The Next Diplomacy Game! Sign up Here!

NEED 7 PLAYERS! FIRST SEVEN TO POST BELOW STATING THAT THEY WANT TO JOIN ARE IN!

Looks like there have been a few good diplomacy games here in the past. If you’re not familiar, diplomacy is a game in which players take on the role of leaders of countries in the year 1900. They negotiate with other nations and move around their military units and attempt to take control of “supply centers”. The winner is the country that controls 18 supply centers.

Playing involves communicating with the other players to work out deals and submitting turns to me. We’ll do between 3 and 5 turns per week depending on what the players want to do. Negotiations can be done privately or you can of course post any diplomatic messages publicly. All turns are entered into a program and calculated at once. Two map pictures will be posted each turn showing each player’s moves and the final outcome of the turn.

The rules are very simple, see the documents attached below if you’re interested but want to see how its played. If you’re interested in playing, I can only take up to 7 players so don’t delay. I will of course not be playing myself (duh). If we can’t get at least 6 then we wont play.

Game Resources:
[ul]
[li]Here is a detailed version of the standard game map[/li]
[li]Here is the computer-generated game map that we will use in the game.[/li]
[li]Two-page Introduction of the game and the 4 types of moves: Diplomacy Basics (PDF)[/li]
[li]Wikipedia Entry: Diplomacy[/li]
[li]Official Rulebook (in case someone has a tough question about the rules): Official Rules (PDF)[/li][/ul]

I’m down. Would love to try to redeem my failure last game.

I always want to play, but it’s just so very intimidating…

If you guys end up stuck on six, I’ll play, but not otherwise.

I’ll play in a diplomacy game.

Bump. Any other takers?

Not if it is Standard. Aside from the fact that I am totally burned out on Standard, the map has far too many flaws (some of which came to light in our most recent game). You should do the Milan map, if nothing else more daring.

Ah I see. Another map would be fun and fine by me. But it doesn’t look like there will be enough players anyway.

I’ve always wanted to try the Hundred Years War map and its only 3 player.

I’m in. I would like to try the “Fleet Rome” map. Or perhaps that map that extends down into Egypt and such.

I’m still in if we get a game going. What are we going to have as deadlines? Thanksgiving off I assume?

gargynu, that would be the 1900 map. When I first started playing Diplomacy, I was always puzzled about why Egypt was not on the map. Well, among other things, it makes an Austria/Turkey more viable, and also provides (via the Suez) a way to help break the Iberian stalemate line. Here is an article discussing the design philosophy and playing tips for each power.

Omni, you game?

I don’t have that one but I do have Ancient Mediterranean which looks pretty fun.

We would need 5 players: Carthage, Egypt, Greece, Persia, Rome.

Okay so lets take a vote. Who would be okay with this map? Can we get five? I’ve never tried it and it looks good. Also if you want to play give me a random number between 1 and 1000 and tell me how many turns per week you’d prefer and on what days.

A few days ago I commented on a youtube video a number between 1 and 1000. You’ll be assigned a country in alphabetical order based on how far away you are from that random number (closest to the number = Carthage, then Egypt, Greece, Persia, Rome)

So again, tell me if you’re in, give me a number between 1-1000, tell me how many days per week you want to have a turn due.

I want in. It’s been almost a year since I played last. I’ve never played anything but the standard version and map, so I’d love to try something else.

Are we using http://webdiplomacy.net/ again? That made the turns so easy to do.

No that site doesn’t allow other maps. Orders will just be PMed to me and I’ll post the maps that show moves and turn outcome. So right now I’m just waiting to see who else is still in. 4 Places left.

bump for more players?

I would play but only if the game is organized on http://playdiplomacy.com. They have a good interface and you just click the board to input orders (and of course automated adjudication)

Play.

I’m leaning towards no. Seems that every game I get involved with here ends up devolving into complete silence between players and I always find myself butting up against the deadlines and either being late with orders or frantically trying to communicate with allies at the last minute. It’s frustrating and I’m not sure if I’m just bad at it or if the personality of games here is weird.