Thread for political commentary regarding the assault on Nancy Pelosi's husband [28 Oct 2022]

Politics keeps creeping into the breaking news thread.

Please post it here, instead.

Looks like most of the GOP who felt the need to comment on this situation were capable of being decent. But not the Governor of Virginia. He felt it was appropriate to make a joke about how this was a good way to get Nancy out of DC and back to California.

What a scumbag.

There is also Greene and Paul who although they condemned the attack put in a couple of digs to make it all about them.

Greene

Violence and crime are rampant in Joe Biden’s America. It shouldn’t happen to Paul Pelosi. It shouldn’t happen to innocent Americans. It shouldn’t happen to me. (Swatted six times, violence & death threats every day)

Paul>

No one deserves to be assaulted. Unlike Nancy Pelosi’s daughter who celebrated my assault, I condemn this attack and wish Mr. Pelosi a speedy recovery.

I kinda want the perp to hear about this and get mad. “I did this for you! I did what you wanted me to do! Please, make them release me, right now!”

Mitch McConnell said something suitable, though of course he refrained from criticizing the ‘pose with weapons and/or post memes of Nancy with a target on her face’ GOP office-holders that abound in Congress.

Has Kevin McCarthy said anything? I don’t see reporting on that. McCarthy has more to fear from his own pro-violence House caucus than McConnell does from his Senators. McCarthy may well feel that he can’t afford to say anything that would offend the ‘violence is a legitimate political expression’ crowd.

From what I can see the right in general is trying to turn this into a “violence is a Democratic epidemic and Biden is to blame” story.

We know that inveterate GOP voters will accept that hogwash without protest. The real question is about the independents.

Virginian here. Our governor does not have the guts to embrace tRump openly, or the decency to repudiate him. He tries to straddle the fence. He deserves everyone’s contempt. He is like today’s Pence without that single moment of courage and integrity.

Yep. I’ve been poking around on a right-wing message board, and according to the majority of posters there, the attack on Mr. Pelosi is the Democrats’ fault. It’s the result of defunding the police and disarming citizens and being soft on crime. Besides, the attacker made hemp bracelets, spent some time in today’s equivalent of a commune, and lived in “Berserkly, Commiefornia.” (Their words, not mine.) Therefore, he must be a leftist Democrat.

Some others claim it was a false flag attack, or a Jussie Smolett-style setup, in order to gain sympathy (and thus votes) for Democrats in the upcoming elections.

At any rate, according to nearly all, he’s an illegal alien, and this is what happens when we don’t strengthen our borders. (In fact, the attacker came to the US from British Columbia, Canada, about twenty years ago, but while he’s not American-born, no reliable source has reported whether he was illegal, or the holder of a green card, or a naturalized American citizen.)

And then there are those who claim that what happened was the result of a gay lovers’ quarrel. :roll_eyes:

Interestingly, they’re stopping short of saying that this guy didn’t do it–most will admit that he did, and most of them wish Mr. Pelosi well with his recovery. But they all avoid saying anything that paints this guy as a right-winger.

I should add a cite to the attacker originally coming from Canada:

From here:

I’ve also seen some stuff where the alt-Right is trying to portray the attacker as a Leftist/Democrat/whatever boogeyman they’re using this week because the guy used to make “hemp jewelry” (whatever that is) and once registered as a member of the Green Party. Well, hell, Trump used to vote Democrat.

Yes, well, when the guy attempted to bash in the skull of an old guy with a hammer in front of a bunch of police officers it’s a little hard to claim he didn’t do it.

I dropped this in another thread, but here’s a link to the guy’s rather extensive blog.
https://www.frenlyfrens.com/blog
He’s a conspiracy theorist railing against election fraud, Covid vaccines, Commies and pedophile groomers. He’s more full on CT than MAGA, but he hits every alt-right talking points. It’s just dishonest to claim he’s a “leftist”.

Fox News, unsurprisingly, is playing up DePape’s connection to a “radical nudist” while ignoring his apparent online postings that heavily feature far right/QAnon talking points (which are getting considerable attention on ABC News).

Politico is reporting that DePape is a nudist activist. Oddly enough, embrace of nudism is at least in part a Republican/conservative thing.

Eh, with as much projection as they give in accusing pedophilia in their opponents, I suspect that position is so they have an excuse to see naked kids.

Donald Trump Jr. Mocks Paul Pelosi With ‘Despicable’ Halloween Post (msn.com)

The Jr. Trump is certainly a major ass.

Jayzuz, even Ol’ 45 was able to stay above his son and keep it to just regular politics…

Meanwhile — many people have expressed some surprise about how the Pelosis, who could afford it, did not provide high security for themselves. Well, besides that nobody should need to live in a fortified compound, there is also that if the Pelosis paid to have high security measures, they’d be subject to political attacks playing the “hypocrite” card. So damned if you do…

Has Trump commented yet?

When being interviewed about crime issues in the election he mentioned the Pelosi assault and said “that’s a terrible thing”.

Then he went off on a normal-for-him wandering rant about Dem cities being overrun with crime.

Per Snopes and others, the Conservative Talk radio and similar right wing jerks are spreading a rumor that Mr Pelosi picked up the attacker at a gay bar.

…and they were arguing over drugs.

In other news, more social media influencers have been outed as foreign provocateurs.
Ultra-MAGA ‘Hot Babe’ who claimed Obama is a Illuminati lizard turns out to be a Chinese spy (msn.com)

So he was an illegal! (As the child of one such, I can say that.)

I don’t have any idea how this will affect the right-wing narrative, but it’s interesting. I gather in the real world all it means is that he will be tried, and when the justice system is done with him, he’ll be deported.

I’m not sure that they will be able to parse it. “He can’t be illegal, he’s white! And from Canada!”