Today's Jeopardy returning champ could have worn a nice outfit

When I was first on Jeopardy! in 1994, contestants were told to bring 3 outfits, and if necessary, 2 of them could be repeated for games 4 and 5. They also had a loose dress code (skirt and blouse/sweater or dress for women, shirt with tie and sweater or jacket for men). I don’t know why they asked for skirts, because the only time anyone could see below your waist was when you walked up to the podium at the beginning (now, you start the show already standing at the podium). I don’t think they would have rejected any women who only brought pants, though. I got the impression they were really suggestions.

I’m sure he’s a nice person, but his costume made me think of the guy at a party who insists on “hypnotizing” people to leave the room and return with their undies on the outside.

But you risk $1500 because it’s a lock game. I know Dopers have several theories on proper betting in Jeopardy, but I thought that when you can’t be caught in Final Jeopardy, then you always wager as much as you can and still win if you lose. I guess it does depends on the category…if it’s opera, and (like me) the extent of your opera knowledge comes from Bugs Bunny, then yeah, I can see doing a lowball bid, but this category (music from movies, or something like that) is more of a general pop-culture thing that I would expect most contestants to be able to think they could wager a fair amount on.

Of course, this is all just speculation from the outside looking in, my attitude might change a lot were I in his shoes.

I think he valued the $20 joke more than the extra $$, and the wife and I like his attitude. He’d won the game, decided to have a little fun. Bravo, says we.