"The Scream" stolen!

Guanolad’s link
The commas were fine, but he had a backslash in the closing tag, instead of a forward slash.

Crap. I was certain it was going to match the sofa.

From the above link: " [Munch] made several copies of his key works, including ‘The Scream’. "

Ah hell. Now, in my mind, the name Edvard Munch will be linked up with the name Thomas Kinkade. Try that one out for cognitive dissonance.

It’s not difficult to rob paintings (including the decent one The Madonna as well, by the way) when the museum has less security than a Taco Bell restaurant.

Hundred million dollars worth of paintings gone because the museum had no guns, no walls coming down, no lasers, no alarms of any sort.

And considering that another copy of The Scream was stolen in 1994, you’d think maybe they’d want to try to stop it from happening again?

Gah.

Either the reporter is apostrophizing a certain well known American pop star, or she’s involved somehow.

D’oh! Thanks. You know, I thought something was wrong when I hit that key too.

You may now continue with your regularly scheduled art theft speculation.

Ah, shit…I just noticed that they swiped Madonna as well.

Now THAT’S a really good painting.

Yes, you can. In fact, they are often sold before they are stolen. “Stolen to order” is the term used.

There are a lot of rich people with low morals who are perfectly happy to pay big bucks for a ‘hot’ painting, even though they can’t publicly admit to possessing it. Such collectors are wierd.

Damn straight.

It’s a weird coincidence; I had been reading about the 1994 theft about an hour before the new theft occurred.

And for how long did you think you could keep that information a secret?
(Any Interpol Dopers here? Investigate Nemo.)

And Ukulele Ike, yeah I’d rather have that Madonna painting more than the “Scream”.
Of course I would never consider stealing that painting nor would I have ordered its being stolen.
Hold on a moment … Interpol is at the door.

This is strangely and sadly true. I work in a museum, and we hear tales of this occasionally. Usually, it’s an inside job, an employee who coveted a particular item. Usually, thefts of this kind are solved relatively quickly, and the item returned without incident.

Sometimes, however, they’re gone for years. (Sometimes such items are returned after the death of the owner.) Munch’s painting could wind up in the back of someone’s closet, taken out only once the shades are drawn, gloated over in the wee hours by someone who whispers, “It’s mine! All mine!”

It happened at my museum, years ago. A certain item was taken from our collection. It wasn’t famous, so an ordinary person wouldn’t recognize its value, but it would be almost impossible to sell, because the only people who would be willing to pay the kind of price it could command would be serious collectors. For some types of items, the serious collectors are relatively few in number, and an item of importance suddenly appearing on the market, combined with the fact that rumors of thefts get around pretty quickly, would make such a venture most risky, unless you had a buyer in mind before the robbery.

Here’s some more news.

:smack:

I shudder to think of those great paintings being CUT out of their frames. Bastards.

Guess I’m glad that no patrons were killed, but…how big is this museum? If you pulled that at the Met or someplace you’d have to run miles and miles to get out of there, and the guards, although I believe they’re also unarmed, have these new-fangled things called ‘walkie-talkes’ which they can use to call the door guards who, believe me, are armed. Also, the really famous stuff often has a rope or something in front of it so you can’t get really close to it.

Oh well. If these robbers are that dumb, the paintings will either get recovered in a week–or never ever seen again.

:smack:

I whimpered out loud reading that.

You know, they shoot people in some places for poaching endangered species, I wouldn’t mind the death penalty for harming important works of art too.

And I could probably be talked into it for idiot museum directors and guards who take no effort whatsoever to protect them.

:frowning:

Not very big. According to a drawing in a newspaper today there’s only a small cafe and a short stretch of corridor between the entrance and the “1890”-room, where these paintings were. I haven’t been at the Munch museum since I was a small kid, but I remember it as mercifully small :slight_smile: . (I much preferred the dinosaur museum nearby.)

Um, sure about that? I really, really, really doubt there are armed museum guards anywhere in Norway. Even the police don’t normally carry weapons. (AFAIK, they have guns in the police cars, but locked in a box or something.)

The 1994-theft was from the National Gallery, btw, not the Munch Museum. So lessons learned from that theft might not have been applied to other museums.

Heh, and call me a wimpy liberal if you like, but I prefer risk loosing a national treasure once in a while (even if it hurts) than increasing the number of people killed. There are enough deaths on this planet. A thing, no matter how precious and irreplacable, isn’t worth the death of a sinlge human being to me.

Hey, I was at that museum a couple of years ago! I remember thinking the security was sketchy.

Time for another thread on gun control laws in Great Debates. :wink:

In defense of the museum (from the first link)

Much as this sucks horribly, I’m not sure I can find fault with that. If the guards had pulled out guns, this could’ve turned into a bloodbath.