The opposite of The Pit - the Doper appreciation and admiration thread.

I’d like to thank you, Le Ministre de l’au-delà, for your musical insights borne of a monster truckload of talent and for being able to overlook that and like stuff like my band of scruffs.

Also props to WordMan, who never fails to not only have great taste and talent, but also is able to articulate things I can only think of in occasional fleeting moments of lucidity.

Alice The Goon always makes me smile.

Aw thanks. I never get mentioned in these things, you made my day. :slight_smile:

Nzinga, Seated who has given me a zillion "LOL"s.

Skald does not smell as badly as he used to.

:slight_smile:

There are a metric tonne of Dopers who spend incredible amounts of time looking things up and explaining them, but I’d have to put Spoons and Northern Piper at the top of this list (especially for legal questions). If we had to pay for what they give away so willingly here…:slight_smile:

I also never get mentioned in these things. Thanks for making my day also.

I was so happy when I saw WhyNot pop up on the boards again after a long absence. I’m so glad she is back!

Everyone who posted in this thread. You Dopers really came through for me in my time of need.

I appreciate and admire all but 2 or 3 of you. Your patience and forbearance of my peccadilloes and often just-plain-whack outlook has kept me going more than I like to admit.

Cat Whisperer has a unique way of taking the piss out of me that leaves me feeling honoured to be made fun of.

There are a ton of people on this board with vast amounts of knowledge, and it would take forever to name them all, but what this board is really about is entertaining writing. Whether it be a vitriolic Pit thread or a hilarious, convincing IMHO post, it takes some oratorical skill to make a mark on this place. One person has already been mentioned, so I’ll mention the other one that comes readily to mind…

Here’s to you, MeanOldLady!

I don’t post enough here for it to matter, but I’d like to throw in Bricker and Sam Stone.

I’m a complete pinko commie, and I rarely agree with them on matters political, but they seem to catch a lot of flack around here. I’ve found them both to be well informed, and they usually argue from good faith… even occasionally explaining a position the right holds that they don’t personally agree with in a way that actually makes sense to me, instead of just taking the easy road and regurgitating a sound bite .

In addition, Bricker is a great resource for legal matters, and does a good job with layman’s terms for us uneducated folks.

A lot of people avoid it, but Great Debates would be 'great’ly diminished without them, and General Questions wouldn’t be the same either… (and I guess it’d make a dent in the pit ;)).

Also, another shout out for Sampiro, for just the sheer quality and entertainment value of his posts.

Lord Ashtar, because I look forward to reading him, and never mentioned it before.

And Captain Amazing, for being the voice of reason I wish I was more often.

Regards,
Shodan

I could read Miller’s literary analysis for days.

So many of you are kind, generous, smart people. I like being around ya. :slight_smile:

zut’s Taxi Assessment was the highlight of the weekly Amazing Race threads for me.

There’s no way to include you all, and I like the hell out of most of you. However, there have been several times that I felt special gratitude to Malthus. Thanks for your kind and helpful words!

Amen to that…strength beyond strength.

Qadgop, Rick and many others for their expert advice.

AHunter3, Der Trihs & Diogenes the Cynic for GD/Pit entertainment. :slight_smile:

not_Alice for our recent PM conversation.

And last but not least, Enderw24 merely for having such a cool username. :smiley:

St. Germain has always been nothing but sweet to me. I wish her all the best in the coming year.

Quasimodum is one of the nicest guys on the face of the planet, may life offer many joys.

Marley23, the story of Tyler touched me beyond belief. (the fact that you’re a Gordon Setter fan doesn’t hurt your case.) I hope 2011 is a wonderful year for you.

Thanks, Le Ministre and Anaamika. :: blush ::

I’d like to nominate TokyoPlayer. I haven’t seen him in this list yet. His stories of his family–the desire for a child, the crushing disappointment, the new hope, the arrival of his daughter, and his joy at being a father of one and then two–have been moving, tear-inducing, and inspiring. He has such strength, and he writes so beautifully. Thanks, man.

I’m another who never gets mentioned in these things, so this means a lot. Thank you, Cat! I’ll throw some appreciation backatcha, for often saying what needs to be said.

My appreciations:

Another vote for Sunspace–helpful, pleasant, wise, a true gentleman always.
Northern Piper, for many reasons, but especially for the teaching and mentoring.
Bryan Ekers. His little one-liner quips always make me laugh.
Le Ministre de l’au dela, for running the flash fiction contests.
Can’t forget blinkie–his reslilence and good humour in light of what happened to him continues to amaze me.