(They) Say what? (Bernstein's Symphonic Dances from "West Side Story"

In Bernstein’s Symphonic Dances from “West Side Story” there are two places during the frenetic “Latin” movement where the orchestra members shout out (either) two words or one two-syllable word. Despite careful listening I have never been able to understand them/it. Will someone please help me to be able to sing along? :smiley:

And while we are at it, are there other examples of “incidental” directed vocalizations in otherwise purely orchestral compositions? (I am assuming that the above example IS actually directed in the score and not some spontaneous-has-become-obligatory reaction.)

Can you be a little more specific in which scene? Which song is being sung before and after?

MAM-BO!

The Symphonic Dances is a separate composition that does not appear in the movie or stage productions proper (to my knowledge) or perhaps MAY be an overture to the stage production.

Sing it with me Nametag:

MAM-BO!

Not to doubt you Name (may I call you Name?) but is that a guess or can you cite a reference? Does that mean something in Spanish (other than the obvious dance reference) or perhaps just nonsense syllables? Now that you mention it, it DOES sound right and logical (in the context).

Anybody else with a comment on the 2nd part of the OP?

I can’t find anything to link to you, but I have read an article in which the author describes his trip to Cuba with Leonard Bernstein, who directed local musicians in the WSS material. The author says that the shout had to be the “loudest ‘MAMBO’ ever heard.”

Part of the sound written into the score of The Seventh Trumpet by Donald Erb (inspired by the Book of Revelation) directs the wind players to sigh through their axes. I played trumpet in my school band when I heard the Cleveland Orchestra perform The Seventh Trumpet and already knew how vocalizing into the instrument makes your voice sound all weird.

Well I don’t know if this is an example of an “incidental directed vocalization” or an outright lyric, but in the middle of the big band tune “Pennsylvania 6-5000” the musicians stop playing and shout out the title to the beat of the song.

Incidental directed vocalisations I can think of include ‘Goldfinger!’ and ‘Tequila!’ :stuck_out_tongue:

Perhaps you’re thinking of “Soulfinger?”

Since this is about music, I’ll move this thread to Cafe Society.

bibliophage
moderator GQ

RedDawgEsq–

"Mambo"is the name of the dance, nothing more.

The Symphonic Dances are dance numbers from the musical WEST SIDE STORY, re-edited into a concert piece. The Mambo is one of the numbers from the dance at the gym in the stage play. Of course, in the stage play, it is the actors, not the musicians in the orchestra, who shout “Mambo!” as they recognize the intro to one of their favorite dances.

My reference? Script of the play.

In the orchestral piece Eventyr, written 1n 1917 by Frederick Delius, the orchestra is directed to give a great “Goblin shout” at two points in the performance.

P.D.Q. Bach has a large, loud gasp for breath in one of his compositions (the Schleptette, IIRC).

I’ve looked at the score for the Symphonic Dances, and in those places, it says: “spoken: Mam-bo!” If you want a more specific cite, I can go buy the score and scan in that page, but it’s expensive to buy and pay the legal fees for copyright violations… :slight_smile:

Also in the climax of the 1712 Overture, as I recall.

[QUOTE]
*Originally posted by av8rmike *
**I’ve looked at the score for the Symphonic Dances, and in those places, it says: “spoken: Mam-bo!” If you want a more specific cite, I can go buy the score and scan in that page, but it’s expensive to buy and pay the legal fees for copyright violations… :slight_smile:

Close enough for me, TYVM!

Good one! That’s the kind of thing I was thinking about.