Totally Stupid or Useless PSA's

Oh, I remember that guy! His name was Timer. He starred in an Afterschool Special about the human body. It was a pretty good entry in that series as I recall. Successful too, since they gave him the cheese gig.

I actually kinda liked Timer.

The stand has some blurb about squeezing every drop of power out of your batteries, and shows one of them being rolled up like a nearly empty tube of toothpaste.

I don’t care what you people say, that is the single greatest anti-anything slogan ever, and one I still use.

I’m straight and not into teenaged boys, but I’ll save the women and gay men here the trouble and ask, How YOU doin’? :wink:

Since those ads usually ran during a baseball game or Afternoon Rainout Theater, I assume they were aimed as much to the guys who used them as the kids who could find them. And how do lasting caps “stray?” Do they have legs? And why is Johnny Bench collecting blasting caps? Was that his job off-season? Because it looks like it’s the middle of the baseball season to me.

[Chris Farley]I bet he goes to **Yankton ** High School![/Chris Farley]

I hanker for a hunka, a slab or slice or chunka, I hanker for a hunka cheese!

I’ve never seen blasting caps in my life. Except in those ads.

The Tine for Timer videos were great – the cheese one and the eat some kind of breakfast one.

I always thought,“Can I still eat the egg?”

Let’s keep it down or I’ll make you count to 10…and think again.

And now for something truly out of left field - an anti-littering PSA by David Lynch.

Yes, THAT David Lynch.

Wow.

I title that one “Littering gives power to the Rat-God.”

I remember the “Wagon Wheel” snack one, and “Sunshine on a Stick”, frozen fruit juice in a ice cube tray with toothpicks for handles. Obviously the USDA was also in kahoots with Big Orange Juice as well as Big Cheese.

Hanker for a Hunka Cheese (Wagon Wheel) – Time for Timer PSA: "Hanker for a Hunk o' Cheese" (1970s) - YouTube

You Are What You Eat – time for timer- "you are what you eat!" - YouTube

Sunshine on a Stick – VINTAGE 80'S "TIME FOR TIMER" PSA COMMERCIAL SUNSHINE ON A STICK - YouTube

My favorite: Quickie Breakfast – - YouTube

A hard-boiled egg,
Or chicken leg,
Or cheese or luncheon meat,
Or peanut butter sandwich,
Any time of day is a treat!

Timer: American children of the '70’s, there is something you can be number one at in 35 years and all you have to do is eat fried chicken for breakfast and snack on a wheel of cheese.

Out of curiosity, was there some way, outside of these ads, that we were supposed to know this guy’s name was “Timer”? I remember seeing these ads many, many times as a kid, but I never did understand what he was saying at the beginning (“Time for Timer”), and even if I had I don’t think my kid-brain would have identified “Timer” as a proper name. This thread is the first I’ve heard of it being the character’s name.

I remember long ago that the gov released new nutrition guidelines that discouraged processed meats like hotdogs, and the fuckin’ hotdog lobby produced a PSA defending how healthy and good for you their products supposedly were. I can’t recall much else in the way of details.

OK, the Time For Timer PSAs were pretty good. But even better were the Schoolhouse Rock shorts. Educational, fun and very memorable.

PSA effectiveness notwithstanding, it’s called a freaking metaphor. I mean, seriously.

They do?

I had no idea this was for the LDS when I was a kid. It was just pure terror in a PSA. So maybe it was useful?

Lying: - YouTube

I…just…um…er…what…uh…can’t…

Wow.

Like, totally awesome!

[Boo! Surprise David Hasselhoff!!]