The musical artist you should love... but can't get into

In classical music, Delius and Rachmaninoff, I’ve tried, their music just leaves me cold.

I’m sure Prince was a genius, but aside from a couple of the 80s hits which are sheer nostalgia, I don’t get it.

Soundgarden

I was in high school when grunge hit. I wore out my cassette of Nevermind. Pearl Jam is in my top 3 all-time bands. I seem like the perfect target audience, but I just could never get into Soundgarden. Chris Cornell had a beautiful voice and I love Temple of the Dog, and some of his solo stuff. I don’t know why Soundgarden never clicked for me.

I feel the same way and they are another example of what I was talking about. Great musicians, but never seem to come up with any songs that stood out. I tried hard when Sirius XM has a Rush station, but nothing ever worked for me.

I love comic music like the Bonzo Dog Band and Tom Lehrer and even the Capitol Steps in their heyday, but Weird Al Yankovic never hits the mark.

That’s what I was thinking. When someone doesn’t like Radiohead, my question is if they were listening to pre or post Kid-A music. Don’t get me wrong, OK Computer, The Bends and Pablo Honey are certainly not for everyone, but they took a hard left turn with Kid A. I know they gained some fans, but they lost a lot at the same time. I’ve listened to OK Computer hundreds, probably thousands of times (as well as the earlier two). When Kid A came out, I couldn’t do it. I did still see them on the tour that year, but I never given anything else from them a good listen.

It doesn’t help that their look says AC/DC, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden etc, but their sound (at least their radio hits) is just sorta meh. It’s just sorta the rock side of adult contemporary.
This picture sums it up pretty well.

This is me with The Grateful Dead. I’ve tried listening a few times but have just never understood the appeal. Several months ago they had a free week of Sirius XM so I put the car radio on the Grateful Dead station and listened whenever I was driving somewhere. Usually what was on was a live recording from somewhere back in the 70s and it just sounded like a bunch of boring guitar noodling.

Maybe I just need to be high or tripping in order to “get it.”

Soundgarden, especially compared to Nirvana or Pearl Jam had a very clean, polished sound. I could understand why someone really into grunge wouldn’t be in to them. It’s like comparing Metallica or Nine Inch Nails to other bands in their respective genres. Both of them had that clean, polished sound that made them a lot more accessible to the masses.

See, now that’s weird, then. Because I love Metallica and Nine Inch Nails as well. And the Nirvana I like is the the slightly more polished stuff like Nevermind and In Utero. I’ve tried to force myself to listen to Bleach more than a couple times, I rarely make it all the way through, and I’ve never enjoyed the process.

Grimes.

Should be right up there with all the indie dream pop I love. Hell, she’s even on 4AD.

But do not want.

I graduated high school in '89. I’m supposed to love Bon Jovi, Poison, Cinderella, etc. Honestly, if I never hear anything from those kinds of bands again, I’d be fine.

Also, college in the’ 90s, so REM is supposed to be my favorite band. They suck.

Sent from my hand-held telephonic communication device using Tapatalk

Try their first three albums before Perry arrived. The vocalist was Gregg Rolie, who was the singer on early Santana albums. It’s effectively a different band.

Florida Georgia Line.

When I worked in the classical music business, an elderly music editor I very much esteemed declared Delius as “Whack-off music,” i.e. stuff that sounded pretty but had no depth. Try his “Florida Suite,” which sounds great the first dozen times you hear it but then you lose interest.

Rachmaninoff’s piano shit is terrible, but he did do some interesting things…listen to the tone poem The Isle of the Dead, inspired by the famous Arnold Boecklin painting; the Symphony No. 1; the spooky Symphonic Dances; and the all-male choral work Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom. If you share my love of dark, moody-ass stuff, you will enjoy.

A lot of people thought Grant Hart (RIP) was the true heart and soul of the band, but I disagree. It was Bob Mould. They could put any combination of musicians behind him, and it would still have that distinctive sound.

Sugar’s albums are great. His solo work afterwards has, however, been very uneven.

I just had a listen to his newest, “American Crisis” that he released two days ago on Youtube.On first listen, I’m quite enjoying it.

I’m w/you on Husker Du; pretty ok but not grabbin’ me by the ears. Sugar and the ''Copper Blue" album, however, is sonic perfection. 2yrs ago he did a killer set of songs on “Sunshine Rock”, that distinctive mix of dark & joyful songs Bob Mould does so well. And that distorted guitar…EXcellent! :cool:

But just listen to Christine.

Now we could start a fight over this!

LOVE the Symphonic Dances; never thought of them as “spooky”.

Just the other day I said I didn’t like the Dead’s “guitar noodling”!

That was in the cover songs thread, where I mentioned that I’d tried to like them, but couldn’t. Then I heard Lyle Lovett do a moody “Friend of the Devil” from the album Deadicated (where Bruce Hornsby put new life into “Jack Straw”, and Burning Spear reggaefied “Estimated Prophet”).

But that made me realize that I love Dead songs, just not Jerry’s voice or his interminable “guitar noodlings”.

Can someone here invent easy PC software that’ll replace specific instruments/vocals? (to draw from this thread, I’d use it to listen to Rush, but with Greg Rolie on vocals).

70s Yes
80s Bauhaus/Public Enemy
90s Alice in Chains

The Nickelback of their era (oh yeah…I went there).