The Ultimate MST3K Thread, Part 2

Please do, I would like to compare my thoughts to yours.

**Film : ** Wizards of the Lost Kingdom II
Episode : 208 (counting the MST3K Movie)
Secret Number : 007

Film Synopsis : If WotLK was Deathstalker, Junior - then this is its younger, Billy Carter-esque sibling. The two movies have nothing to do with one another, apart from the title. Here, our young wizard journeys through three lands to reclaim the powers of creation from evil wizards, encountering padding in the form of clips from other, better fantasy movies along the way. It is also, allegedly, a comedy.

Series and Episode Thoughts : The setup for the finale continues to take shape, and we get another visit from the previous Mads crew.

Important Stuff : Ardy spots a movie spill - footage of David Carradine fighting the monstrous Guardian. (From The Warrior and the Sorceress, originally, I guess.) We get a little more insight into Pearl’s clone, Synthia.

HS 1 : It’s raining outside the SOL.

Invention Exchange : Jonah presents the emoji version of Cliff Notes - GIF Notes! (Note the correct pronunciation - ‘Jiff’). Kinga presents fluffy creatures who just want to be kicked - Punt Bunnies!

HS 2 : The Dark One’s Renaissance Inn and Grille Franchise video.

**HS 3 : ** You Might Be a Crummy Wizard If…

HS 4 : Pearl and the gang visit as Kinga worries about ratings. Brain Guy gets one of the best lines in the episode - he points out Kinga can’t marry one of the robots, that’s still illegal, scoffing “And they call this the not-too-distant future!”

HS 5 : Healing the pain of bad movies, with good movies.

Memorable Riffs :

Jonah : “Goodnight, moon - forever.”

Crow : “Hell’s bells, it’s Mel Welles.”

Crow : “Bobby Fischer IS Renegade.” (classic style)

Tom : “Kung Fu : The Insults Continue.”

Caedmon : “Shut up and just act interested in things.”
Crow : “Is he talking directly to us?”

Crow : “Time for go to bed.” (callback)

Jonah : “It’s like if the Hunger Games was set in the medieval 80’s.”

Tom : “Gulfax, no!” (callback to the previous movie)

Tom “Samurai Manos?” (callback)

Jonah : “He’s regenerating!”

Tom : “I guess Tyor run Bartertown now.”

Crow : “You’re the wizard, now, dog.”

Kickstarter Backers : Up to S. Chavera and C. Singh.

Stinger : A near-fatal spinach overdose. Alternate joke : Stretch arm strong.

I love how David Carradine gave exactly zero fucks throughout the movie. It was a paycheck gig for him and he didn’t care who knew it.

A paycheck for half a movie’s work, too, since half of his appearance in this movie was cribbed from The Warrior and the Sorceress. Lana Clarkson does a little better, sorta reprising her role as the Barbarian Queen.

I have to say this one was a downer for me. Maybe my expectations were too high based on the first one, but I was pretty bored throughout.

“Hell’s bells, it’s Mel Welles” does make me chuckle, though :slight_smile:

Been a bit busy dealing with an IRL Circus, should be getting to re-watch and review the next MST experiment shortly.

Incidentally, Joel seemed to be coy in the latest Kickstarter backer update, but it sounds like they’re talking renewal with Netflix.

**Film : ** Carnival Magic
Episode : 209 (counting the MST3K Movie)
Secret Number : 005

Film Synopsis : Carnival psychic and his talking Chimp kill time with mild hijinks for about sixty minutes, before some slight peril is injected by his rival trying to sell the chimp to a vivisectionist. Makes The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Decided to Stop Living and Become Mixed-Up Zombies look like Double Indemnity.

Series and Episode Thoughts : There’s no getting around it, it’s a weak episode. Plus the movie’s hard to look at - it looks like the filmmaker adjusted the visual playback speed slightly in some scenes to slow the thing down to hit feature length. Also getting tired of nearly every prop in the show being a woodcut.

Important Stuff : Mark Freakin’ Hamill guest-stars in host segment #4. Segment #5 has a cameo by a purple-jumpsuited Kickstarter backer, taking Jonah’s place on a monitor for a few moments. And Kinga proposes.

HS 1 : Servo gives a Tom Talk - features a Bubble Edit.

Invention Exchange : Kinga pitches her marriage idea. We get the Yeasta Pet from Jonah and the Bots, and Flavor Sweat drinks from Max and Kinga.

HS 2 : Servo plays a carnival pitchman and Crow plays Alex the chimp, as they mock the mundanity of Alex’s dialogue.

**HS 3 : ** Tom and Crow exchange colorful police slang.

HS 4 : Mark Hamill as P.T. Mindslap, proprietor of the Great Space Circus Show. There’s a song, but it’s kind of a weak one.

HS 5 : A parade of woodcuts based on the movie, as Kinga and Max narrate. What is with the freakin’ woodcuts, anyway?

Memorable Riffs :
There’s a good running gag of the crew responding ‘Polov!’ every time a character in the movie calls for Markov.

Crow : “This guy is the lowest-rent Bond villain I’ve ever seen.”

Jonah (as Markov) : “They never found the talking chimp who did it.”

Jonah : “Paramount Pictures presents : Every Which Way But Why?”

Crow : “Rainn Wilson as Sergeant Mark David Chapman.”

Tom : “What does it say about someone when they’re wearing less clothing than their chimp?”

Crow : “I’ve seen mannequins have livelier conversations than this.”

Jonah : “Watch out for snakes.” (Callback)

Crow : “Hey, did you guys realize this thing takes place at a carnival?”

Tom : “Mongo only pawn in game of life.”

Crow : “I wonder if the clairvoyant, talking chimp will figure out a way past the bored nurse?”

Tom : “Law and Order : Carnival Crimes Unit.”
Crow : “Dun-dun.”

There’s an extended series of riffs at the credits where Tom and Crow muse about the Carnival Magic franchise, building an entire fictitious filmography for the producer that’s pretty funny.

Kickstarter Backers : Up to Tassie Drageskogen.

Stinger : The Sheriff is towed away atop his cruiser.

I thought the part where Jonah & the Bots got overly enthusiastic about Alex the Chimp pouring himself a glass of orange juice was one of the best bits in the entire show. Other than that, it was very painful. There was hurting but not as deep as the Christmas episode. shudder

There’s no question this is a dreary movie that the boys are unable to salvage. There’s just something so skeevy about the whole thing. The Carnival Magic “franchise” riff at the end is really great, though.

**Film : ** The Christmas That Almost Wasn’t
Episode : 210 (counting the MST3K Movie)
Secret Number : 014

Film Synopsis : Oh, man. Santa’s Scrooge-ian landlord hates kids and wants to ruin Christmas, and will do so unless Santa can come up with the rent money by Christmas eve. This movie is the equivalent of a filmic fruitcake, utterly inedible and made of bits that nobody wants. Also : Terrible songs.

Series and Episode Thoughts : Our penultimate episode of the 11th season, they’re clearly still building towards the marriage plot for the finale. We get a Joel cameo as Santa, and they’re trying their damnedest to invoke the spirit of MST3K’s previous Christmas episodes, but the movie’s just not up to snuff.

Important Stuff : Nothing of note, apart from Joel’s cameo (beyond his usual role as Ardy)

HS 1 : Jonah and the Bots are Christmas Caroling, nobody knows the lyrics to Good King Wenceslas.

Invention Exchange : Some wedding preparations. Jonah presents the Re-Gifter; Kinga and Max present Humbug FM, an antidote to omnipresent Christmas music.

HS 2 : Jonah and the Bots review (negatively) classic children’s toys. Bubble Edit.

**HS 3 : ** Jonah and the Bots take time to examine some of the creepy toys featured in the actual movie.

HS 4 : Joel pops up as Santa, to chat with Jonah and the Bots.

HS 5 : Mimicking a section of the movie that devolved into stills, Jonah and the Bots exchange Christmas sweaters in a series of stills.

Memorable Riffs : Lots of Dune references in this one, oddly. The running gag about the Lawyer wanting to be treated as Santa’s little baby is funny, but also creepy.

Tom : “This must be what it’s like to live inside an advent calendar.”

Jonah : “Topol IS Santa!”

Crow : “Do you even chair, bro?”

Crow : “Whoa, this tea kicked in fast.”

Tom : “Oh, good, a rhyming dictionary.”

Jonah : “Nightmare fuel!” (Callback)

Tom : “What did they cut out of this movie if this is what they kept?”

Crow : “Jonah, can’t we just get Beyond Thunderdome?” (Callback)

Tom : “Weekend at Bernie’s 3 : Blossom’s Revenge.”

Jonah : “Is he summoning Beetlejuice to help Santa?”

Crow : “I’ve never been so grateful for a cutaway.”

Kickstarter Backers : Up to Wil Shipley, covers a lot of ‘The’s’. (e.g., ‘The Andersons’).

Stinger : Santa learns to laugh, and laughs too hard.

**Film : ** At The Earth’s Core
Episode : 211 (counting the MST3K Movie)
Secret Number : 023

Film Synopsis : A scientist and a rich, stupider scientist invent an Iron Mole, which Burroughs… ahahaha, kill me … it’s way into the center of the Earth, into the strange land of Pellucidar. (Or ‘Pellucida’ as the natives say.) Doug McClure returns to his triumphant role of “White Man Screwing Up Life for the Locals”, though in this case, killing their parrot gods has an upside.

Series and Episode Thoughts : Big splashy finale! Marriage subplot comes together! Max’s revenge! Sort of! It’s a decent movie, better than The Land That Time Forgot, for me. It’s got some good callbacks, too. And Jonah builds Growler, a robot version of Rowlf, from the Muppets. I’ll do some collected series thoughts in a subsequent post.

Important Stuff : Joel McHale appears (as Doug McClure), as do Pearl and the gang, and Paul Chaplin as the head of the Observer hive mind. Also, a number of interesting facts - there are 40,000 Observers. One of whom requires a kosher meal for the wedding - mazel tov! Kinga’s middle name is, according to Pearl, ‘Clayton’. Which is fitting, since Dad’s middle names were ‘Deborah Susan’.

HS 1 : Jonah and the Bots have a bachelor chat. They admit they had hoped he would be more of a combination of Joel and Mike - an explicit acknowledgement of their memories, and a fun meta line. Jonah introduces Growler, who gets to hang around for at least the whole episode.

Invention Exchange : Jonah and the Bots introduce permanent temporary tattoos; Max shows off the Rip Taylor Urn Cannon.

HS 2 : Jonah takes the Bots to a steampunk mode.

**HS 3 : ** Crow’s a Mahar, but he’s not very good at telepathy.

HS 4 : Doug McClure (Joel McHale) shows up to give Max some life advice. Introduces himself as : “Hi, I’m Doug McClure, you might remember me from such films as…”

HS 5 : The big wedding. Pearl and the gang show up, Observer officiates. Pearl briefly reprises ‘When Loving Lovers Love’. Max unleashes Reptilicus Metallicus, seemingly devouring Jonah! We close with Max slinking away : “Push the button … me.” And then a long shot of the exterior of the SOL and someone spacewalking in an EVA suit. Jonah, perhaps? Or Joel?

Memorable Riffs :

Tom : “Doug McClure? I forgot him like that land that Time did.”

Jonah : “Phineas T…”
All : “Mitchell!”

Crow : “Alright, we’re impressed, let’s go!”

Jonah : “It’s a charming, Victorian-era fracking.”

Jonah : “H.R. Crush’n’stuff.”

Tom : “Welcome to the world of the Monchichi.” (Deep cut!)

Crow : “What is this, the Sid and Marty Krofft Death March?”

Crow : “Hikeeba!” (classic riff / callback)

Tom : "Jim Henson’s Muppet Atrocity. "

Crow : “I guess even the Earth’s core has a DMV.”

Jonah : “Rocks? In a cave?? I gotta check that out.”

Tom : “Go north. Get lamp.”

Jonah : “You’re not gonna believe this, but I’m the protagonist.”

Crow : “It’s the Church of Castle Greyskull and Latter-Day Saints!”

Jonah (spotting a monster) : “Gypsy?”

Tom : “I volunteer as tribute!”

Jonah (as Caroline Munro) : “You’re no Hasselhoff.” (Star Crash callback.)

Kickstarter Backers : Everybody else, including some they missed on the first pass, and those with unusually long names that would have broken the formatting.

Stinger : Flaming dino plummets from the hillside.

is this getting a second season ?

Full series thoughts : They really love those silhouette gags. And I noticed a lot of references to Dune. But probably the biggest recurring thing that isn’t a reference to the previous show has gotta be the Oculus Rift. Goddamn, I think it shows up in half the episodes.

Overall, they did a good job reviving the show, and I think if they get a second season, we’ll see some of the rough edges get polished up and everything will be even better. Fingers crossed!

Now - Episodes, from best, to worst (purely personal ratings).

The great :
The Loves of Hercules
Starcrash
Wizards of the Lost Kingdom
Yongary

The good:
At The Earth’s Core
Cry Wilderness
The Beast of Hollow Mountain
Reptilicus
The Time Travelers
The Land That Time Forgot
Wizards of the Lost Kingdom II

The mediocre :
The Christmas That Almost Wasn’t
Avalanche
Carnival Magic

The mediocre episodes are all just bad movies that they could not elevate with their riffing. WotLK2 probably fares a little better with me than with some, because I like shitty fantasy movies, so it was starting out ahead - edging into the bottom of the ‘good’. I think Avalanche was just a bad pick, and they should have found another movie. Carnival Magic could have been this season’s Manos … and in many ways, it is, I suppose. But it’s just dull and hard to watch. The four greats, though, would stand shoulder to shoulder with any of the original series episodes.

They are in talks, but there has been nothing official announced yet.

Oh, come on, *Avalanche *was fantastic. The drunk mom! The ambulance plummeting off the cliff! It’s like a cornball episode of Emergency!

Or just an episode of Emergency!

What can I say, I have a soft spot for 1970s crap movies (see: San Fransisco International, Giant Spider Invasion, Touch of Satan, and many more.)

Last week I was with a couple of people who are a little too young to know what MST3K is, and we watched The Room. They were fascinated by the unintentional hilarity of the thing, but for me… I mean, I’ve already plumbed the depths of movie-badness. I know how bad it gets. Yes, The Room was unbelievably bad, but I already knew stuff like this existed. Joel and the bots showed it to me 25 years ago or so.

I said to my young friends “If you guys like this, then you have to see Manos.”

Just realizing that I’ve had the same sig on this board since December, 2000:

I enjoyed *At The Earth’s Core *quite a bit - a very solid end to the season. I could have done without the whole wedding thing, but then I’ve never been a big fan of the Mad host segments since Frank left (and even then sometimes they are pretty lame).

“H.R. Crush’n’stuff” is solid gold :smiley:

I’m largely in agreement with your rankings, though I would definitely put WOTLK2 in the mediocre category and elevate Avalanche up a level. Overall I have to say I was surprised and delighted by how good the season was. I think MST3K is a kind of rare magic that should have been well-nigh impossible to recreate, but I think the new team exceeded any reasonable expectations.

San Francisco International is a good comparison for Avalanche, but SFI had more engaging riffing, IMO.

I’m disappointed and kind of surprised Netflix hasn’t announced a second season yet. I’d like it to come out some time in 2018.