The way I talk while feeding the cats

Don’t sweat it. Babies learn to speak the language when they learn, and they follow a specific timetable for doing it. Anglo culture has its motherese; other cultures speak to their children in ordinary language; still others ignore the child altogether, letting it learn by listening to the folks and talking with its siblings. Barring birth defects, children in all these cultures learn to speak their first language equally competently.

Language is not “taught” as such; your child’s brain will be a little language-learning machine, programmed from birth to separate well-formed from ill-formed input. Short of strapping the child in a basement, there’s not a whole lot you can do to change your child’s schedule for learning language.

As for correct English, either everybody or nobody speaks it, depending on your definition.

If I have one piece of advice for the linguistic apprentissage of any future delphlet, I would suggest you expose it to a second or even third language constantly, starting from infancy. It is not harmful to the development of English, and leaves you with a child who has easily become fluent in two languages, with an expanded world view, and better able to learn other languages in the future. (I know some kids who are now fluent in Croatian, Esperanto, and French, and some others who are the same in French, English, and Polish. It’s really cool.)

Anyway, getting back to cats. I speak to our cats in a variety of languages, including

English (Who’s a cute fur!),
French (Qui est mon chaton préféré!),
Spanish (¿Quién es mi gatito hermosito? ¿¡Eres tú!?),
Esperanto (Hej! Kiu estas mia bona katido? Chu VI??? Jes!),
Italian (Sei il mio bello gatto?), and
Japanese (Kawaii nekko desu ne?!)

all of which they, um, seem to understand equally well.

Typical kitty conversation with my cat Zazou:

“Aaaaaaaaa! It’s a FUR!! Aw, kmear you cute fur! Who’s a cute fur! Mmmmmm! You’re daddy’s cute fur, yes you are, yes you ARE! Mmmm, cuddle the fur! You’re a WARM fur, yes you ARE! Kitty tummy rub! Want a skritchie skritchie behind the ears? Ooooooo! Skritchie skritchie skritchie skritchie! Kawaii nekko desu ne? BEEPIE on the kitty nose! You’re my puss fur! You’re my puss fur! Yes you is! Yes you is! Awwwww! Who’s my kitty kitty Zazzmatazz? Who’s a fuzzy face? (singing) Fuzzy faaace, Fuzzy faaace, running around tearing up the plaaaace… (/singing) You’re my special fur and I wuv you very much, yes I do, yes I do!..”

I predict this will become the most popular thread I’ve ever created (while acknowledging how faint that praise is).

My tabby Jack, unlike his brother and sister, has black claws and lips. For this reason, I often call him “Goth kitty” in addition to his usual nickname, “Jackie” (after Chan, not Collins).

My cats are quite loquacious. When I get home from work the critters bring me up to date on the day’s events.

Fiver: Hi, guys!
Jack: Meow!
Buster: Meow!
Piper: Meow, meow!
Fiver: Jack, have you had a good day?
Fiver: Really? Did your sibs join in?
Fiver: No kidding! (looking at Buster) And you just watched while he did that?
Buster: Meow!
Fiver: (to Piper) And what did you have to say about your brothers’ behavior?
Piper: Mee-oooww!

Yes, they really do respond when I make eye contact and say their names.

Sendak: Yeooooooooowwwww.
Me: No, you cannot go outside! Can’t you see that it’s cold and snowy out there?
Willie: (staring at door)
Me: No, you cannot go outside either! Are you two nuts? Why do you want to be out there when all the food and heat is in here?
Sendak: Yeeoooooooowww.
Me: Yes, I know. You think you have to have lovin’ 24 hours a day. I feel the same way, but it’s just not possible. You can only have 20 minutes of lovin’ now.
Sendak: Yeeeoooooow.
Me: Oh yes, you’re SO neglected. Your life is SO hard. You poor thing!
Sendak and Willie: Obviously agree with me.

Me: ((walking through the living room))
Darien (the cat) : H-hhum. Mum. Mum!
Me: Yeah, what do you want?
Darien: I seem to be out of food.
Me: You are not out of food. You just have to nudge the feeder so more falls down.
Darien: Yes well…I know that things have been tight lately, I had no idea that we have so little that you can’t afford to pay attention
me: Fine. ((walks over, nudges food silo. Food falls down))
Darien: Indeed. ((prissily munches kibble))
Chan (the ferret): Hey! Hey! Hey! Hey!
Me: Oh, Chansome, you’re so adorable!!
Chan: My food! My Food! Me! Hey! Me!
Me: Just a minute, Channa, I’ll get you some food…
Chan: 'Nana! 'Nana! Treats! Popcorn! Hey! Me!
Me: Ok, Chanable, I’ll get you some popcorn and some banana. How could I resist such a cute little baby? Oh, so sweet!
Chan: I love you so much! Hey! Is that treats?! Really?! I love you! You! I Love you!
Me: Oh, such a good long-cat! Such a sweet baby!
Darien: Suck-up. ((stalks away))

Me: ((walking through the living room))
Darien (the cat) : H-hhum. Mum. Mum!
Me: Yeah, what do you want?
Darien: I seem to be out of food.
Me: You are not out of food. You just have to nudge the feeder so more falls down.
Darien: Yes well…I know that things have been tight lately, I had no idea that we have so little that you can’t afford to pay attention
me: Fine. ((walks over, nudges food silo. Food falls down))
Darien: Indeed. ((prissily munches kibble))
Chan (the ferret): Hey! Hey! Hey! Hey!
Me: Oh, Chansome, you’re so adorable!!
Chan: My food! My Food! Me! Hey! Me!
Me: Just a minute, Channa, I’ll get you some food…
Chan: 'Nana! 'Nana! Treats! Popcorn! Hey! Me!
Me: Ok, Chanable, I’ll get you some popcorn and some banana. How could I resist such a cute little baby? Oh, so sweet!
Chan: I love you so much! Hey! Is that treats?! Really?! I love you! You! I Love you!
Me: Oh, such a good long-cat! Such a sweet baby!
Darien: Suck-up. ((stalks away))

Aw, shoot…

My latest name-calling scheme for my little girl is anything rhyming with “oodle”. “How’s my little Feather-poodle, oodle-doodle, kitty-streudel, fuzzy noodle?” (I realized I had totally lost it when I heard “fuzzy noodle” come out of my mouth). I also call my boyfriend similar names; his response is much the same as the cat’s.

Me (getting dressed): Good morning, Big Kitty!
Tom (the Big Kitty): Mrrow.
Wally (the Little Kitty): Mrrow?
Me: Hello, Lit-tle Wal-ly, Cutest of All Kitties!
Tom & Wally, in concert: Mrrow! Mrrow!
Me: Yes, I’m going to feed you. Do I ever not feed you?
Tom & Wally, looking skeptical, as though this could be the time I fail: {silence}

Heading into the kitchen - letting the dogs outside while I make the cat food.

Tom: MRROW! MRROW!
Wally: MEW! MEW! (he changes his tune depending on how desperate he wants to sound)
Me: I’m coming, I’m coming!
Tom: MRROW!
Me: Big Kitty, you are not starving to death.
Tom (offended): Mrrow. {turns his back on me}
Wally (running back and forth, in my way so that I trip over him): MEW! MEW! MEW!
Me (finishing their food): All right! All right! Here you go!
Tom: MRROW!
Wally: MEW!

After I take care of the dogs and the litter and am ready to leave the house.

Me: Okay. Mommy’s leaving now. You be good boys. Mommy loves her precious boys. Tom, you’re in charge.
Tom: Mrrow.

missbunny, my threats to Marlin are working about as well as I suspect your threats to your kitties are. He realized long ago that there is no turnip farm (don’t tell him I said that, just in case.

Gravity, Chan sounds like a sweetie! Reminds me of my little one:

Raisin: Digging furiously in special, mounted-to-cage food dish, supposedly designed to keep her from disposing of all the food through the cage grates-- it fails. Nothing withstands Raisin.

Me: “Why are you doing that?”

Raisin: “Huh? What? Is it time to come out? Do you have Yogies for me? Give me Yogies first, me first, me first!”

Me: “Ok! Yogies it is! You’re so cute! But Twitch gets hers first because she was here first!”

Raisin: “No! No! Me first! Me first!”

Twitch: Waits patiently for Yogies in her hammock-- she’s figured out that’s where I put hers. Raisin is just now catching on, after about a month. Raisin does not notice that Twitch has in fact gotten her Yogies first.

Me: “Here you go, sweetie!”

Raisin: “Yay! I got 'em first! Nyah Nyah! Hahahaha!”

(For those who don’t know, I’d just like to point out that Yogies are small animal treats, not me being cutsie about yogurt!)

I know just what you mean. I was teaching myself to play piano using a computer program and I liked to practice after work every day. However, my gray tabby would position himself at my feet as soon as I started and proceed to howl his furry head off. He wouldn’t quit until I did. I didn’t think I was that bad. :frowning:

I talk to my three kits every day too. Apart from their names they get called sweetie, sweetheart, brighteyes, sweetpea, dearie or bonehead. (as the situation warrants :))

My converstion yesterday with Brat, my kakariki (parakeet):

Me: How’s my sweet baboo?
Brat: meep.
Me: How’s my little pepperpot?
Brat: You’re bad. (He can talk.)
Me: Want a blackberry?
Brat flies out of his cage to his perch above the computer.
Me: Here’s the blackberry, my little bratster.
Brat: meep. starts eating with gusto
Me: Is that good? Hmmm, is that a tasty berry for my sweet baboo?
Brat starts shaking his head, growling.
Me: Hey, stop it, you’re getting berry all over the place!
Brat: You’re a bad bad birdie.
I dash off to get the Mavica camera because he’s got berry on his beak and he’s all worked up.
Me: ARGH, MY WALLS!
Brat: Whatcha doin’?

Berried Brat

He no longer gets blackberries.