THE STRAIGHT DOPE WANTS YOU! But probably not me.

Why I’m not volunteering to be a mod:
[ol]
[li]I’m too lazy.[/li][li]I have a collection of deserved warnings and suspensions.[/li][li]It would require me to.follow threads that don’t interest me.[/li][li]I’m lazy.[/li][li]I’d have to pay attention to people I’d rather ignore.[/li][/ol]

Why should you not offer to be a mod?

Too lazy to rewrite in my own words

1. I haven’t been here very long.
  2. I really, truly, think it would drive me crazy. Or rather crazier than I already am.

I don’t think I could be fair and impartial. Even if I thought I could accomplish the one, I don’t think I’d have the time that the job would require.

If I were retired and had enough money to live on, I’d be tempted. But I’m not, and I don’t, so I can’t afford the time right now. Maybe in a few years.

I didn’t know you could offer; thought you had to just wait until you were asked.

I’ve got plenty of rejection in my life to last me till the next. And I’m not qualified. I can’t even send a text and my internet is like Dixie Cups on rotten string. And I ski. And I’m an Asshole.

Oh, but I want to be a Mod Soooooo Bad!

I once moderated a different messageboard. It took up far too much of my time and was supremely unsatisfying. Rewards were few if not non-existent. Also, I’m too old for this shit.

Do a ton of unpaid work for the pleasure of having everyone nitpick you to death and second-guess every decision?

Thanks, I’m already a parent.

Actually my kids are all awesome. But that was just too obvious to pass up…

A man’s got to know his limitations.

On an average day, how much time did it take to md?

There’s a sticky/announcement asking for apps.

Could I do it?
Sure.

Would the other mods be thrilled?

Lol.

I am, and I do, but I’m still not gonna volunteer. I’m theoretically interested but I know my own shortcomings too well to inflict them on a message board.

I’m afraid I’d be overly broad in my enforcement of the “don’t be a jerk” rule. Plus I’m lazy.

I know from experience that when I take on a responsibility I pursue it with gusto at first but then quickly start shirking my duty.

I’ve tried moderating and judging, and I’m not good at it. I’m empathetic and tolerant of everybody, and I tend to go with the last person who spoke.

I get personally offended perhaps as easily as the next person, so I’m glad that there is moderation, but if it was me, I’d be the moderator giving the spammers the benefit of the doubt.

I don’t like people.

I did consider it when the sticky was posted. But I think it might bring out a bad side of me.

Some of you are no doubt saying “There’s worse than what we’ve seen?”

I think a mod should be widely respected, and that’s not me. Plus I’ve only been here three years.

Wait a minute. Would I get to wear a tiara?

I believe there are unused sparkly jackboots knocking around somewhere

Some of you may remember the former (and late) Mod Frank, whom I had the privilege of meeting in about 2007, when I was living in Edmonton, and he passed through that city. It was great meeting him, and we had a less-than-spectacular meal and a few drinks at a downtown restaurant, but we had a fantastic talk.

Among other things, we talked about him being a Mod. I cannot remember the details of our talk, but generally speaking, it sounded like modding took a lot of time. He enjoyed it, but the time commitment would make me think twice. I haven’t totally discarded the idea of throwing my hat in the ring, but I do remember Frank’s comments, and … we’ll see.