Thread column not sized right on phone

I’m using a Samsung S21, and for a while I’m having trouble that the display width for threads does not match my screen size. The browser header is correct, but the StraightDope banner and menu is narrower than the browser column. It means text at default display is too small to read comfortably, and the thread has blank space to the right.

But when I open a reply, the reply box is wider than the column display text. So if I enlarge the column to use the full width of the screen, the reply box runs off the side of the page. If I size the display to fit the reply box, the text is smaller than I want to comfortably read.

In short there is a mismatch between the thread width and the reply window width.

Anybody else seeing this? Is there a fix?

On my iPhone everything looks good, same as always.

All is still fine on my S22.

Turn off panoramic view.

(I have no real knowledge, I often reset to reconfigure stuff because I accidentally pushed something on, restarting or resetting sets everything back to where my default is)

So I restarted my phone and it’s working properly now. But I know I’ve restarted my phone before. Oh well, I’ll see how long this works.

Yay!
I don’t remember who, but someone once told me always try restarting first.

Ok, FYI, it is now doing the problem again. I this thread right now.

I’m thinking it has to have something to do with zooming the screen in and out to aid reading. It could also have something to do with trying to select text in a thread to quote. On fact, I’m leaning more that way.

I need a better solution than restarting my phone every time this occurs.

[Edited - solution, not skunk. I don’t need a skunk, much less a better one.]

Possibly it is a miscuing between trying to use the Discourse quote feature and the screen zoom occurring.

When trying to highlight text to quote, the quote menu popup sometimes often overlaps the region I am trying to select, making it hard to select the full text I want and then hit the quote button. That leads to significant fiddling with my screen to get the proper text highlighted and quoted.

I don’t know what to do, if there are any setting changes I can make on my end that will alleviate this problem. But it’s annoying as hell.

This is the only Discourse board I’m on.

Just a test, I popped over to the main menu and the screen is mostly sized right. Popped bask to this thread, and it is significantly affected. To give you an idea, the right end of the SD toolbar at the top of the thread is aligned with the down arrow in the Internet browswer location bar above it. That works out to almost a quarter of the screen in the right edge is empty space so that the edit window is fully visible at the bottom.

Ok, for troubleshooting, I just logged in to SD on chrome, and this thread is displaying the same issue. In other words, it is not a browser specific issue.

It is either a problem with Discourse or the SD boards or combination of those two. Or possibly some phone setting in Samsung interacting with the boards weirdly.

I have a Galaxy S10. So similar, but not the same. I always use the Chrome browser, no other. I do not use the Discourse app.

Under Android Settings >> Display you might check the settings under “font size and style” and under “Screen zoom” to ensure they are set at the middle default values.

I have definitely seen issues on various sites and apps where those being set bigger (AKA “older fart” mode) cause lots of stuff to overlap badly.

This is a screen issue. I believe. Your font size is jumbled up and it’s not staying where you put it.
Do you have that hand motion thingy on? Where you change things with 3 fingers or a wave motion.
Check that.

Thanks, this was my issue and it was driving me crazy.

I’ve tried various setting changes on screen zoom and text size, with no change to the issue.

Specifically, the edit window is wider than the thread column. No amount of setting changes have altered that variance.

Looking in both Internet and Chrome. This is the only site I have the issue.

Have you tried different SD skins? Or whatever they call that.

Go to the navigation menu under your preferences.

I’m not seeing this, but the text box for posts now always seems to be too wide. That used to only be the case in MPSIMS due to the long name of the forum.

The issue seems to be the post counter on the bottom right. It is placed too far to the right, making the page itself too wide. But it also might be the fact that there are MPSIMs articles in the footer. Again, that forum name is too long when expanded out.