Things you've lost

A preamble: I don’t want this thread to have anything to do with people. We’ve all lost people in our lives, and it’s a terrible thing, but I’m more looking in the direction of the material here. So no eulogies, please.

That having been said, lately I’ve been rather bitter about an incident that happened about a year and a half ago. We used to throw those typical rockin’ college parties at our old house. During one, my friend Chrissie invited some of her friends from work. One guy, by the name of Mike, brought CDs. I had one of mine in the player at the time, and ended up getting drunk and wandering off to another room. While I was gone, he took out my CD and replaced it with one of his crappy rap CDs. Nas, or something equally as bad. When I finally came back, I found my CD, bottom down on the hardwood floor, with a FOOTPRINT on top of it. It was scratched to hell, and I could never play it again.

That isn’t so bad, on the surface of things. The problem is, it’s a CD by a band called The Drag. I doubt anyone has heard of them except maybe Satan or some of our more Southern Dopers. They lived next door to my grandmother in Myrtle Beach. Their CD release party was at the Hard Rock Cafe in MB, and it was the first 18+ show I ever went to (four days after my 18th birthday). I have a lot of memories connected to that band and that CD, and I’d have a hard time finding another copy of it. And the way it was destroyed is just so damned asinine. I know it’s just stuff, but I was really pissed off.

So, what silly things have you lost that were important to you and nobody else?

I lost my HS class ring while turning off a radiator in college. It slipped off my finger and dropped about 3 feet into the piping. I couldn’t reach it through several pipes and other obstructions, and the custodian wouldn’t open it up (guess it was a royal pain).

I think they’ve demolish that building now, so I’ll never get it back. :frowning:

My husband and I were in Florida in 91.I had taken my prized book<Revelotion For the Hell Of It by Abbie Hoffman. My mom had stolen it from the library for me. It got left in a car that was impounded or something. So sad. The last 2 years of our library’s booksales,I’ve found it! Now I have 2! :smiley:

I seem to have misplaced my St. Jude medallion. This is profoundly upsetting to me…that little guy has really helped me out.

Anyone out there remember who you pray to to find lost objects? Is it St. Anthony?

Well, on a chain around my neck I wear a swiss army “dog tag”. It has my name, blood group, etc… so I always wear it because I think it could be handy someday.

I used to live in another state (Idaho). The last summer I lived there I went swimming with my girlfriend in a lake around Boise. While we were sitting on a wooden platform the medal fell off my neck and to the bottom of the lake. I couldn’t find it (the lake was too muddy and deep.)

Right after that I moved to California. About a year later, I got a letter from my brother’s ex-girlfriend in Idaho. Inside the envelope was that medal! She had been walking near that lake, where the water had gone down, and found the medal hanging from a bush?!? What are the odds of that? Not only that someone would find the medal, but that it would be someone that knew me and knew where to find me in California.

La franchise ne consiste pas à dire tout ce que l’on pense, mais à penser tout ce que l’on dit.
H. de Livry

Stella, yes, to find your medal ask St. Anthony of Padua

Where the hell are my marbles?!

I’ve lost my favorite book, “Since the World Began,” by Jeff Kurtti (Hyperion, 1996). I remember reading it in my living room a few weeks ago, and now it’s gone - disappeared off the face of the earth. I’ve searched high and low - nothing.

Since I’m not Catholic, I can’t pray to St. Anthony of Padua. So, would one of you Catholics please pray to him that I find my book? Thx.

Saint Anthony of Padua? Isn’t he the one who preached to the fishies?

– Uke, humming the Scherzo from Mahler’s Second

Happy to, though he’d probably be glad to help non-Catholic, too :slight_smile: St. Anthony has helped me out many times – as has St. Jude, the patron for desperate cases and lost causes.

(For those of us in L.A. right now, the patron against earthquakes is St. Giles.)

Catrandom

::sigh:: I lose so many things, I’m used to it. I’ve gotten used to the fact that whenever I get something cool, I lose it or it breaks. I’m a nutty professor. Absent minded, they say.

–Tim

We are the children of the Eighties. We are not the first “lost generation” nor today’s lost generation; in fact, we think we know just where we stand - or are discovering it as we speak.

I lost my wallet and drivers license 12 times before I turned 18. True story. I even had it stolen by a cop. (I had it reinstated for free because the judge new it was all crap.) Oh, I should say that I never did anything to break the law to cause me to lose my license in the legal sense. I lost my license every time because I continually misplaced it.

HUGS!
Sqrl

Gasoline: As an accompaniement to cereal it made a refreshing change. Glen Baxter

Homer, judging from the sum total of your posts, I would say you have also lost you senses of humor and perspective.

Dopeler effect:
The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.

While moving to college, I decided to bring a small medallion type of thing a friend had given me. He’s my best friend, and I wanted to bring the thing that would really remind me of him.

Apparently, in the mix of moving, it got lost. I can’t find it anywhere. This is something I really wish I could find, but after three months, I’ve pretty much given up…

Virginity

>^,^<
KITTEN
Please tell your pants it’s not polite to point.

I lost my cookies once… it was right after some very BAD chinese food. Do you think maybe it was a conspiracy?

“Only when he no longer knows what he is doing, does the painter do good
things.” --Edgar Degas

I dunno Purp. What’d the fortune say? Or did you toss that too?

Dopeler effect:
The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.

I lost my wedding ring. It fell off while I was moving, apparently. I never saw it again. sniff

It was a sterling silver band with celtic knotwork around it…

O p a l C a t
www.opalcat.com

Shortly after we started seeing each other, my first girlfriend made a bracelet for me, out of braided wire and some stuff she had found. It was one of those things, completely valueless in material terms, but which meant a lot to me. When she saw how much I liked it, she made me another one.

The first one I lost at a concert. The crowd was a little rougher than we anticipated, and we almost got trampled in the mosh pit. After barely escaping with our lives, I noticed that the first one was gone. After the show, we searched everywhere for it, until the security guards made us leave. I came back to the venue the next day, to see if it had turned up in the lost and found, but it hadn’t. It probably got stomped into oblivion.

The second one I lost the day after we broke up. I basically spent that day window shopping, trying to keep my mind off her, and at some point, I noticed that it had disappeared. I never found that one either. The symbolism of that little coincidence was not what I needed right then, shall we say.

Oh, well. You know what they say, “Of all the things I’ve lost, I miss my mind the most…”

“That’s entertainment!” —Vlad the Impaler

I must’ve messed that up. My prized book,was Revolution for the Hell of It be Abbie Hoffman that my mum had stolen from the library. Good part,the last 2 years,I found the book(2 of em!) at the library book sale. :smiley: