Thread Hijacking

Well I appreciate your honest answer. But as the mods themselves insult me at will how are other posters supposed to take it seriously ? I realize some never will and thats fine . But if you can’t get an actual answer from a mod then who ?

Maybe nobody, but maybe you just need another pull from the bottle, another look at the sunset and use the patience of a calf-wrangler in the badlands and just let this place be what it is.

Since you seem unable to read posts which discuss your behavior, I’m gonna take a whack at putting it into language you can understand:

Omegaman , Sir , I want to ask you , as a man , why you must post so much and to get so much attention , my friend ? I know you are a man and I am too but I feel that your constant attempts to make threads about you are bad for the message board . Also , they seem to me go against your stated intent of getting along with people and having conversations free of insults . Sir , if I have offended you , as a man , I deeply apologize for even though I think you are a total moron I would be devastated if you were insulted by my post , for Jesus taught me to love all and so I truly love you , my friend .

Clearly there are, or you would have already let it go by now.

I am not a Mod, but this one seems to have an easy enough answer, so allow me. I would say that the Mods don’t come in to take action to stop all thread hijacks because it’s not a board rule. Specifically, there’s nothing so rigid in the board rules that says every post in a thread must be a direct response to something said by the OP.

Threads go off topic all the time. Sometimes they just venture briefly into mild sidetracks – side discussions that do not necessarily dominate the thread. Sometimes the whole thread’s topic evolves (or devolves, as the case may be) into something else – this would be more fitting for the term “hijack”.

How the moderators will respond to them really depends on the context and the forum. For example, total hijacks of threads are typically discouraged in GQ, although the occasional humorous sidetrack is not heavily frowned upon as long as the OP’s question is actually getting answered. In Great Debates, side discussions related to the original topic sometimes arise, although in GD I think they typically try to keep the debate more or less focused on the OP’s topic. Especially if the side discussion leads to animosity and poo flinging.

In MPSIMS, however – the whole forum is just about random thoughts, light discussion, miscellaneous topics. Hijacks happen plenty. No biggie. Here in the Pit, threads get hijacked into humor and silliness all the time – especially when the pitting is weak or the target of the OP’s ire is vague (as in the case of the “don’t feed the trolls” thread).

Some threads can get derailed into total chaos – usually known as a trainwreck. Although whether to consider a thread a trainwreck or not is a bit subjective – usually involves insults flying fast and free and people getting all bent out of shape, and a serious topic being totally derailed. And BTW, the thread you referred to (the troll thread) was nowhere near trainwreck status when you stepped into it. It was just a vague pitting that had taken a silliness sidetrack, which many Pit threads tend to do (although some were still discussing the OP’s topic).

But there’s no board-wide rule regarding topic hijacks. And especially if the OP of a thread is okay with a sidetrack that a thread takes, few others will mind. If Rilchiam (the OP of that thread) had responded “Hey guys, enough of the ladle jokes – I really want to talk about trolls and why you shouldn’t feed them”, then it’s more likely that a mod would have stepped in, or closed the thread if Rilchiam had requested its closing.

Despite the silly sidetrack, the thread was plugging along in a non-contentious manner. Until you entered it and made it all about you, and your previous closed thread complaint. This is part of why Giraffe called you an attention whore. The original thread wasn’t about you. Or at least, you were never named in the OP, and I don’t know who Rilchiam specifically intended, but my first thought upon reading the OP was the short-lived Trotsky, of several days back (and others like him).

You post a passive-aggressive jab like this, and then you wonder why Giraffe responds in a less-than-loving manner?

Wouldn’t you need a rather large group of giraffes to conceal an elephant? Of course, some elephants are larger than others. Giraffe size also varies.

The authorities need to look out for suspicious groups of Giraffes.

Are you hopeful for a banning? Have you never witnessed one, already? (Pssst. We do not need to meet in a quorum; through the wonders of modern technology, we can “meet” over the course of one or more days with no more than one Mod being “present” at any one time.)

(For that matter, there are some bannings that do not even require a meeting: spammers, posters attempting to do violence to the board, returning sock-puppets, that sort of thing. Being a jerk requires a bit more consensus as there is often a difference of opinion regarding whether a poster is deliberately being a jerk or is simply unable to be other than his (or her) personality demands. Some people, for example, appear to be simply incapable of avoiding their jerk nature. Even when they change their posting styles or their favorite topics, their jerk nature simply shines through. However, we still have to discuss their behavior rather than any Mod unilaterally condemning them.)

Not if the elephant stands sideways.

Giraffe, that was just spooky. :eek:

(um… sock?)

Well, I wasn’t going to be noob enough to say it. :wink:

What did you expect? :wink:

This is a thread about thread hijacking, sparked by your re-hijack of an already hijacked thread… on this board, no less. Of course this one’s going to get hijacked right out of the starting gate! Call it karma…

Aw, relax. He’s just going to keep poking until he gets suspended or banned at which time his righteous indignation will be sated. He ain’t coming down off his cross so there isn’t any point in arguing with him. Let it go, amigo.

Still you do nothing to adress my question. Your entitled to your opinion that I am a moron but be sure it is not so as I make an excellent living for one you consider to be so stupid. I take it from your further insults you don’t intend to answer my question at all and I can only hope you wouldn’t use Jesus to insult me . That’s pretty low even for a person like you Giraffe. Thanks for doing such an excellent job . Perhaps the other moderator of this forum would care to have a crack at the question ?If not feel free to close it or if not , let the hijacking continue . I realize you don’t get paid for what you do here Giraffe. I can only hope you take more pride in your actual job as what you do here you allow yourself to be far to involved in personnaly . I hope you *are * behind a desk where you don’t have authority over others as I feel you would abuse it in the worst way . Like a tyrant .

Sic Semper Camelopardalis!

Is this a flameout? Attempted death by Mod? Cause they are usually a lot more interesting than this.

Do not call my posting low , for that is how I carry myself in real life as a man . I am sure you do an excellent job at your chosen profession for which I respect you deeply , as a man . I too make an excellent living , for which I am paid in large sacks of unmarked bills with many personal comments about my excellent communication and friendliness skills . I can’t take credit for this , as Jesus taught me to be kind to all . It’s too bad you aren’t friendly like me , but instead choose to be a horrible person for whom I have no respect . Sir , I intend no disrespect . I love you .

Now I’m inspired. :wink:

Like A Tyrant
(dedicated to Giraffe)

(sung to a Madonna tune)
I made it through the Pit thread.
I finally made it through.
Didn’t know how mean I was
Until I met you-oo-hoo…

Can’t be beat, I’m elite.
I’ll be bad, 'cause I’m mad at you
And you made me feel
Yeah you made me feel
Like you haven’t a clue.

Chorus:

Like a tyrant… hey!
Banning for the very first time.
Like a tyyyy-yyyy-rant
Closing threads, like an unjust swine.
Gonna pit you all day long boy
I’m typing very fast
Gonna unload all on you
I’m having such a blast

I understand that you’re young
And I have a prehensile tongue
But I’ll ban you no less
Yes I’ll baaaan you no less
Then I’ll treat you like dung!

(chorus)

One more whine, and you’re mine
It’s so wrong, but I’m so unfair
When I delete your posts
When I deeeelete your posts
I’m walking on air!

Chorus:

Like a tyrant… hey!
Banning for the very first time.
Like a tyyyy-yyyy-rant
Closing threads, like an unjust swine.

Oh like a tyrant!
Oooh ooh, like a tyrant.
I feel such power tonight
When I ban you
and I beat you
and I kick you
Oh, ohhhh, oh, oh, oh, oh
ohhh, baby.

Can’t you feel me ban you
For the very last time?

Wait. That’s wax on my robe?

Looks like it wasn’t that exciting of a dream, afterall.

Not wax, Lewinsky.

That is the fear that has kept me from attending an orgy.