Top 10 (or so) reasons that a thread might be locked, please.
Not in any particular order:
(1) At the request of the OP, because a question has been asked and answered.
(2) Because the thread has devolved into a name-calling spree (outside the Pit) and there seems no way to get it back on track.
(3) Because some outside event has interfered – e.g., a thread speculating about some movie, and then the movie comes out. The speculation thread (especially if long) could be locked and a link to the new thread provided.
(4) Because the thread is inappropriate – e.g., a thread about why blacks are inferior intellectualy.
(5) Because the responses are inappropriate – e.g., a person says they are gay but afraid to come out and therefore is depressed, and there are responses like “You shouldn’t be gay, it’s a sin.”
(6) Because there is some behind-the-scenes incident or request from the OP.
(7) Because the thread has run its course and there’s just endless repetition.
(8) Because there is a duplicate thread on the same topic. Sometimes, the two can be merged; other times, the nature of the posts/responses would cause considerable confusion if the threads were merged, so one is locked with a link to the other.
Them’s a few that come to tmind.
Because a Mod is just in one of those inexplicable moods.
Because this particular poster is on a Mod’s shit-list.
(Purely in the interest of completeness, Dex.)
thread locking time of the month
:rolleyes: Geez, does everything in this forum have to turn into a whine-fest?
From this post, apparently yes.
You know better than this, PRR. If you wish to complain about specific moderator actions (including this one), open a thread of your own, don’t disrupt someone else’s.
- Zombie threads–ie, old threads bumped back to the front page in some forums
- Spammers–but they usually get deleted.
- Because the thread is too trivial.
- Because the thread is asking for specific medical or legal advice that’s best left to professionals.
Because a thread is asking about something illegal (e.g., how do I grow pot in my basement)
Because a thread is asking how to circumvent employer/other restrictions (e.g., I want to surf from work but they have a firewall)
Because an unlocked thread shot my paw
- Some trollish threads, particularly when the OP seems to have walked away.