The Queen Vitamin Hour! Or, what do YOU take?

I asked the health editor at our magazine what vitamins and supplements a slightly portly middle-aged lady should take. I know I don’t eat right or get enough exercise and I am damn well not going to start now. I also know these may not make the slightest bit of difference, but, as Fannie Brice said, “It couldn’t hoit.”

So these are what I choke down every morning:

multiple vitamin with extra calcium

Coenzyme Q10, an antioxidant

Fish oil, for the heart

Calcium citrate, for stronger bones

Broccoli, to make me feel better about not eating actual broccoli, which is just not gonna happen

Aspirin, as blood thinner

Potassium, heart and blood pressure

Metamucil, dunt esk

Zoloft in the morning and Ambien at night.

Got no diamond, got no pearl
Still I think I’m a lucky girl
I take Zoloft in the morning and Ambien at night . . .

Multi-vitamin
Saw palmetto
Aspirin

I don’t take any vitamins daily, but I do take sometimes C Vitamin, supposed to wake you up and make you feel less tired. So I take it when I have a very bad night of insomnia. I also take it when I have a cold it’s supposed to make it go away faster ! :dubious:

I never used to take anything, but I started working out recently to get in better shape, and decided to eat right as well, and figured that even when eating good, there’s no way I’m getting 100% of all thast stuff I “need” to et 100% of, so I started tyaking some stuff fro that, and stuff that might help with my workout. So, I take:

A basic multi-vitamin
A whey protein supplement (vanilla flavored to boot!)
A creatine supplement

Now, I have no idea if these things actually do anything, but here’s my take:

In theory, I need thost vitamins and minerals, so how can the multi-vitamin not do anything? At the very least, I get what I need and notice no difference. And, seeing as I am working out my muscles, and they need protein to get bigger/stronger, it makes sense that a protein supplement would give them the protein they need, yes? As for ceatine, well…in theory, that’s also something muscles use.

I was taking E, a multi, and aspirin, but went off them about 6 months ago. I’ve since notice my hair is breaking off, so I’m on the multi again and I think I’ll start the E as well.

Milky Way in the morning and Oreos at night.

StG

Let’s see:

a prenatal vitamin for the higher levels of folic acid
Chromium Picolinate for insulin tolerance
Flaxseed Oil for polyunsaturated goodness, also helps with rosacaea
baby aspirin

This is on top of:

• Prozac for depression
  • Troprol XL for benign heart arrhythmia
  • Metformin for insulin tolerance/PCOS
  • birth control for PCOS

Damn, I take a lot of pills.

Every morning when I get into work:

“High Potency Multi Vitamin and Mineral Supplement”

Co-Q 10

Fish Oil

Metamucil - (Actually, I drink this 2 or 3 times a day, blech.)

Vitamin E

Ester-C

Glucosamine Chondroitin plus MSM

I don’t take Aspirin everyday, but close. I eat an Excedrin or two at least every other day. I get headaches far too often.

No vitamins, but I do take Abilify at night, for my Asperger’s.

You know, I did buy some Ginko Biloba Bagggins stuff but I could never remember to take them.

I take the following:
an adult multi-vitamin with iron
a pre-natal vitamin
biotin
sublingual B12
calcium citrate

The biotin & pre-natal vitamin are in an effort to stave off post-gastric bypass surgery (temporary) hair loss. I’m not sure if it was these, or the minimum of 100 grams of protein daily that I take, but my hairloss was minimal.

The pre-natal vitamin I took for the same reason, but I’m going to discontinue it when I run out.

The B12 & calcium citrate are my surgeon’s requirements - can’t remember the daily dosage, though.

VCNJ~

I currently take the Costco generic equivalent of Centrum’s ‘Performance’ multi-vitamin. I wish it was in a chewable form: stupid pill is a bit too large to swallow comfortably. I just started taking it, so I dunno what effects it’s having on me. (Although I do seem to be bouncing off the walls today despite the heat so… Hm.)

<< Come to the Dark Side. We have cookies! >>

Nightsong, that’s what I take too. I don’t mess around with anything else because I (mostly) eat well and exercise. This is just a little bit of insurance.

I take a multi and evening primrose oil, plus birth control pills. I used to take gingko but it always upsets my stomach and gives me the nastiest tasting burps.

Acetyl L-Carnitine & Alpha Lipoic Acid
Super B Complex (w/ folic acid & vit. C)
C
Calcium (w/zinc & magnesium)
E
Fish Oil
Glucosamine/Chondroitin
Red Yeast Rice (for cholesterol)
and occasionally cranberry capsules as well

Omega 3-6-9 (fish oil)
glucosamine & chondroitin
B complex with vitamin C & zinc

I find taking the pills when I get to work works best for me.

If you ate actual broccoli you could probably drop this AND the Metamucil.

Jus’ sayin.

Calcium, coffee and Maxalt.

All my friends can say is “ain’t it a shame.”