The Romanoff's

Anyone else watching (Amazon)? I just finished the 2nd episode. There’s a new episode every Friday. It’s done by Matt Wiener who also did Mad Men, which I LOVED. So I had high expectations - which is probably the problem. I don’t know if I should stick with it or not.

Glad you asked, TRC. I watched eps 1 and 2 and I loved the first one but am kind of meh on the second.

I didn’t really know what to expect. When I first heard the title mentioned I thought / hoped it was going to be an historical drama about the Royal Family, which I was actually kind of excited about. Now, come to find out (based on the first 2 eps) there is only the thinnest tie in with the title family. In fact the only thin in ep 2 is that the main character is the supposed descendant and even that has nothing to do with the story.

It’ll be interesting to see where else Mr Weiner will take us. This is one I would binge if they were all available at the same time.

One question: In the 2nd I nodded off for a bit (and I’m not really interested in rewatching it). Michael and weird, limey death groupie girl were getting it on and whatnot and next thing I know he was wiping down his car, I assume to rid it of evidence of her (?) Did he kill her or something?

Thanks for the warning.

Yes watching. Also loved the first ep and … not … the second.

As to spoiler

She had just told him no more and he was I thought just wanting to make sure nothing was there that made wife suspect.

Tell me how to do the spoiler box and I’ll tell you!

Wow, and I thought the first episode was weirdly pointless. Don’t think I’ll bother with the rest!

I guess I don’t get what the stories really have to do with the Romanoff’s! Yea they have the last name, but that’s it. The first episode stunk and 2nd wasn’t much better. I don’t think I’ll be committing any more time to it. Very disappointing. I was so excited when I saw the previews and saw the amazing cast.

I hadn’t even heard of this series, so I’m a little confused. Is it about the Romanovs, who ruled Russia for 300 years, or some other family named Romanoff? :confused:

Is that the way Amazon spells the title, e.g. with the erroneous apostrophe?

That’s i.e.

I was wondering about the apostrophe myself. What’s the significance of it, if any? :confused:

No, the Amazon title does NOT have an apostrophe. It does have the double f.

The actual name was spelled in Cryllic so how it is transliterated is a matter of taste and how one learned it. Apparently “Romanov” is more common today but “Romanoff” was the official transliteration of the monarchy (source). I suspect that the choice to use that transliteration was very intentional.

Interesting. I’ve seen Smirnov written as Smirnoff, but in 50+ years of studying the Russian language, history, and culture, I don’t think I’ve ever seen the royal family’s name spelled as Romanoff.

Sorry for the apostrophe…:o