To the Hit....lerrr Trump Youth.

I cringe every time I see that video. Who’s apologizing for freedom? Who’s showing cowardice? It’s belligerent jingoistic nonsense.

And this is a duplicate thread. "Freedom kids" do militaristic song and dance routine at Trump rally (Video) - Miscellaneous and Personal Stuff I Must Share - Straight Dope Message Board

I didn’t compare it to the Holocaust.

I compared it to the mindless, singing, dancing indoctrination of German youth to adore their beloved Fuhrer.

As a conservative, this sort of thing is disgusting and I don’t care if they’re singing to General Washington himself.

Some of us have relatives old enough to remember the real thing, you know.

I don’t disagree with “disgustingly,” but the first adjective that came to my mind was “idiotic.”

I think there’s a foolishness that is associated with any decision to use kids as political props. This is merely another example of that foolishness, although I admit that when it comes from a leading presidential candidate’s campaign, “disgust,” and even “fear,” are certainly on the plate too, given the mix of kids and jingoism.

That could indicate an unfortunately narrow political spectrum of political thought represented by the SDMB. YMMV of course.

Semantics. The mindless, singing dancing and indoctrination is associated with Hitler, Hitler represents atrocities, and authoritarianism and the Holocost. Hitler is not just a person or a historical figure, he is a symbol of all that can go wrong when one chooses the wrong leadership. I have never heard the name Hitler invoked to mean anything else - in the U.S. anyway.

To be clear, Hitler is to be condemned, but Hitler per did lots of things that were within the realm of normalcy; just saying Hitler did something or Hitler youth acted one way or another is mere hyperbole in some cases.

It’s a little uncomfortable watching kids sing about “crushing our enemies” and “boys take 'em down!”

No, I think it’s more likely to be due to the fact that you’re a fucking idiot.

I have never said I was particularly intelligent.

Ironic how when I am being civil in this thread you turn to this vitriol so quickly - and of course you probably think that anyone who defends Trump in any way is an angry, hateful and bitter person.

Nah. This is the Pit. I don’t need to suffer fools gladly, so I don’t. I made no assumption about your mental state. I do know your posts in this thread have been exceptionally stupid, which is what I was referring to.

What in particular is stupid in my posts? Where do you see flawed reasoning? My posting history shows that many times I have been shown to be in error, and readily acknowledge the fact when I am.

So, I invite you to have a more serious discussion. Or you can just hurl insults at me if that is your preferred method of fighting ignorance. If you believe that I am too much of a fool to even speak with I can accept that; I readily acknowledge that you are a poster who is superior to me in intellect.

Boring.

Nah, that’s just for fun.

OK. I think the pit isn’t the place for me; exchanging insults is not my idea of fun. We’re just different types of people.

You should stay out of the Pit, then. If you want a serious discussion, have it in Great Debates.

It doesn’t. It indicates that even a thoroughgoing right-winger like Stringbean–and he is–thinks Trump’s antics are repulsive.

If you want to suggest that Stringbean is only conservative in comparison to the (allegedly) leftward tilt of the SDMB…well, you’re just plain wrong, and speaking from ignorance. No offense meant.

I like medium serious; I think I’ll go to IMHO. I actually am curious though, where you see the gaping flaws in my logic - I kid you not asshole. (just decided to throw asshole in the end to keep it from be too dull of a pit post - but that’s it. I’m on my merry way. Just post your retort insulting me and we will be done with this whole affair).

I’m exploring the idea of that as a possibility is all; I do not have a firm belief one way or another. I could show the foundation for my belief in the possibility that the board is very left leaning, but that would end up being too serious for this forum.

Anyhow, you’re making the pit dull by responding to my post in a reasonable way and not insulting me, this is just not how we do things here. Colibri is getting very bored right now.

How you live with yourself is beyond me then.

Oooooh, burn!

Now you know. Feel free to search Stringbean’s posting history.

No, this is definitely the place for it. But it’s an exercise in futility. Your “very left-leaning” is my “slightly left-leaning and biased against bullshit.” And wouldn’t change the fact that Stringbean is objectively right-wing as hell.

I think you missed the point. Reason and rationality and lack of insult is entirely permitted in the Pit. They are, however, neither required nor expected.