Nancy Pelosi's Husband Violently Attacked at Home [28 Oct 2022]

I didn’t see another thread on this news story. Not much detail, here’s the CNBC article.

Is anyone else getting worried over how vulnerable our country’s leadership seems to be? The congressional baseball game (Scalise), Jan 6th, and now Pelosi’s husband attacked in their home. This is one of the more disturbing things I’ve noticed in the past few years.

Disturbing indeed. They have the suspect, we need to find out what his motivation was. If he was brainwashed by Facebook propaganda, those who repost such lies should be held liable.

We don’t know the motives for the attack, so I’ll reserve judgement until we know if this was politically motivated or some random crackhead looking for a microwave to pawn for drugs.

Agreed. There are myriad possible explanations, ranging from the mundane to truly horrifying political goals. It just surprises me that the houses and offices of congress seem so easily invaded. I would have thought the Speaker’s house would be far more guarded and secure.

Suspect will probably get arrested and then released without bail.

Congresscritters are meant to be normal citizens who happen to have a job at the capitol. Leadership gets 24-hour protection from Capitol Police, but you’d probably need a new arm of Homeland Security if you wanted to give them and their families the same type of protection the President gets.

It’s not so much that they’re more vulnerable than they used to be. It’s that a certain somebody spent four years stirring up violence and anger against his political opponents. From your article:

From the article:

The attack on Paul Pelosi comes as the U.S. Capitol Police record a drastic rise in threat cases — a 144% increase from 2017 to 2021, according to the department.

Whether or not this one of those cases, it’s definitely true that being in congress is more dangerous than it was ten years ago.

This one is strange so far, an 82 year old is attacked by a hammer and is expected to make a full recovery. Seems that it would be very easy to attack an 82 year with a hammer and cause major damage no matter where you hit them. Was he attacked by an elderly acquaintance perhaps? An unhappy handyman? Doesn’t sound hitman style to me so far.

Neighbors reported hearing goofy sound effects.

I don’t get the joke.

I think it’s a political crack about Democrats being soft on crime or something, but I’ll the that poster explain it. If that was the case, I think it doesn’t belong in MPSIMS, but I’m not a moderator.

US Representative Lee Zeldin - Republican - was attacked on stage while campaigning for the Governor of New York a few months ago

His attacker was released without bail

Apparently, second degree attempted assault is not a crime that needs bail. Maybe that attacker was under-charged, but I have no idea.

I doubt that’s true about a violent home invasion, but I guess we’ll find out!

I quote the article in its (current) entirety:

What’s interesting to me is that the story on the Foxnews website does not have comments enabled. I think they know their readers.

Not the first incident at the Pelosi home:

I believe that the only reason that society and laws work is that most people, unwittingly or otherwise, choose to obey them. Sadly, in the last six years or so, a lot of people are ceasing to do so. I suspect that we’ll see a lot more of this, sadly.

Comments are now enabled.

Moderating:

I know this is a breaking news story about a politician, but it’s still a breaking news story in MPSIMS, and political jabs aren’t appropriate. And… I’m not sure what your point is, but it certainly looks like and attempt at a political jab.

No need to explain (if you think it was non-political, you can DM me), just please drop it.

And the crazies are out in full force.

Per the NYT:

The assailant was in search of Speaker Pelosi, according to a person briefed on the attack. Before the assault occurred, the intruder confronted Mr. Pelosi in their home shouting, “Where is Nancy, where is Nancy?"