I’d resisted collecting them for years because I’d already spent 11 years collecting the first state quarters set and doing it all over again immediately seemed a bit obsessive. But one of my sons, who remembered my interest in the first set, gave me a few of the new ones as a gift at the beginning of the summer, and I decided what the heck. So at this point, not counting the most recent releases (which I’m not sure how long it will take before I can realistically expect to see them in circulation…though I’m sure that by this point after the Wisconsin-Apostle Islands release, I’d seen my share of those, so I’m surprised so have encountered no Minnesota-Voyageurs quarters yet), I’m down to missing only 11. Mundane, pointless thoughts:
- Boy, those 2010 and 2011 quarters had low circulation (confirmed by the mint’s web site). Of those years’ sets, I have only one each. I’m guessing there were a glut of quarters out there due to the popularity of the first set.
- Unlike the first set, I will probably never remember the order of their release. Obviously, they have years on them, and I know that the order is dictated by the date the sites were declared National Parks (or whatever), but it’s not as memorize-able as order of states joining the union.
- I love the originality of the South Dakota-Mount Rushmore design. I’m also fond of the Maryland-Fort McHenry one, it really brings the Star-Spangled Banner alive.
- I hate the Texas-San Antonio Missions design. I love that the designs (until that one) were depicting actual sites or events (with a little stylization on some of them), I do not like that one’s design which is completely artistic/symbolic. We had plenty of that in the first set.
- I’m a bit unhappy that for the Idaho-Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness quarter has the name of the site bleeding into the image portion of the coin. Hopefully the mint changes thing before the actual production work to either abbreviate the name, extend it in the border, or shrink the font to fit it in there.
Anyone else collecting these? Likes, dislikes, random thoughts?