The Ultimate MST3K Thread, Part 2

Little update - I have received the last of my Kickstarter rewards, including the Blu-Ray of the new season - AND we just got an announcement that MST has been renewed for Season 12 by Netflix. Hooray!

huzzah!!

Hooray! More TV’s Son of TV’s Frank!

Max.

no offense but if its been 10 years or more in between seasons they should just say " series 2 season 1 …

Regrettably, I received an e-mail a couple weeks ago stating that my add-on/mystery award was not sent as a) there was a setting in the backerkit database that they missed which included certain backers, b) they did not order enough mystery awards because of this and c) they spent the money on Season 11 and can’t offer refunds. They are working on a solution.

I have absolutely no problem with this! I believe them when they state they they will find a solution and I did not back the project for t-shirts and mystery prizes anyway (although it was a nice coffee mug…) If they do want to make things right, I’d like to be one of the Skeleton Crew. Are you reading this, Joel?

Speaking of messages to Joel, I have seen the Mads perform live three times in the last month or so, and I think Trace and Frank would love to be on the new show, but simply have not been asked. Trace quipped, while responding to the question about them appearing, “Does anyone know Joel?”

BTW, the Mads live shows are great, and I highly recommend them.

I have been re-watching the show a third time, now that I have my Kickstarter Blu-Rays, and I may have to bump Wizards of the Lost Kingdom 2 up a few notches. It’s still a terrible movie, but the riffing is solid.

Ladies and gents, we have movie sign - the 12th season arrives on Netflix this Thanksgiving, presented as a six movie back-to-back riff-fest dubbed ‘The Gauntlet’.

Our movies :

[ul]
[li]Mac and Me[/li][li]Atlantic Rim[/li][li]Lords of the Deep[/li][li]The Day Time Ended[/li][li]Killer Fish[/li][li]Ator, the Fighting Eagle[/li][/ul]

I believe that is the presentation order, but I will wait to assign them episode numbers. Of these six, I have previously seen only Ator - under the banner of the Rifftrax crew. I wonder if the MST crew chose it as a deliberate challenge…

I wonder how much O’Keeffe is in that last movie?

I was at the 30th Anniversary live show here in Portland last week, and was surprised to see quite a few kids (as in pre-teenagers) in attendance. Obviously we older folk far outnumbered them, but still, it’s nice to see the new episodes earning their own fan base.

Meters. Meters O’Keefe.

Leagues O’Keefe

Parsecs.

I still wait for it to arrive on German Netflix, but I thoroughly enjoyed your review of the series! I backed it back then as well, but never got around to watching them with my wife - having them on Netflix will be way easier.

I will be posting my thoughts on the new six at some point as well!

I have watched the first three so far - my house has been busy with guests - and I have some thoughts.

1.) Damn, they grew the beard.

The pacing (of riffs) is both better, and more consistent. The out-of-theater interactions with the Mads actually don’t feel like they were recorded on greenscreen weeks apart. Silhouette gags used more sparingly. This is MST3K, unquestionably.

2.) Changes!

We lose a host segment this season (to 4, from 5), and the “commercial break” bumpers, making each episode about ten minutes shorter. Also, the extra bots from last season seem to be sticking around.

3.) Frustrations

I understood that they were never going to address how Tom and Crow were back on the SOL after living with Mike, but goddamn - they don’t even seem to be addressing how Jonah survived the season finale last year. They crack a few jokes about it being unresolved, and yes, it’s a show whose theme song says we should just relax - but /they/ are the people who presented a season-long wedding storyline. They’re the ones who chose to make a cliffhanger ending. It feels wrong for them to pretend it was important all of last season and then just ignore it. Maybe they address it in the back three.

I’ve only seen the first two episodes, but I actually thought it was pretty hilarious how they deliberately brushed aside the cliffhanger ending, e.g. having Jonah want to tell his story but the bots don’t care and barely even noticed that he was gone. I tend to treat the host segments with the same throw-away-ability, though :smiley: YMMV

I thought this was pretty funny also, especially considering how they hated the insistence of the SciFi Channel that the host segments had a plot during the Mike years.
Watched Killer Fish last night. They seemed to be going for more of the arcane references that were so great in the original riffing. However riffing on bad but competently made movies, like this one, isn’t nearly as much fun as doing incompetently made movies like The Day Time Ended.

oh I posted this in another thread but streaming service pluto TV has a dedicated 24/7 mst3k channel

and I thought trace was done with the show considering what he supposedly said when they wanted him to go with the show to scifi ………