The Office 12/3

Are you an American?

If you’ve grown up around American network TV, it’s understandable that you might be ignorant of the fact that other western countries are actually grown-up enough to represent things like profanity on free-to-air television.

Thank god others are finally seeing what I did a few years back.

I agree about Michael being especially mean to Erin, but if you watch the deleted scenes, you would know that everyone in the office is especially mean to Erin. “She’s no Pam”. That was how Pam’s painting was destroyed – Erin was trying to clean it as a nice gesture (partly) to help people realize she’s not trying to fill Pam’s shoes and of course it backfired.

I think Ryan needed a little renewed incentive to want to take Jim down. He seemed rather grateful that he got his own closet workspace – maybe he figured out it wasn’t meant to such a luxurious offering. He DID dance at his wedding.

If you don’t like the show stop watching, nobody is forcing you to watch it if it goes on for 3 or 10 more years. Obviously enough people still enjoy it that it will keep going.

If you don’t like critically talking about a show that everyone till this point, (and assume we haven seen the last of most of them), likes enough to watch and have a discussion about, then don’t participate. You enjoy it, if it spoils the fun, don’t enter. No one here wants to spoil your fun. You can take it to heart but I find when people do that, it probably means they secretly are starting to agree, but are in denial.

I still love the show btw, not as much. But it’s still good

We need Dio’s take!

Though one does wonder why someone would invite all these assholes to their weding.

Believable? MAYBE, but we were only exposed to David for a short time. David is also less likable if you ask me. He’s only deserving of pity because his narcissistic’s a front for how insecure he is.

It’s like when I got picked on in high school by a kid who’s dad, may or may not have been a poor father, I don’t know because at the moment I didn’t care what drove him to make my life hell.

Michael USED to show signs of growth, and even maturity now and then. There have been a lot of episodes this season that reminded me of David’s character, (little things like Michael drinking Gin on the job). I don’t see Brent being stupid enough to hold on to a lie like this for more than a day though.

Come to think of it, no matter how accidence prepared these kids must have been, they probably weren’t financially as prepared as they could have been. I knew when I saw the ads that this was going to me be one of those episodes. I believe any show has the ability to turn around, though it’s not common. If any show could do it, it’s this one. At least I think. They really should be a little more subtle for a while, and end or put on hold some story arcs that don’t seem fleshed out. I hope Andy and Erin get more attention.

They should have had Michael set this up through Dunder-Mifflin and then have the company back out at the least minute (what with being on the verge of bankruptcy). It would’be been much more sympathetic and Michael wouldn’t have come off like such a monster.

Well, Maybe Ryan. But see… Ryan and Pam seemed to have been able to be civil at one point. I thought Ryan may have turned a corner a little, but just kept his cockyness.

The writers need to tighten things up. As much as I didn’t like this episode, I wouldn’t mind seeing the kid who got him to spring for his books.

I’ve never been to the UK, and I think the UK ver is more authentic, though not by a whole lot. However Brent DID get fired… so.

My guess: Michael is a hero for telling those kids the truth, and why is everyone getting so upset at him?

I’m surprised no one has entertained the possibility that Jim is still going to do that. When Dwight put the duck in Jim’s office and Jim found it, we discussed the possibility that Jim KNEW the pen was also there. Isn’t it possible that Jim is messing with Dwight? Especially the way his conversation with David changed gears so fast.

It’s not just that there is occassional tension or arguments and work. These people actively antagoize each other. Ryan tried to get Jim fired (and he’s an arrogant douchebag). Angela is a judgemental bitch. Phylis and Meredith are just nasty people. Andy is a pompous jackass. Dwight is creepy and aggressive and so on. If I worked with these people I would look for a new job, forget inviting any of them to my weding.

Yeah, that’s probably one reason.

But it demonstrates another deficiency with the American television model: the need to suck every last drop of ratings out of a show, rather than let it wind down before it starts to suck.

Absolutely. There’s more of a mean streak to David, and his sheer self-absorption is not mediated as much by a generous and good-hearted disposition as Michael’s is. But again, for me, that is part of what makes the British version a better TV show, because they were willing to make the main character not only embarrassing, but actually unlikeable. It meant that they weren’t always struggling, like the American version does, with the problem of having a guy who is a self-absorbed asshole, but who also needs to be congenial enough for the audience to like him.

In the British office, David Brent often gets what’s coming to him when he acts like a jackass; in the American version, the writers usually contrive to have Michael come out of his ridiculous situations smelling of roses after a brief period of embarrassment, and it inconsistency is grating as hell.

I liked Dwight’s line about how in a perfect world he’d have ten fingers on his right hand, and none on his left so that hand could be dedicated solely to punching.

You can talk critically all you like, my beef is with the people who say “i don’t enjoy the show therefore it should be canceled”. Those people need to quit watching instead of trying to get a program tons of people enjoy of the air.

I still watch the show and enjoy it compared to most others, and still want it off the air. My point is that the show’s integrity drops with almost every new episode. I’d rather it have ended with a bang than a whimper. Why do you think Fawlty Towers is still so cherished after all these years?

I should probably just stop viewing these threads, because I liked this episode. People are complaining about Michael’s plot being the same as the shareholder’s meeting, but I think it’s more of a conclusion. In the shareholder’s meeting, he made a huge promise, but didn’t have to go back out and face the audience again. This episode was about Michael learning about what happens when he makes those big promises. I was actually surprised at how uncringeworthy this episode was. at first I thought maybe I was just becoming desensitized, but I still have a hard time watching Phyllis’s wedding.

And yes, Dwight had all the best parts in the episode. One thing I haven’t seen mentioned yet was all the quick “My idea” confessionals.

It was completely your idea.
My Idea

You watch and you enjoy the show and you want it of the air because it might get bad at some point and some how this might retroactively lessen the enjoyment you got from watching it? Alrighty then…