Three Spanish Words?

Here’s an excerpt from Abbey’s Road, where he makes an unfortunate choice of words in a bar:

*“His slap made me spill part of my drink. I muttered three Spanish words, five little syllables that one should never utter, aloud, in the border states, unless one is prepared to die. I could see the words floating on the smoke before us.
The chatter came to a stop. The cowboys looked at me with pity. But not much pity. Drunken hippie they were thinking. A dog’s death. Kicked to pieces in a dusty ditch. And I was thinking (I think), well, what the hell. This is it. Never apologize, never explain.” *

Not being conversant in Spanish, I was wondering what the hell it was that Ed said??

Hijo de puta? (Son of a whore.)

Well, that might be correct, I dunno, Abbey never says. I expect that it was something along maternal lines, however.

Chinga tu madre! (Fuck your mother!)?

[QUOTE=John Mace]
Hijo de puta? (Son of a whore.)
[/QUOTE]

Good one, but this being in the border, the most likely words are the ones were you tell the other guy to F their mother like in the way the **Captain ** mentioned.

[QUOTE=Common Tater]
Well, that might be correct, I dunno, Abbey never says. I expect that it was something along maternal lines, however.
[/QUOTE]

Call someone’s mother a whore isn’t along maternal lines…?

[QUOTE=John Mace]
Call someone’s mother a whore isn’t along maternal lines…?
[/QUOTE]

Certainly! I’m just sayin’, there may be more than one way to get that point across?

[QUOTE=John Mace]
Call someone’s mother a whore isn’t along maternal lines…?
[/QUOTE]

Yes, but location is important, “puta” is typical from Spain, and Latin America. In Mexico and the US Border, though they will understand if you use “puta”, “la chingada” is preferred.

And very important to keep in mind: the advice to not say it in those places “unless one is prepared to die” or fight is sound.

[QUOTE=GIGObuster]
Yes, but location is important, “puta” is typical from Spain, and Latin America. In Mexico and the US Border, though they will understand if you use “puta”, “la chingada” is preferred.

And very important to keep in mind: the advice to not say it in those places “unless one is prepared to die” or fight is sound.
[/QUOTE]

OK, but I was addressing the specific point that “hijo de puta” was not a maternal insult. You’re not insulting the “hijo” so much as the alleged “puta”.

[QUOTE=GIGObuster]
Yes, but location is important, “puta” is typical from Spain, and Latin America. In Mexico and the US Border, though they will understand if you use “puta”, “la chingada” is preferred.

And very important to keep in mind: the advice to not say it in those places “unless one is prepared to die” or fight is sound.
[/QUOTE]

*Hijo de la chingada * would be used more commonly than hijo de puta but also a very common insult would be hijo de tu puta madre.

But to answer the OP, chinga tu madre are definitely fighting words.

[QUOTE=John Mace]
Call someone’s mother a whore isn’t along maternal lines…?
[/QUOTE]

To insult someone’s mother is known as rayar la madre. All of the terms mentioned fall under this category.

Le puse una putiza porque me rayó la madre.

I kicked his ass becaue he insulted my mother.

[QUOTE=Captain Amazing]
Chinga tu madre! (Fuck your mother!)?
[/QUOTE]
This was the first thing that popped into my mind as well.

my vote goes for “hijo de puta”. Only a mexican would use “chinga tu madre” and they would know not to use it, of course!. “hijo de puta” is very very common in all spanish speaking countries and means the same all over. It is also something that foreigners (specially americans) seem to lear very quickly as it is a “concept” that exists in their native tongues (son of a bitch) as opposed to “fuck your mother” which is not that common to hear in any language I know.

[QUOTE=Sapo]
my vote goes for “hijo de puta”. Only a mexican would use “chinga tu madre” and they would know not to use it, of course!. “hijo de puta” is very very common in all spanish speaking countries and means the same all over. It is also something that foreigners (specially americans) seem to lear very quickly as it is a “concept” that exists in their native tongues (son of a bitch) as opposed to “fuck your mother” which is not that common to hear in any language I know.
[/QUOTE]
Chinga tu/su madre is pretty well known among my fellow gringo buddies. My understanding is that it means “I am fucking your mother” as opposed to “fuck your mother”.

[QUOTE=Sapo]
my vote goes for “hijo de puta”. Only a mexican would use “chinga tu madre” and they would know not to use it, of course!. “hijo de puta” is very very common in all spanish speaking countries and means the same all over. It is also something that foreigners (specially americans) seem to lear very quickly as it is a “concept” that exists in their native tongues (son of a bitch) as opposed to “fuck your mother” which is not that common to hear in any language I know.
[/QUOTE]

:confused:

The context clearly notes that the narrator knows about the insults of the area, and since the area is the border states and with cowboys, all that points to a place next to Mexico. Really, natives from this area do learn about how to insult “properly”. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=DanBlather]
Chinga tu/su madre is pretty well known among my fellow gringo buddies. My understanding is that it means “I am fucking your mother” as opposed to “fuck your mother”.
[/QUOTE]

So “besa me tonto” isn’t the answer? :slight_smile:

'besame tonto" could get your madre chinga’ed very quickly

[QUOTE=CBEscapee]
***Hijo de la chingada * **would be used more commonly than hijo de puta but also a very common insult would be hijo de tu puta madre.
[/QUOTE]
(bolding mine).

That has more than five syllables :slight_smile:

Chinga tu madre and hijo de puta have five syllables each. I think only Mexicans use the first one. And yes, those are fighting words.

[QUOTE=Mighty_Girl]
(bolding mine).

…I think only Mexicans use the first one…
[/QUOTE]

Chingar. En el lenguage diario de los mexicanos no hay otra palabra como chingar. Por esa palabra nos reconocemos entre extraños.

[QUOTE=CBEscapee]
Por esa palabra nos reconocemos entre extraños.
[/QUOTE]

esta chingon que no se puedan reconocer por algo mas lindo, guey. :cool: