Trading spouses

Did anybody watch this last night? I taped it and plan on watching it later.

Yeah, it was interesting. This week there is MUCH more conflict involved. The rich family is a bunch of lazy people and the lower middle class mom wants them to get up and do work around the house. While the rich mom is all carb conscious and the low middle class family is about pizza and fatty foods.

Lisa Bowers is a classic “Mama” type where everything in her household has to revolve around her, she has to control eveything, she has to have the utter final word. Everyone in her household falls in line with it because it’s what make them happy, too. I’ll bet she used to relate to Roseanne in a big way.

But man, is she obnoxious. She really resents the Pilek’s lifestyles and her envy is palpably undermining her experience. I think she was prepared to spend her time running the household, but once she realized there was a maid, she realized how little she would be needed. I’m not even she if she’s aware of how obnoxious she is, ordering the Pilek kids around that way. She made no effort to bond with them first.

Samantha Pilek is an interesting woman: she’s been able to carve this very privileged life for herself without being condescending or unduly pampered. She’s clearly worried about the Bower family eating habits and I won’t be a bit surprised if her allocation of the $50,000 revolves around somehow putting that whole family on a healther lifestyle (after allocating money for a new car. LOL.) I am amazed she’s been able to soft-peddle everyone as easily as she has.

The Pilek family kills me, though. They have perfected the art of freezing people out that they don’t like. How is it they all managed to go down to the beach and no one thought to bring a chair for Lisa? Neither of them – Lisa Bowers or Jurek Pilek – has made any real effort to bridge the gap between them. I grant you that Lisa does not make it easy, but I’m a bit surprised Jurek isn’t more accomodating. I guess a yacht captain he doesn’t have to be, the way a chauffeur would (or maybe he’s not because she’s not rich and powerful.)

And nope, sorry. The Pileks aren’t rich either (especially by Orange County standards), although I suspect they’re better off than the Nakamuras. Samantha described her family as “upper middle class” and I really don’t believe she was lying to the kids for the sake of being polite.

Sorry, Askia, I have to chime in here. Rich is relative. Just because they aren’t living the lifestyles of the rich and famous doesn’t mean they aren’t “rich” or “well off.” The Nakamuras are obviously not hurting for anything, and money isn’t a huge concern for them. A lot of us would consider that rich.

And as for the Biggens, I’d say they’re lower middle-class. They struggle financially, but then so does everyone I know. Most middle class people work hard for their money and are thrifty when it comes to eating out, etc. I thought they seemed to be doing ok, if not great. They weren’t poverty stricken, IMO.

Again, it’s all relative.

I was also impressed at how Samantha Pilek is handling herself at the Bowers home. I’m looking forward to next week’s show and their Party since I live only a few miles away from them. Maybe I’ll see someone I know :eek: Oh and the Pilek kids, total South OC attitudes.

Dreamer, did you see the party?

What I got from these two episodes with the Bowers and Pilek families is how important mom is. Samantha brought out the best in the Bowers family, and Lisa brought out the worst in the Pileks.

And how much are the Pileks paying for that “vocal coach”? Money wasted.

Samantha’s friends were rather bitchy , don’t you think?

First of all, I can’t believe I watched this show. It was like rubber-necking a car accident.

Anyway, I don’t think Lisa’s asking the kids to empty the dishwasher or fold a load of towels was “ordering them around.” Those kids were spoiled rotten. For the Pilek son to say she was being mean to her talking to her “that way” was way out of line.
When they went to the batting cages, he wouldn’t even look her in the eye when she was talking to him afterwards. Yeah, she comes off as a little more abrasive than he’s used to, but he could at least be civil to her.
And she was absolutely right when the singing coach was there - the daughter shouldn’t be sitting all hunched over like that. She should be standing up and projecting. Everyone else thought Lisa was wrong, but she was right on target.
And yes, Samamtha’s friends were bitchy and very catty, especially the dark-haired neighbor who made fun of her being a dental hygenist. It seemed like she made sure they all knew what she did beforehand and got someone to ask about so they could poke fun - did you catch how she made the comment about how “She’s a dental hygenist, but she doesn’t clean teeth” was all sarcastic?

One question: Why were all the logos blurred out? The cereal boxes and both of the boy’s baseball cap logos?

I don’t watch the show or anything, just entertaining myself by reading this thread. I just wanted to give this very funny comeback the credit it deserved.

BiblioCat, I have to disagree with most of your comments.

That’s ridiculous. She was brand new to the house and she was demanding that the children do things they’ve never had to do. That is totally bossing them around. She didn’t even try to ask nicely. She just demanded that these chores be done because she felt the children were spoiled. They have a maid. The whole point of having a maid is so you and your children do not have to wash dishes or clean the kitchen.
This does not make the children lazy. The son was outside playing basketball at the time – something a child should be doing. Her idea that “making children do chores will ensure they are not lazy or spoiled” has obviously not worked for her own children. Her children are both fat and lazy. Did you see how difficult it was just to get the son out of bed. Making children do chores does nothing to benefit a child’s character. Granted, it doesn’t hurt them. But it’s not a magical teacher of life’s lessons.
She should have accepted the fact that the family had a maid and ran with it. Ordering the children to do things was completely out of line. She just wanted to be “in charge”. Because she’s a royal bitch.

Here is a child who is used to his mother giving him POSITIVE FEEDBACK. He is used to being told that he can achieve things and that he is doing well. Enter the mammoth bitch. She was degrading him with every swing. “That was definitely a strike”, “Cmon hit something”, “What are you swinging at?”, plus all the laughing… She could not have been more insulting or degrading to that child. He was used to hearing “Good swing”, “That’s it, just straighten it out next time”, “Good Eye, son”, “Great Hit!!”. He’s used to a decent loving mother who takes interest in what he does. This lady was a total bitch, just there to put him down and make fun of him. Just like she does to her own kids. That’s why they both have self-esteem issues. I think he did well by simply ignoring her. If that was me at his age, I would have exchanged words with that lady.
“Respect those who respect you”, I was taught.

Ok… I think this is where tact comes in. She may have had a good point. But no one is going to listen to someone being a bitch about it. She was totally out of line for the way she was saying those things. Again, she could have been nicer or more positive about it. And possibly a little more sober!

Did you even see the previous conversation they had. Well it all started with mammoth bitch on the front lawn INSULTING the entire neighborhood. She was putting down the color schemes, the small yards, the lack of animals. She was trying to appear superior to them. “All these houses could fit in my yard”. What the fuck is wrong with this lady!? She’s making fun of these people for having neutral colored houses with small yards. She was not discussing the issues, she was insulting them. She was making fun of it, and laughing about it.
I highly doubt these people would have ignored her on the yacht had she not been a bitch to them earlier.
The “dental hygenist” thing started in front of the house too. When asked what she does for a living, she responded “I’m a dental hygenist”.
“Oh, so you clean teeth”
“No, I do dental therapy and I diagnose things”
“Dental therapy? What’s involved in that”
“I… Well. . . I clean the teeth”
She was totally called out. She tried to be superior and use big words for what she does for a living and they called her on it. She back-pedalled and admitted, “I clean teeth”. I thought this was hilarious. On the yatch, the brunette says “She’s a dental hygenist but she doesn’t clean teeth”. She was definitely making fun of her. But not because of her profession. She was teasing her, because she was being a bitch with a superiority complex earlier.

That lady has severe confidence and self esteem isssues and she puts down other people, including her own family, to compensate!!!

I loved it when the guy finally shut her up in the fron yard. She would not close that huge obnoxious mouth of hers. But that guy asks “So. . . how big is your trailor?” That sure shut her up!! My sister and I high-fived. Hard.

Oh, and just to add. I thought the little blonde girl was adorable!! I dont think she had an “attitude”, OC or otherwise.
The bitch lady had a really nice family, suprisingly. It is no doubt due to the father’s upbringing. He ever told the wife to “BE NICE” when she got back and immediately started making fun of the other family.

The blonde mother did such great things for those kids. The chef thing, the shopping. She was great! Those kids loved her. They’ve never been treated so nice or told how great they are or can be!! When told their mother would be returning tomorrow, they were like “What?! Why?? No!!!” And that husband never once said, “I miss my wife”. And everyone commented on how nice this new lady was. And that one neighbor says “I haven’t heard any yelling from the house in the past couple days”. That lady was one of the worst people I’ve ever seen – on tv or otherwise.
Oh. . . and $10,000 for braces? What the freak kind of crap is that???

I came in to give my opinion on the show, but I see that Bear_Nenno has done a great job for me already. So, what he said. :wink:

Ditto.

I don’t get the braces either. Or the family room furniture. Seemed like Lisa was going for a put-down – she thinks the Pileks don’t pay enough attention to their kids.

I do sorta feel sorry for Lisa’s husband when (if) he watches the show. There’ll be the catty comment from the yacht, “Can you imagine what the husband is like?” Plus the comparison of the way Lisa and Samantha treat people.

The network should pay for marital counseling.

How do you go about getting to know complete strangers?

Moving in with them doesn’t seem like an ideal way to start. How do you find out what people’s interests are, quickly, without sounding like you’re interviewing them?

Seems like this is a social situation that Emily Post and Miss Manners or most of us have never encountered. It’s not like dating, or starting a new school, or going off to boot camp or college.

Is there a social situation like this where people are more successful getting to know each other? Exchange student programs, maybe?

Yes, I saw and No, I didn’t recognize anyone. I hang out with “Down to Earth” people so there was no way I was going to see anyone I know :wink:

I have a sister that is exactly like Lisa…vindictive, spiteful, bossy, and jealous.

always ready to spot the bad in other peoples kids and homes except hers.

the only way to shut her up is to give her some of her own medicine.

hopefully after watching the show…she’ll change for the better.

And RIGHT-ON to what Bear_Nenno said!!!

I absolutely LOVED the fact that the Bowers family loved Mrs. Pilek to point of kinda not wanting her to go. I wonder when was the last time the Bowers’ son said “I love you” to his real mom? Mrs. Bowers sneered and laughed that Mrs. Pilek’s “positive and optimisitic outlook” but it seemed the rest of her family basically told her to shut up when she was trying to make fun.

Though I’m happy about this episode. The easily could have fallen into a rut where the rich mom is a bitch and the lower middle class mom is a nice woman, like last week’s episode, but they decided to do a turnabout.

Now trading dad’s should be really good fun!

I adore this show. Next week it looks like there is a meltdown by one of the wives when she finds out the other father decides how to spend their 50 grand.

Did Samantha Pilek ever say how she had planned to spend her family’s 50 grand before she discovered the twist?

kka, I don’t think so.

She did comment about the Bowers house having just one shower, and she told Mr. Bowers he needed to spring for a better ride – but I don’t remember if that was before or after the twist was revealed.

Does anybody know why there was a rerun on last night? Last week they advertised a new episode with two dads switching place?