The Star Trek TNG Finale First Aired 30 Years Ago Today

The exact date differed because it was syndicated but this was the first day it could air.

Probably still the best finale of any Trek series. Also probably still my favorite Trek Series although I don’t binge rewatch this one as much as the others but rather just rewatch selected episodes.

Clearly These Are The Voyages, the Enterprise series finale, will forever be known as the best the franchise will ever accomplish! :grin:

On a serious note, All Good Things absolutely is the best and it was great how they tied it into Encounter At Farpoint and Q’s trial of humanity. It bookends the series well.

It really was. And it had the bonus of not being a stupid episode.

And then they went on and made bad movies and bad new series and yuck. Oh well, we’ll always have Next Gen.

A few of the newer movies have been good, as well as some of the new series, like Strange New Worlds and Lower Decks. And season 3 of Picard was a great send off for the TNG crew.

Certainly better than how Nemesis left things at least.

It did have one redeeming quality; they had Archer use the “where no man has gone before” line, instead of “no one.” Then again, they pretty much had to, as Kirk would have been quoting it.

The TNG final was pretty good. As I heard Leonard Nimoy say about the orignal series, “The episodes that were good thirty years ago are still good today. And teh episodes that were bad thirty years ago are still bad today.” That applies equally well to TNG. I remember being so excited when TNG’s first season started and I was young enough that the bad episodes didn’t seem so bad. No, not even “Code of Honor” seemed that bad.

I actually haven’t watched an episode of TNG is more than twenty years. Ones of these days I’ll have to go back and give it a try.

The good episodes still hold up.

Wow, just wow. Some of us are so old, thanks for the reminder. :wink:

This was the first (and probably only) show I watched every episode of in the original broadcast. Had to keep up at the water cooler the next morning, you know! My gosh, we loved to slag on Deanna back then – probably in a totally sexist way, sorry. Now I love the actress, and by extension the character, so very much. (All my character hatred these days is reserved exclusively for Mot.)

The showrunners and creators had some remarkably vague ideas about characterization, I’ve read. They told Brent Spiner “be an android” and he’s like, what kind of android? You’ve got Robbie the Robot, you’ve got—" “Just be an android, and… GO!” So Spiner made up the Data character on the spot, so brilliantly.

Then Marina Sirtis was told “Do an exotic accent.” “What kind of an accent?” “YOU know, an exotic accent. GO!” And so she made it up on the spot, somewhere between Greece, Czechoslovakia, the Bells of St. Mary-Le-Bow, and perhaps Betazed. Again, completely brilliantly and UTTERLY owned by the actress, not Roddenberry or anyone else.

For the most part, I felt like the episodes centering on both Troi and Beverly Crusher weren’t very good. “Sub Rosa,” the episode where Crusher bones the ghost that had recently been boning her grandmother, is one of those episodes that I can scarcely believe was made. I’ve got to believe someone wrote a script or a story for a different franchise, dusted it off, and submitted it just as a goof.

For Troi, I don’t think the writers really knew what to do with her. I genuinely liked the episodes where her mother appeared and we got to watch them interact with one another. Troi didn’t get many good episodes centered on her character until much later starting with “Face of the Enemy” in the sixth season. Even as a kid I couldn’t help but wonder what the hell she was doing on the bridge.

Troi: I sense he’s holding something back.
Picard: No, shit?

The various Lwaxana Troi episodes were always a lot of fun. I find exasperation to be great comedy, and I loved how she could slyly wind everybody up.

Ship being fired upon:
“I’m thenthing – hothtiwity.”

Yes, and she brought more than comedy, too. There was real pathos in her episode with David Ogden Stiers, and especially in her last appearance, which dealt with the loss of a child.

I grew up on TOS, and remember watching an episode of TNG when it first came out. I thought the acting and writing were better than TOS, but it was so… serious. I guess I prefer the campiness of TOS.

The way Troi often came across as Captain Obvious was lazy writing. There were plenty of possible situations where her abilities could have given useful information (e.g. “he doesn’t want to fight but he’s afraid of his saber-rattling superiors”, “he’s posturing because he’s afraid of us”, “he’s posturing to test how tough we are”, etc) that could have been used if the writers generally didn’t think of.

Well, that’s because the writers misunderstood her character. When she was written as the “ship’s counselor”, they meant lawyer. She was supposed to give legal advice. “If we pursue the ship into the Frigellion Zone, we will be liable under Section 2, subsection 3 of the treaty of Algol, unless we file form Zed 23 slash 14.B before entering.” That’s why she had a prominent bridge chair.

Are you being serious? That’s interesting. She made moves towards performing this role in The Ensigns of Command, in which they have like a 30,000 page contract with the Sheliak they need to get out of. Picard ultimately finds the loophole himself but it seemed they were working on it together.

I sense — whooshing.

You sense correctly.

I happened to like Deanna’s character, the Goddess of Empathy, while at the same time siding with Capt Jellico that she should put a proper uniform on.

She has said that once she got to wear the uniform, the character got a whole lot smarter all of a sudden. And truthfully, the uniform was hugely more fetching on her than 90% of her casual wear was. (I swear this is not sexist. She and Riker both rocked the superhot-in-uniform look equally; swoon.)

Yeah, I never understood why she wasn’t wearing a standard Starfleet uniform from the very beginning (we all know the actual reasons). She looked so much better in it, and yes, also seemed more capable.

It always seemed like they never really knew what to do with Deanna. She was the ship’s counselor, so why is she hanging out on the bridge so often? What did she contribute there other than sensing the emotions of people on the viewscreen that we can clearly see with our own eyes?

Marina Sirtis deserved better.

I prefer “Where no one has gone before”. It is more inclusive than just “man”.