Tim Hortons in Texas

As the title says, apparently we’re getting several Tim Hortons in Texas next year, with the first to open in the Houston area and skipping over 1000 miles of the American heartland to the nearest one somewhere in Ohio or thereabouts.

The Canadians I know swear by it. So, they’ve got decent coffee? Doughnuts? What’s the deal?

Tim’s has adequate, consistent coffee. That’s it.

Donuts used to be baked in store up here, now it’s all central commissary. They have soup (Campbell’s with a Tim’s label) and sandwiches that are all ok.

Good sandwiches, all around good stuff. Loved them when I lived near Buffalo.

Sadly, it doesn’t appear that Austin will be getting one.

I live in Michigan, where we have had Tim Horntons for a long time. Anyway, their coffee is one of the single most overrated Canadian things I’ve experienced. I lived overseas with many Canadians who absolutely swore by Tim Horntons and insisted it was amazing.

It is fine. Yep, it’s fine. Not great, though. I like it more than Dunkin Donuts normal coffee, anyway.

How the heck did it get to Texas?

Just Houston at first, but if it works out, they’re certain to expand to the other cities.

Good question. I’d love to know. I guess every major fast food chain wants a piece of the action.

That sounds like Dunkin Donuts, which used to have in-store bakeries, but now they’re made in a central location.

Tim Horton’s is owned by Restaurant Brands International, the parent company of Burger King. It’s not Canadian owned any more, even if you can taste Justin Bieber’s balls

http://news.timhortons.ca/theyre-here-the-limited-edition-lineup-of-justin-biebers-timbiebs-timbits-are-now-available-at-participating-tim-hortons-restaurants-in-canada-and-the-u-s-along-with-a-lineup-of-exclusi/

Yes, Timmy’s is very popular in Canada, and I honestly have no idea why. From my recollection of their coffee I’d consider it mediocre. Frankly I think McDonald’s usually has much better coffee, and so is my own at home. I have no real opinion on their donuts or other foods. Haven’t been to one in a long time, but they’re all over the place here.

I think it’s a matter of national pride. “You Americans think you’re all that with your five dollar whatthefuckaccinos. We drink Real Coffee at real prices from a real donut shop!”

I’ve always looked at Dunkin Donuts that way, and had friends who were practically addicted to their coffee. I was walking around downtown Chicago and finally got the perfect opportunity to try their coffee and a donut.

Meh.

It was a lot like McDonald’s coffee. No particular flavor, not that strong or that memorable. But okay.

I think Kwik Trip has got them beat quality-wise (a gas station with pretty good donuts… and either their Raised or their Old Fashioned ones are usually on sale for 33¢). And the coffee is a solid B+.

BUT none of the above comes anywhere close to a neighborhood bakery and a local coffee joint! Nosh local, people!

ps: Texas? That is SO unfair. Minnesota and Wisconsin are almost Baja Canada, and WE don’t get a “Timmy’s” …

Minnesota briefly had Tim Horton’s then one day POOF shuttered. I didn’t drink coffee then, but their doughnuts were nothing to write home about, and the service was horrible.

On the plus side, the TH’s nearest me reopened as a KFC, which had been absent for years.

With Shipley’s being so popular down there, I’m surprised they chose to expand in Houston. I’ve passed by some of their NYC locations, but am only tempted to go in when I’m north of the border (or at one on the NY State thruway). Their lunch sandwiches are pretty good in general. Everything else is Dunkin Donuts level.

From my experience: decent doughnuts, OK coffee, forget the sandwiches and other stuff.

I’m Canadian and to me the only admirable thing about Tim’s is the effectiveness of their brainwashing. They’re even in UAE.

IMHO they’re just not that good. Chain-wise, I’ll take Second Cup any time.

Great_Antibob, I wouldn’t bother if I were you.

Decent coffee, decent doughnuts, decent food. I must admit I’m somewhat addicted to the ice caps, which aren’t really all that good but give me the sugar and caffeine I need to survive a night shift (or for that matter a dayshift when the days are this short… But we’re past the solstice now… soon the sun will return).

They’re primarily popular because they’ve done an excellent job at marketing to and implanting themselves in Canadian culture, more so than any other brand I can think of. Their commercials love to talk about they’re founded by a hockey player, their sponsorship of children’s hockey leagues, the Canadian winter and landscape, and they have some of the best hockey players (Nathan Mackinnon, Sidney Crosby) as spokesman. They also work very hard to be seen as charitable and homey. They’ve banked so heavily into Canadiana I’m curious how they intend to market themselves elsewhere. I think the same tactic in the US would just come across as phony.

I like their maple dipped doughnuts. I usually get some when I’m in Canada.

@Mahaloth, have you had the Canadian Tim Horton’s coffee?

I have both fairly regularly and I swear there is a difference. The American TH coffee is ok, the Canadian coffee is superior.

mmm

Normally, I’d say if they brought some of the weather down here along with the mediocre (?) donuts and coffee, I’d be all for it. But considering how our electrical grid handled things last February, I’m not sure it could handle lukewarm coffee much less temperatures under 35 degrees.

I don’t often do morning coffee or donuts, but I’ll try anything at least once. Our company shut down our Canadian office, downsized some, and moved the rest down to Houston last year. I’m sure some of them will be thrilled, at least.

Who knows if it will last, or even make it to fruition. Several of their recent attempts to enter new markets have failed catastrophically due to their terrible franchisee relations.

No. But come on. Really? There is a difference? Come on.

If the suppliers or supply chain was different for the US locations then possibly. But yeah I kind of doubt it…reminds of the old Canadian stereotype about American beer being inferior.