To win the world series next year............

I’m a Pirates fan - to win next year, they should release everyone except Jason Kendall, Jack Wilson, and Oliver Perez. Then, they should sign and trade for the best players in baseball to fill every other position.

How is the Pirates’ farm system?

If at any point the Cardinals feel that Jim Edmonds is expendable I would ask that they contact the Red Sox front office and work something out. That guy is just amazing, and I hope he isn’t unappreciated by Cardinals fans. His perfect bunt in the World Series was, sad to say, the most impressive offensive play by the Cards in that series.

As a Red Sox fan I clearly have little to complain about. We need to maintain one of the best pitching staffs in the majors. I would prioritize Derek Lowe over Pedro Martinez. If Lowe can get it together and pitch like he did in the playoffs he can be utterly devastating. I have heard rumors that Carl Pavano would like to return to the Red Sox and he would be an excellent addition. I don’t think we need any of the big free agent bats like Beltran or Beltre, let the NY teams fight that out. If anything Manny Ramirez may go, freeing salary for more pitching, including resigning Pedro Martiniez.

I am optimistic about the next few years and have faith in the Boston front office. I am a complete homer and would happily watching Bill Mueller at third base for the next ten years. The management clearly realized though that the roster can’t stagnate and I trust them to make the right decisions.

Ah, I’m not even a Mets fan, and I don’t think they’re that far off. Let’s start with the following list:

1. No dropoff from Leiter, Glavine or Stanton
  2. Health, and a step forward, from Reyes
  3. A better year from Kaz Matsui in his second year in the US (see: Matsui, Hideki)
  4. David Wright plays like he did last year, ideally developing a little patience
  5. A couple of mid-level free agent signings that turn out well. Say a Matt Clement, Brad Radke or Derek Lowe for the rotation, and maybe someone along the line of Richie Sexson for 1B.
  6. Find a bullpen, without spending a ton of money on it. They’ve got some pieces - Moreno’s a keeper, and amongst Yates, Bell and Fortunato they could have some decent arms.
  7. Health and reasonable productivity from Piazza and Floyd

Now if all seven of those happen, they’ll be a TON better. I know, it’s not likely - but even if five or six of them happen, that’s a huge difference. None of the seven are that unlikely (well, maybe #1 is).
Are they a likely World Series team, or even a playoff team? No, of course not. But of the teams that finished on the wrong side of .500 last year I think they’re one of the favorites for a vast improvement.

It would also help if they were to trade Joe McEwing to the Devil Rays for a used resin bag and a Don Zimmer bobblehead.