TNG episode "The Perfect Mate"

Rewatching TNG episodes, and just caught this one. Lots to like about this episode, and some questions.

Good stuff:[ul]
[li] Famke Janssen in one of her first roles, looking insanely hot.[/li][li] Dr. Huer from Buck Rogers - nice to see him again.[/li][li] Rom from DS9 playing a different Ferengi.[/li][li] Picard and Crusher having breakfast together every morning - had we seen that before? Nice touch if not. Good line - Picard: “May I take off my uniform for a moment?” Crusher (coyly): “Captain!”[/li][/ul]

Questions:[ul]
[li] Is the metamorph supposed to be a Trill?[/li][li] After she comes on to Riker and he resists, he says “Bridge - if you need me I’ll be in holodeck four.” So we’re to assume he went to go rub one out, yes? Is this the only time in TNG where they had such a direct reference to masturbation? Also, I wonder of Joss Whedon knew about that line when he used “I’ll be in my bunk.” [/li][li] Are we to conclude that Picard nailed her? I think the last scene bore that out - Buck Rogers guy asked him how he was able to resist, and Picard just said “Have a safe trip.” Plus she told Picard that she had already imprinted herself onto him, and will never love the new guy the way she was intended. If so that was pretty damn stupid of Picard, wasn’t it?[/li][li] (My big complaint) This metamorph was orchestrated since birth to be with the warring faction’s ruler. They said that over and over again, and it was the basis for Crusher’s complaints about it. OK. If that were the case, wouldn’t her teachers have only taught her things that would be of interest to the other ruler? Why would they bother to fill her head with knowledge about woven Ventanan thimbles, or teach her the Klingon sex-call, or any of the knowledge from other worlds that would never come up? Seems like a waste of time.[/li][/ul]

Any other thoughts or comments?

I haven’t seen the episode in years, but I do remember it being one of TNG’s finest.

I started to say “Picard totally nailed her” but actually I’m not sure. They made a big deal of his devotion to duty so maybe not. It’s nicely ambiguous.

No, but the Memory Alpha entry on the episode does note this:

"Famke Janssen was supposed to play the science officer of Deep Space Nine, Jadzia Dax. When Janssen turned the role down, actress Terry Farrell took her place. When initial make-up tests with the original Trill make-up from “The Host” didn’t look convincing, the make-up crew remembered Kamala’s spots and decided to use them on the Trill as seen on Deep Space 9. Hence Kriosians’ makeup very much resembles DS9 Trill makeup with the characteristic spots. "

I don’t think it’s a reference to masturbation. He could have been going to play some holographic Parisi Squares or any other vigorous physical activity. Or he could have been going to have a holographic booty call. If all he was going to do was spank it, why not just go to his quarters?

Hard to believe that is the same woman who played Onatopp in Goldeneye. Very different roles and believable in both. I love Famke Janssen.

[quote=“Morbo, post:1, topic:530442”]

[li] (My big complaint) This metamorph was orchestrated since birth to be with the warring faction’s ruler. They said that over and over again, and it was the basis for Crusher’s complaints about it. OK. If that were the case, wouldn’t her teachers have only taught her things that would be of interest to the other ruler? Why would they bother to fill her head with knowledge about woven Ventanan thimbles, or teach her the Klingon sex-call, or any of the knowledge from other worlds that would never come up? Seems like a waste of time.[/li][/QUOTE]

Not really any different from 18th Century courtesans (and 21st Century geishas) or the fable of Scheherazade being trained in arts and literature. They’re expected to make conversation, be a dutiful hostess and a credit to her husband.

She’s trained to be suitable to her husband, but she’s also expected to be the top of the upper eschalon of society. She needs to be entertaining, intelligent, funny, etc for her husbands guests.

It’s also never noted that sex is necessary to make the imprint, so there’s no reason to assume that they had sex. Of course, they might have, but then again, they might not have.

Well I equate a holographic booty call and spanking it as the same thing. I think it was fairly onbvious the way the scene was set up that we were to think that.

OK, but that would have been confined to Earth - one planet. Surely they could train her on all aspects of her husband’s cultures on his planet only. I can’t see why she would need to know how to coo at a Klingon or have knowledge of some faraway planet’s woven artifacts. When would that come up?

I haven’t seen this episode in years, so can’t really reply to the OP questions. But, I do remember, when first seeing it, that it was sort of a counterpoint to the TOS series where Kirk gets cried on by that blue chick (I think she was blue) which supposedly imprints *him *to be totally devoted to her for life. Of course, he shakes it off, because of his total bad-ass frat-boy mojo.

I watched this episode when it was on the other day. My fiance who knows nothing of Star Trek walked in and said “Which X-men movie is this?”
Picard didn’t nail her but he didn’t resist her emotionally. He let himself fall for her little bit.

I forgot which season this was… was this well into the focus being Picard or part of the transition from “Riker: Man of Action” to “Riker: Man of B Plots”

Hard to say - 5 episodes earlier was the one where Riker falls for the genderless alien who identified as female, and 4 episodes later was the one where Picard lives out the rest of his life on that planet due to the probe.

He may have had sex with her, but that’s not why she imprinted on him. She imprinted on him because they spent so much time together, and he was a commanding presence.

–Cliffy

IIRC, she imprinted on him because she enjoyed herself when she was who she was when she was with him.

I thought Federation holodecks did not allow booty calls…but such things could be had at places like Quark’s on DS9…

Yep. I watched this episode last night, her line, “Because of you, I know and understand the meaning of duty” really it me hard. Kind of nice to know I haven’t totally succumbed to cynicism in my oldish age.

I don’t know if I belive that. Specifically I’m remembering the scene, or more precisely the look on Counselor Troi’s when she sees Barkelely’s rendition of her. I sure thougth it implied a sexual nature to the holo-Troi.

The chick wasn’t blue, but apart from that you’re about right. Kirk shook it off because he was already married to [del]Spock[/del] his ship. :slight_smile:

If you don’t mind a reference to Voyager, I can point out that that is not true. The Doctor makes a female Vulcan for Vorik when he starts going through (his first) Pon Farr out in the Delta Quadrant. Vorik is seen at least beginning the Vulcan mating ritual, although it is insufficient to stop his blood fever.

Scene - the bridge of the Enterprise

the bridge lighting flickers on & off

Picard: Data, what is causing that?

Data: Captain, I am detecting an electrical short in Holodeck 4.

Picard: Chief O’Brien, please report to Holodeck 4 and remove Commander Riker from the wall socket…AGAIN!

I hated this episode. I hated that her entire being revolved around being pleasing to a future mate. She had no character of her own. It was really depressing. Even more depressing is the fact that Picard wasn’t revolted by the idea that he loved her because she had molded herself into something he loved, not because she was inherently… well, anything. She was an empty shell made to be filled with nothing more than what he desired, and for some reason this appealed to him. I think this is my least favorite Trek episode of all time.