Tips for using Discourse to avoid hijacks

Apparently Discourse has nifty tools to create offshoot threads for exploring tangents. I request a tutorial. Is it just a matter of posting a link to another post in your new thread?

Bonus: There’s a details option under the gear icon. It might be a good place for tangential discussion. There’s no option for it when making new threads so I’ll show it in the next post.

This thread is devoted to hijack management.

A little about hijack etymology:

Summary

According to the Manchester Guardian, the word hijack comes from the US Prohibition era.

Confusingly, they also claim that the word can be traced to per-revolutionary France.

But I’d still like to know more about how Discourse handles inter-thread linking.

A little discussion about threads.

noun

1. a fine cord of flax, cotton, or other fibrous material spun out to considerable length, especially when composed of two or more filaments twisted together.

2. twisted filaments or fibers of any kind used for sewing.

3. one of the lengths of yarn forming the warp or weft of a woven fabric.

4. a filament or fiber of glass or other ductile substance.

5. Ropemaking.

• any of a number of fibers twisted into a yarn.

• a yarn, especially as enumerated in describing small stuff.

1. something having the fineness or slenderness of a filament, as a thin continuous stream of liquid, a fine line of color, or a thin seam of ore: a thread of smoke.

2. the helical ridge of a screw.

3. that which runs through the whole course of something, connecting successive parts: I lost the thread of the story.

4. something conceived as being spun or continuously drawn out, as the course of life fabled to be spun, measured, and cut by the Fates.

5. Digital Technology. a series of posts and responses on a message board or electronic mailing list that deal with the same subject and are grouped together.

6. threads, Slang. clothes.

This creates some moderation issues (maybe better discussed in ATMB:

Details option: Moderation issues

On the one hand it creates a mechanism for presenting tangents/borderline hijacks. On the other, the mod has to click the link to mod it. It’s sort of like a spoiler box in that excessive use could cause issues. Unless! Unless, the mods have a way of setting things up so they automatically see all spoilers and all Details without clicking.

I wrote the step by step up before, but it isn’t in my bookmarks. I’ll try to track it down again.

I know @Max_S uses this feature so I’ll page him to your thread also.

Thread Splitting or Reply as linked topic.

• Click Reply to the post you’re using as your jumping off point for the new thread.
  • In the upper left corner click the Right Arrow button.
  • Choose Reply as linked Topic.
  • This will open the Create a new topic interface.
  • Type in your Title, select the forum and optionally the tag(s)
  • Then add to the Continuing Discussion for the body of the post.

Ah, I have it as one of my macros. Well now I have this post bookmarked.

Thanks! That’s a nice feature.

Ok, upper-left-hand-corner arrow feature is good for creating new threads to respond to posts. But if you want to respond to a post within another thread, I’d use the url bar or the triple-dot button at the bottom of each post. For example:

For goodness sake don’t tell the people over in Thread Games about this. Things could get out of hand.