They made a movie about Indigo children.

MUTANTS! DEVIANTS! BURN THE ABOMINATIONS!

We’ve got a book on Indigo Kids at work. It’s total bad-parenting self-justification. “It isn’t that my kids are uncontrollable bossy brats and that I am too lenient! They’re smarter than me and I shouldn’t have to teach them! They’ll teach me! All I have to do is never suggest to them that maybe the way to world peace is not to super-glue the dog to the ceiling!”

so, these are kids that glow an eerie bluish-green at night?..

oh, sorry, i was thinking of Indiglo children…

…nevermind

I’m sorry, I have a hard time accepting that people honestly believe this.

I shouldn’t though. Why should such utter tripe surprise me when I live in a world where people believe there is [insert a topic which would surely land this thread in the Pit.]

I thought these were the kids who were out to avenge thier father’s death by killing a man who had six fingers on his right hand.

“Alien-ated Youth” by Dylan Otto Krider, and atricle that appeared in the Houston Press a few years ago, is a very informative and entertaining read on the Indigo Children phenomenon. Link.You have to read the whole article to the end to really get what the author is getting at, though.

Exactly. My sons are (in my biased oppinion) bright kids. If I were to let them run the house they’d be spending their days in front of the TV playing Star Wars Battlefront and eating pizza five meals a day.

Call me nuts but if I let that happen they will live in the basement forever and mooching my life savings away. They’d probably grow 400 pounds and be covered in bedsores and have the social skills of a 5 year old.

Not exactly the ruling elite I would cow tow to.

I hadn’t heard of Indigo children till a recent thread here, but it sounds a lot like another movement, called “Spirited Children.”
I had a so-called ‘Spirited Child’ in my class last year and his mother gave us a bunch of photocopied pages from a book about them. It read pretty much the same - bad parenting self-justification.
“He’s not out-of control, he’s ‘high-spirited,’ and must not be disciplined or you’ll squash his natural creativity!”
“You are not allowed to tell him, ‘No’ at any time. It hurts his self-esteem.”
“If he wants to climb on the tables, you must let him. It allows him to view the room from a new perspective.”
“It’s okay if he screams at other children. He’s learning to use his voice in new ways.”
“If he wants all the blocks, it’s okay if he takes them from the other children. He’s too young to have to learn to share.” (He was nearly five)

Sounded like a bunch of bullshit to me. :rolleyes:

From the article linked above:

Yep, sounds like every preschooler I know. Some people want to think their kids are special, no matter how clear it is that they are just ordinary children who are being badly raised.

I mean, my 4-yo talks all the time, asks questions about everything (and can’t really get the answers), and draws quite well, but that’s because she’s your basic kid with good verbal and fine motor skills. She’s not so hot when it comes to athletics. Why do people insist that their kid has to be special? Why can’t we just enjoy our kids for the quite nice ordinary people they are? I think most kids are quite bright, why do we have to insist that our kids are better than the others? Argh.

These kids need some of my patented Smack Therapy ™. The parents could use some, too.

Hmmm… didn’t they make a movie in the fifties about an Indigo Child? Remember The Bad Seed?

If the parents don’t correct them when they’re young, then when they get a little older they’ll just start playing acoustic guitars and singing folk songs all the time.

I think this one also fits the bill.

I want to completely dismiss this as just more New Age wooze. However, all this talk of a “more evolved” race of human beings who are destined to take over and “unite” the world reminds me of a certain set of people who proclaimed the same thing and were led by a German-speaking guy with a funny mustache.

Big smile, everybody! :smiley:

“Kowtow.”

Indigo children are “psychic and gifted” according to the plot summary of the linked movie.

“Hey kid, wanna predict what I’m going to do with this wooden paddle if you don’t SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP?”

“My name is Indigo Montoya. You impose rules on me. Prepare for a temper tantrum.”

So how’d you deal with him?

Does Dr. Phil know about this? :wink:

Wow! My almost-10yo daughter is a semi-indigo. When her mother is around she shows all the traits mentioned on one of those sites. When it’s just me she’s a calm, level-headed honors student.

I must be having a bad influence on her. Do you suppose her alien god-parents will ‘disappear’ me?

I read it and I still don’t get it-did this guy actually buy into this Indigo bullshit, or was he making fun of them?

The impression I got from the article is that an objective view of the Indigos, and those who enable them, still doesn’t make them look good. I did like the bit about the owner of the bookstore, Janet’s Planet, who said she occasionally asked this one guy to leave the Planet. “Yes, the bookstore.” :slight_smile:

And if those grade school kids are so brilliant, how come one of them drew a watermelon on the vine, three feet off the ground?