is the same guy.

BTW - What’s up with this Brad Pitt thing in his signature?

Jeeeezus.

>^,^<
KITTEN
Coffee, chocolate, men . . . Some things are just better rich.

I have exchanged emails and IMs with manny of the people on this and the old board. I love it – it’s like having friends all around the country. (Er, make that the continent – oops, no, I think I’ve even chatted with people off-continent: make that the world!) When I send an EM to someone for the first time, in the “subject” line I usually write “from Melin at the SDMB” so that I don’t get deleted unopened as spam. :slight_smile:

Back in, oh, say, around the middle of August, :wink: I got dozens of email and lots of IMs from people on this board, including EM from people whose names I did not recognize but who indicated to me that they were lurkers. I tried to remember to send back a “thanks” to each of them – if I missed anybody, I apologize now.

-Melin

I was surprised once to get e mail about the Loverock thing and the information that his password was his name.

Oh gosh,Diane and ctp,I just got the same thing today!! :smiley: He liked my post where I said someone thot I looked like Laura Dern!Gadzooks! I have e-mailed some here,because I admire their style,Satan,Kelli,etc. But I wouldnt date anyone(no one lives by me! :wink: But I dont look like Dern anyway. And 33 is too old for me :wink:

Try and run between the raindrops!

I got one in response to the post where I said I looked like Velma from Scooby-doo. I sent him a pic as promised but the resemblence must have been too disturbing because he never wrote back, lol…I’m suprised I only got one response out of that. My pic is up on the TM homepage but I’ve yet to get hit on, although, why should the internet be any different that real life? :wink: I have e-mailed a couple of people when I was wanting to get a little more info than others might’ve been interested in. I believe I had some questions for Byzantine about stained glass and StoryTyler and I had some wacky chats about baseball players and took in a game together. I also make sure to mention the SDMB in the subject line so the recipient knows were the mail is coming from and don’t get creeped out.

Gee, nobody has ever hit on me!

I can’t post my usual e-mail address because it looks like this: my.full.name@mycompany.com and I’d have to surrender too much anonymity to use it. I have a more anonymous alternative address but I only check it once a week or so. But I’ll put it in my profile and post a picture on the Teeming Millions page and wait for the offers to start pouring in.

p.s. I look like Anna Nicole Smith. Only taller. And brunette. And male.

I’ll let you know when he contacts me!

“If you had manifested fatigue upon noticing that you had been an ass, that would have been logical, that would have been rational; whereas it seems to me that to manifest surprise was to be again an ass.”
Mark Twain
Personal Recollections of Joan of Arc

Speaking for myself, it’s no wonder you people are getting hit on from your pics on the Teeming Millions homepage. Holy guacamole!

Maybe I should put myself in there and await the onslaught of babe-mail.

:slight_smile:

“Waheeey! ‘Duck!’ Get it?”
“Errr… No…”
“Duck! Sounds almost exactly like fu-”

Well, never got an e-mail, but someone came right out and posted that she wanted to do me… :wink:

Yer pal,
Satan

I’ve sent and recieved several comments about board subjects. I flirt a little, but don’t want to scare anyone off.

*Note to females: you may flirt with me as much as you like.

Was this one person that sent e-mails to every female poster on this board? Were all the e-mails the same? And will someone post a copy here (with the name of the guilty deleted) so we can see it?

And while I love all you ladies, I have never considered trying to set up a date via e-mail. Aren’t there a lot of obstacles to starting a relationship with someone who lives 500 miles away?

I’ve only gotten a couple of e-mails from posters here. One was from someone who wasn’t satisfied with just calling me names here, and another was from someone wondering what coast I lived on.
I was wondering why the ICQ isn’t used more often. I, for one, love to chat about any and all subjects.

Looking at Slythe…what am I? chopped liver?