Tough-Guy One-Liners

I was going to mention They Live. I thought that line was so gay and so clever at the same time. How tough is bubblegum? On one hand, it’s a good line, but friggin’ bubblegum?! BUBBLEGUM? I mean, why not just go for it and say “I’m here to kick ass and do ballet, and my ballet shoes are totally worn out.”

I’ve always been partial to Bill Murray’s line in Ghostbusters, “Let’s show this prehistoric bitch how we do things downtown.”

clint eastwood in pale rider (i think) when the youngbuck asked clint if they were going to bury a guy they just killed. to which he responds: “buzzards gotta eat same as worms”

“Say goodnight sweet prince.”

I don’t think that’s from anything, but I like it nonetheless.

Okay, maybe I misread tetsusaru’s original post, but I thought he was asking about those funny/ironic lines that heroes utter, usually in the form of a terrible double entendre, when they have finally waxed the bad guy. None spring to mind at the moment, probably because they’re so awful that I block them from memory, but examples of the breed follow:

Hero pushes villain from helicopter. Buddy: “Where’s Mr. Bad?” Hero: “He stepped out.”

Villain gets eaten by giant shark. Hero: “Drop me a line.”

Fortunately (?) no real ones are coming to mind at the moment.

<8)))><

Clint (Da Man): “There are two kinds of people in this world, those with guns, and those that dig.
Dig.”

I think you’re thinking of Horatio’s line towards the end of Hamlet:

(And a minor harrumph that I couldn’t figure out how to get this indented without having either “quote” or “code” appear.)

That’s where its from alright, except I heard my version on Newsradio when Matthew and Joe where supposed to fight each other.

Nah, if you’re talking Ghostbusters, the only macho line worth quoting is “This chick is TOAST!

“Suddenly, I heard a tapping,as if someone gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door. You heard me rapping, right?”-Eric Draven

“Come on Funboy - take your best shot, you got me dead bang”-Eric Draven

“Victims, aren’t we all”- Eric Draven

“Guess it’s not a good day to be a bad guy, eh Skank?” - Eric Draven

“They’re all dead. They just don’t know it yet.”- Eric Draven
Can you tell I dig The Crow ?

Kai to Fifi (yeah, it’s a guy) in LEXX: Gametown–
“I am an assassin, but I will not kill you. (beat) Yet.”

I have to say Bruce Campbell is the KING of one-liners. -

“Blow, baby”

“Resistance is futile”

“You will be assimilated”

“I’d buy that for a dollar”

Fergus (Stephen Rae) in Crying Game, with a great threatening line: “Did you ever try to pick up your teeth with broken fingers?”

As far as the ironic, double-entendre, groan-inducing, after-dispatching-the-bad-guy quotes, you can’t beat James Bond:

• “He got the point.” (after shooting Vargas with spear gun)
  • “Mind if my partner sits this one out? She’s just dead.” (Fiona gets shot on the dance floor)

and many others…

I wish I could remember what movie this is from, but John Wayne’s character is playing poker. The Duke says to the dealer, “I’ll take the next one off the top.”

Little Bill Daggett: You just shot an unarmed man!
Bill Munny: He should have armed himself if he’s gonna decorate his saloon with my friend.

. . .

Bill Munny: All right now, I’m comin’ out. Any man I see out there, I’m gonna shoot him. Any sumbitch takes a shot at me, I’m not only gonna kill him, but I’m gonna kill his wife. All his friends. Burn his damn house down.

Unforgiven

I can’t remember the exact line, but in Evil Dead 2 doesn’t Ash say say something like, ‘Come on, she-bitch!’.

“I’ve got CHUNKS of guys like you in my stool!” - Phil Hartmann as Frank Sinatra.

I liked Arnie’s line to the girl in Commando:

“What happened to Sully?”
“I let him go.”

James Coburn as The President’s Analyst, pinned down by villains, jumps up from cover, sprays a few dozen rounds from his machine gun, and shouts:

Take that, you hostile bastards!

Sorry Wiggum, for my money the best two lines from Commando are:

Rae Dawn Chong asks Matrix “what happened to Sully?” after Matrix dropped him off the cliff. The reply?
“I let him go.”

Cooke (the mean looking black guy) is sitting in a cadillac on the showroom floor, and says “You know what I like best about it? The price.” then drives over the salesman and through the window into the street.

And I believe this line was “Good…bad…I’m the guy with the gun.”

from Untouchables:

George Stone: “Where’s Nitti?”
Eliot Ness: “He’s in the car”

IMHO, the best line is from Clint in “Outlaw Josey Wales”:

When Clint asks the bounty hunter why he’s hunting Josey, the guy says,“It’s a living.”

Clint doesn’t bat an eye and replies “Dying ain’t much of a living.”

Clint is the original badass.