Tired Trends

I’d say “edgy” TV shows and making existing shows “edgier”, but I think they’ve already figured out that this is passe.

Second this one. I was remarking on this very issue last night to my wife. The proliferation of “While you were out” ripoffs is likely to generate a “Who wants to be a millionaire”-type backlash.

(Yes, I know “Millionaire” is still on the air during the daytime, but it’s no longer on four nights a week in prime time.)

Speaking tangentially, I’ll do it for free.

I, for one, will be very happy when tattoos are once again reserved for sailors, convicts, and bikers. If that makes me an old stick-in-the-mud, fine. But I find tattoos on women to be a tremendous turnoff.

Women with the “chunky” highlights in the hair. Did they all get this idea from Kelly Clarkson from American Idol? That was what, two years ago? And now it can be done at home with that bleaching “rake” tool. Great, get the year-before’s tired hairdo tomorrow!

Entertainment news programs, and entertainment news mediathon obsessions. I do not and have never cared about Lopez and Affleck, Britney and Madonna, Laci Peterson, Elizabeth Smart, Private Lynch, Aston and Demi, and so on and so on.

Mediathon obsessions with the leisure class as somehow famous and newsworthy – Paris Hilton for example. What she ate for breakfast is important to whom exactly? And why?

Reality dating show spectacles.

Redesign/remodeling shows. I hope the world doesn’t run out of interior designers and tired couples hoping to get that French provincial/American folk art barn/Moroccan look in their home.

Commercials using children to sell SUVs. Has anyone ever bought a car because their kids hassled them to buy one?

Trucker hats. I hope this trend leads to the return of suspenders as fashion statement, because that will be only slightly less ridiculous.

Harry Potter anything.

Anything VH1 is interested in making a show about.

Pieces of jewelry stuck through every spare flap of skin and cartilage. We get it. You’re special. Such a rebel and so original. Get over it, already.

Oh, and all you job seekers who wear all this crap? I don’t care how qualified you are, you’re outa luck getting hired in my office, cuz my gag reflex just won’t handle it.

“Priceless.” What I wouldn’t give for a time machine to go back and destroy the room where the Mastercard marketing team came up with that bullshit tagline. Mastercard keeps doing it, and people keep imitating it.

That thing they do, especially in ads, where the camera moves really fast!..and then, slows way down. And then speeds up! Argh. I’m so tired of that.

Flashy graphical presentations in the TV news; just fucking tell me what happened; I don’t need diagrams, charts and lame computer reconstructions.

This one doesn’t qualify as a “trend” exactly as it’s at least 20 years old.

But Rap, and the “toddler with a full diaper” baggy pants look that goes along with it.

Please, PLEASE make this stuff go away.

I hardly ever watch TV anymore, so I can’t think of any television ads that bother me besides the ones that have already been mentioned. I do listen to the radio on the way to and from school though, and there are some that I just can’t stand anymore.

The Carl’s Jr. commercials with a guy talking about just how difficult it is to prepare a frozen TV dinner, giving up, and getting Carl’s Jr. instead. The same voice actor also does another ad for Carl’s Jr. in which he’s preparing dinner for his girlfriend/wife and mispronounces every word he encounters in the ingredients list, gives up, and picks up Carl’s Jr. (big surprise). I’d be awfully depressed if I was that stupid.

There’s also been a trend lately where one person on the ad complains about his cable/satellite/phone service, then the spokesperson for the company interrupts with a pitch for the product. I DO NOT WANT to go to a company or a business that doesn’t even respect me enough to let me finish a freaking sentence.

Oh, and super-duper long scarves that come to the wearer’s ankles look stupid.

OOoooh I HATE those, lilb!!! Along with all of those “make men look like incompetent idiots at any household task” kind of TV commercials.

They annoy the dickens out of me, I refuse to buy the products they advertise. And I don’t stop there, I have written a few letters to the companies about how insulting their commercials are.

Heck, I’ve had a few boyfriends who could cook WAY better than I can, and I’m not a bad hand in the kitchen. Grrrrrr, that’s one trend (the “men are dumb in the house” one) that can end immediately.

Entertainment News shows can all die flaming deaths.
Manufactured Music Stars.
Old Music Stars trying to stay “edgy” rather than just keeping on trucking.
Young, Blonde and Cute Female News Announcers.
Short Hair on same.
Politics.

Nice one nineiron.
[ul]
[li]Could speaking like Chandler Bing BE any more annoying?[/li][li]Flash in the pan teen pop superstars who act, sing, model, dance, and host music video awards. Anyone remember Monica from 1998? Me neither. [/li][li]“Got [blank]?” No. No I don’t. Didja know that it’s been around 10 years since the original MAMMA milk marketing campaign? In 10 years you can’t think of anyone else’s marketing campaign to rip off?[/li][/ul]

Here’s one that annoys me, it’s either getting imitated a lot or this one director is getting a lot of business.

There’s a shot of this person talking. While the soundtrack is still playing this person’s voice, it cuts to a shot of the person just smiling, from a slightly different angle, and then cuts back to the person actually talking.

I saw this first in some kind of insurance commercial, then a year or so later I saw this technique used CONSTANTLY in VH1 specials where they were interviewing people.

T-shirts for girls that say “Hottie” or “Princess” or “Total Babe” or some annoying crap like that. They’re bad enough on the rack, but I just wanna slap a girl who wears one. Particularly since they’re making them now in tiny pre-teen sizes.

And I know EXACTLY the commercial you’re talking about, Badtz Maru. It ran down here, too. It reminds me of the familiar trick in movies/TV shows where the soundtrack of the next scene starts while the present scene is still playing. I don’t know when that started, but it’s like SOP now, and I find it irritating.

Oh, and has anybody else seen those new Sonic commercials? They’ve only been on locally for about a month, but I’m sick of them; these two guys drive up to some anonymous drive-thru and sit there and whine about “Well, Sonic has this!” and “Sonic has Texas toast!” and “Sonic serves bigger breakfast burritos!”

Dammit, GO TO SONIC THEN!

Geez. Since when is it cool to advertise your product by harassing other companies’ employees?