Three "wise" men find Jesus

1 Corinthians 3:18-19

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_atheism#Geographic_distribution

Those people would have worldly wisdom but would be fools in God’s sight…

Psalm 14:1

On the other hand, three “wise” men found Jesus. But they didn’t use the wisdom of science - instead they used the wisdom of astrology… the stars told them that a great king would be born.

I believe that says everything that needs to be noted about your post and opinions.

The best reply to that comes courtesy of Stephen Fry:

Paraphrasing and using his lines in a Straight Dope setting:

In fact if you are watching the Straight Dope now, and you believe in astrology, you are banned from watching it; you are not allowed, you must turn it off now. :slight_smile:

Note that in the title I said “wise” men (with the quotes) I also used quotes in the end of the post. I guess I should have also said:

they used the “wisdom” of astrology

so that you’d know that I was also being sarcastic there.

You see Christians say that men were “wise” but I don’t think they actually were, but in part of my post I was pretending they had actual wisdom…

Spread out…

A whoop whoop whoop…

And once again down the rabbit hole we go…

Merry Christmas!

Are there no prisons, no workhouses?

Moved MPSIMS --> Great Debates.

Oh, a wise guy eh?

Nyuck, nyuck, nyuck.

nm (confused about prisons and workhouses)

A wise person would know that the Gospels don’t mention the specific number of magi (wise men) that allegedly came to acknowledge the birth of Jesus. There is a mention of 3 gifts, but not that there were 3 men.

A christian that believes in astrology?!

I could swear I’ve seen stuff like astrology and tarot cards denounced as demonic.

Yeah you know I thought about that last night but forgot to mention that. Here’s a Bible verse I also wanted to include though it isn’t very relevant - well it is about an angel and angels are part of the nativity story…
Isaiah 37:36:
Then the angel of the LORD went out and put to death a hundred and eighty-five thousand in the Assyrian camp. When the people got up the next morning–there were all the dead bodies!

I asked my fundy sister about the “wise” men but she said that astrology isn’t Christian - but that’s how they knew there would be a great king (apparently) - an angel didn’t tell them, it was the stars.
BTW there is a DVD called “The Star” which I own which is about the star of Bethlehem:

He found a conjunction of Jupiter (the “king planet”) and Regulus (the “king star”) in 3 BC, which he claims would have announced the conception of Jesus to the magi.

That involves astrology (the meaning behind stars and planets) rather than science.

Bah! Humbug!

The only The Star worth mentioning.

CMC fnord!

“Led by a bottle, more like!”

[/Monty Python]

Follow a star some night, any star, and let me know where you end up.