[QUOTE=Kimstu]
I agree in theory. However, my personal cynical contemptuous suspicion (and I guess the Pit is the place for it) is that Dobson is just grasping at a ten-foot pole here. He knows that the whole Haggard scandal is going to be a huge blot on the evangelical movement, and he’s looking to get as farrrrrrrrrrr away from it as possible.
[/quote]
Perhaps. My personal opinion of James Dobson is better than yours. I think he is a very genuine person, who preaches what he believes. I also think he LIVES what he believes, which absolutely colors my opinon of him.
I don’t have a problem with people who preach things I don’t necessarily agree with…so long as they live what they preach. Just like I don’t have a problem with people believing in other things I don’t agree with. Hey…not my call, not my business.
I DO have a HUGE problem with people who preach one thing and live another thing.
I recently lost my father, and my niece put a CD together in memory of my dad. It had this song on it that was SO totally about my dad that it could have been written with him in mind. Here is the lyric.
http://www.uppercutmusic.com/artist_b/bruce_carroll_lyrics/id_rather_see_a_sermon_lyrics.html
Lots of bad spelling there, but I think you can figure it out quite easily.
“I’d Rather See A Sermon”…that is the name of the song, and that is so totally how I view this Haggard thing. Live a lie, and although I will feel compassion for you when you get caught, and I’ll pray for you to get to where you need to be? I will also not hold you in great regard. Unless I know you personally, of course, which is a whole 'nother issue. People you love…you love them. You KNOW them, and you know what there is about them that allows you to hold them in great regard while still not agreeing with the behavior that distresses you. Public people…you don’t have that kind of information.
I don’t know the man, and I have no idea what is truth here. All I know is that he was preaching one thing and living another. I’ll pray for him. Not for him to “ungay himself”, but for him to get his life together. For him to get content, to reconcile his faith with whatever his issues are. To figure out his “truth.”
But in reference to Dobson? The truth is, you cannot find another person’s truth FOR them. All you can do is to stand by them while they find it for themself. I can’t fault Dobson for bowing out…he should never have said he’d do it in the first place and that was wrong. Perhaps he realized that…I prefer to think that he did. I hope and pray that what he said about standing by his friend during this time of trouble was truth. If it wasn’t, I’ll no longer hold him in high regard.
Maybe that is harsh of me, but then…all I have to go on here is the public person. And so that is all I can use make my decisions.