Today's News from Europe

Since this thread has been quite spectacularly civil so far, I shall restrict myself to asking exactly why you felt the London bombings made for a good opportunity to have a go at “the Europeans” (that famously homogenous and not-at-all pluralistic group). Hmm? Felt it was soon enough, did you? Thought, “ooh, fiery dismemberment; you know what this proves…”? Or had the “learn to think with your arse” kit just arrived mailorder from Japan, and you just had to try it out somewhere? Were you channelling the spirits of dead dickheads from the Darwin awards who felt they had one thing left to say? Why, man, why? Did Europeans piss on your cat this morning? Did you get a papercut trying to slice the world news section under the misapprehension that it was some new form of albino bacon, and demand revenge? Why, dammit? And who are you talking to? Where are the GD threads of nearly four years ago entitled “9/11 and why it proves a generous welfare state and rigid worker protections are good methods of skyscraper protection”? Nowhere, I hear you say? Good Lord!

Oh, sod it; no I won’t restrict myself to that. I’ll suggest that I know exactly why you did it, and that it’s because you’re a cunt. Fuck you, buddy, and fuck your stupid fucking inferiority complex and your fictional fucking Europeans and your ludicrously fucking shite sense of timing. Shove it up your fucking arse. Didn’t see you with your searing indictments of American society immediately post-9/11, for some strange fucking reason. Didn’t see me with them, either, actually, or indeed the vast majority of “the Europeans”. That’s because most of us, just like most of your countrymen but oh-so-clearly unlike you, have a sense of common fucking decency. Holy underwhelming revelations, Batman! Europe has problems? SHIT! I must have fucking missed them when I was phoning my friends the other day to see if they were still ALIVE! Thank heaven we have cunts like Paul in Saudi to point this out to us! Make more; arseholes of the world, procreate! But for the love of God keep putting them in Saudi; I think the welter of searing TRUTH would be just too much if they were allowed more than five items of news with which to form their blazingly insightful communiques…

I understand this is the pit, but is there no limit to your profanity?

Are you sure plasmas are out of your range? 42" are down to $1800 for brand names here (and that’s with a 25% sales tax).

And some more advice you didn’t ask for. Don’t skimp on speakers, which are often the weak link in the sound systems.

Firefox is not my friend. Wrong thread. Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Nah, you see 'em stealing food from starving children in the oil-for-food scandal or standing around with their thumbs up their asses waiting for the United States to take care of the Serbs for them. That’s sooo much better …

I started a very poor Wikipedia page on the Italian Unabomber in the hope that someone would fill in all the empty bits. No luck so far.

Badger, bite me (This is the pit after all).

What the heck have the Europeans done in the last (oh, say a century) to be proud of? I admit the British did manage to knock the grime off Westminster, but other than that?

Two collective suicide attempts, retrenchment in the arts, colonialism curtained only by bankruptcy, gas chambers, gulags, ethnic cleansing. Has Europe produced any important music (aside from the Beatles) in our lifetime?

(I am sure I am missing something in the music area, feel free to embarrass me.)

Meanwhile of course America has the shame of (what?) George Wallace and the Tuskegee Experiment?

Badgers? Badgers!! We don’t need no stinkin’ badgers!

Where should we start? The Sex Pistols? Kraftwerk? Bartok (well, he’s within some people’s lifetime)?

I live in Ireland, if you really want to know.

Here’s a thought, any time I start a Pit thread moaning about an entire foreign continent, and all of the people who live therein, based any one of the crappy newspapers we have here, you carry on.

You might be waiting a while, though.

So you’re essentially saying that yes, you are using the London bombings and assorted other tragedies as an opportunity to be a twat? Just so’s we’re clear, like.

Seriously; am I being whooshed here? Can this thread really be summed up as “oh ha ha, little bits of people; what a stunning opportunity for some trans-atlantic chain-yanking!”, or did you have some broader and as-yet-unclear Great Message, besides taking cheap shots? In short, are you the Moses of Twats, or are you just a twat? And when did you become one? Because I really don’t remember you being this much of one before.

In case it wasn’t obvious by now, the point is this: if you want to argue with some snot-nosed Europeans, go and find some fucking examples of them, and argue with them. Or ignore them, I don’t care. I’d probably join in arguing against them, assuming they started it. But don’t come in here like some demented gibbon, a few days after a bunch of Londoners were blown up by terrorists and go off on one at all Europeans, as if being the victims of a terrorist attack proved something. Because it isn’t big and it isn’t clever; it makes you look like a cunt. So take your cutesy catchphrases and stuff 'em, along with your asinine moral relativism and your equally stupid timing.

The Rolling Stones.

I’ll assume that you’re not trolling, just being terminally stupid. I hope you’ll accept Wikipedia as a source:

Albert Einstein
Marie Curie
Wernher von Braun
Alexander Fleming
Rudyard Kipling
William Butler Yeats
George Bernard Shaw
Hermann Hesse
T. S. Eliot
Bertrand Russell
Albert Camus
Jean-Paul Sartre
Samuel Beckett
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
William Golding
Charlie Chaplin
Igor Stravinsky
Pablo Picasso
Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
[Douglas Adams](Douglas Adams)
Paul Dirac
Stephen Hawking
C. S. Lewis
A. A. Milne
Salman Rushdie
Ludwig Wittgenstein
Kingsley Amis
J. R. R. Tolkien
Alfred Hitchcock
Cary Grant
Alec Guinness
The Rolling Stones

The coding takes fucking forever and I’ve only skimmed some names. There are film makers, actors, writers, poets, artists, playwrights, scientists, business people, soldiers, inventors, musicians…

Duck.

Sorry, but this thead was in dire need of a Monty Python reference.

See the small print above. :slight_smile:

Madame Curie died of radiation poisoning. Might want to recinsider her. :slight_smile:

Sure. And some of them made their fortune in the US. Doesn’t take away neither their contributions nor origins.

Ireland gave us Peter O’Toole and Guiness Beer.
Scotland gave us:

John Hannah

so, that’s got him going for them!

Read my post again. Europeans saying they’re “better than the US” is not the same as Europeans saying they’re “better than anyone else on the planet.”

The former is a fairly low bar to clear, especially given the screwups we’ve performed in the last five years.

The latter is akin to delivering commandments on stone tablets from Mt. Sinai, which too many Americans indulge in on a regular basis.

See?

They have always been redundant.

:slight_smile:

The numa-numa song, duh. :stuck_out_tongue:

I apologize to Badger. I apologize to London. In this time of suffering in war, it is not appropriate to use the action of our enemies to score cheap points. I do not think I was doing so, but perhaps this is simply not the time to have this discussion.

Talk amongst yourselves. I doubt I will reenter this thread.

Coward.