Toejam Football Answer...

I’ve always heard that toejam football is English slang for the sport rugby. Anyone else think this?

Cecil’s original column can be found at What is “toejam,” as in “toejam football”?

I’ve never heard rugby referred to with the term, but I’m not particularly British. A fairly thorough Google search doesn’t show any toejam football/rugby connection, for what it’s worth.

Welcome to the SDMB, and thank you for posting your comment.
Please include a link to Cecil’s column if it’s on the straight dope web site.
To include a link, it can be as simple as including the web page location in your post (make sure there is a space before and after the text of the URL).

Cecil’s column can be found on-line at the link provided by our man andros.

The column can also be found on page 260 of Cecil Adams’ book «Return of the Straight Dope».

moderator, «Comments on Cecil’s Columns»

Toejam football = rugby? Because your toes can get jammed in someone’s face?

Maybe one of our British dopers can enlighten us, but I’ve never heard that. A web search on pages containing “toejam” and “rugby” only found a bunch of pages listing computer games, since there are games with the word rugby and another computer game called Toejam and Earl.

Actually, I am British. Although it isn’t a well-used phrase, it has cropped up as being slang for rugby a couple of times.

Mikell,it seems likeliest to me that the term got used for rugby because of the song, not the other way around. Is there any evidence of it being used before the Beatles?

trimming my toenails tonight after a bath, and Dog #2 (the puppy one) jumps up on the bed. Sniffs the pile of toenail clippings. Excitedly picks up the biggest, stinkiest one and chews on it like a piece of gum, an expression of doggy delight on her goofy face.

Currently, she’s licking all my toes, seeking out the best bits.

Tell me again why we have dogs as house pets?

:eek: :eek: :eek: