"To go potty"

Just out of curiosity, what does “going potty” mean to you guys? Is it simply going to the bathroom, or does it refer specifically to urination or defecation? I don’t want to skew the results, so I won’t say what it means to me other than I make a distinction between “going potty” and “going to the potty” (not that I ever use either phrase in real life). I’m just wondering whether it’s just me, a regional thing, a gender thing, or it’s a common distinction.

“Go Potty” to me means “Go crazy”

It means that the speaker is six years old or younger, be it physically or just mentally.

Yeah, we guys are more descriptive. Either that, or we just say “I’m going to the bathroom/washroom”.
Descriptive like :“I’m gonna take the browns to the super bowl. It’s going to be a come from behind victory.”

No, not juvenile at all.

Or is speaking to or about someone six years old or younger. This summer I’m babysitting some 3 and 4 year olds. I got laughed at yesterday for saying to them “OK, everyone go potty, we’re going outside.”

I’d probably associate it more with peeing than pooping, but don’t really spend much more time thinking about it than that.

What Manny said. :slight_smile:

It’s a term used by women that are offended by the thought of saying toilet, or when people are talking to kids.
I have heard it for the term crasy, but it’s not much in use in the USA.

I’ve seen some bad stuff when people go potty in the public potty. :frowning:

It could also mean that the speaker has children. I’m a fairly large 38 year old man, and I say “be right back, gotta go potty”.

I don’t think anyone is interested in what I will be doing whilst in the restroom, so I do not differentiate. Nor do I want to share how “wicked” nor “major” any bodily functions might be.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. What did it mean to you when you were a kid, then. I’m just trying to figure out how this word is normally used with children or whoever. Zheesh, is it that hard to get a straight answer round here?

You have been here since 2000 and you need to ask that? Haha. :slight_smile: Hollow laughter.

As a furriner, I just take this “got potty” thing to mean "go to bathroom for unspecified bowel, bladder or both, functions, so I suppose it will be interesting to learn if it has a specific meaning.

Um, not “got potty” but “GO potty”. A wee mistake there.

Ooh, look at the bad puns of me. :smiley:

I wouldn’t even want to know anything more specific about someone going potty than, I’m headed into the restroom, I’ll be there for a bit and then I’ll be back.

What they do or don’t do while there is none of my business.

Either or.

That’s how I started the first thread, but then thought someone would mistake it for the added in crazy posts.

It’s for any needed use of the toilet.

Any of the uses of a bathroom, except an actual bath/shower. I use the phrase and I am childless old spinster. I’m sure it grates on people that I use a baby phrase but it’s not the worst thing I could be doing to them.

All food and no potty make Mutter Museum colon something something…

I loathe that expression. To me, it means you are, or are being raised by, a not-terribly-bright whitebread stay-at-home mom with plebian tastes and values, who wasn’t really sure she wanted children but couldn’t figure out what else to do. Sorry if that makes you feel all offended.

OK.

Lemme explain the question. When I was growing up, it was in a Polish household, so we never used these expressions. However, I somehow ended up equating the phrase “I gotta go potty” with, to be coarse, taking a dump. “I gotta go pee-pee” or “wee-wee” referred to taking a whizz. The distinction was important up to a certain age because it signified the degree of parental involvement necessary. At least, that’s what I think today.

So, to sum up, for me it’s been: “I gotta go potty” = “dropping a deuce.” “I gotta go to the potty” = “I need to use the bathroom”. I’m wondering if I’m completely anamolous in this usage. So far, it does seem to be the case.

Oh, one more variant: “I gotta potty.” I also associate this specifically with “dropping the kids off at the pool.”

In that case I would say “I gotta pee” or in more urgent cases “I gotta pee like a racehorse.” I’m still trying to figure out the female equivalent of “draining the weasel”.

Or, as I’ve said since 2003, “I gotta pee like a Seabiscuit.”